I love the sound of the bass in this song, but i am having a hard time even getting close to the tone. Any suggestions? I have a MIM Fender Jazz and a line 6 LD300
Tim Commerfields tone is damn near impossible to emulate.
but i say just fiddle with knobs till you get close
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
well he uses fender jazzes (which you have) and ampeg bass amps (which there is probably a setting for). i think you eq it something around turning the bass down a little and pushing the treble up a good amount and the mids up a tad.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Do a search for him in here, questions about his sound are asked quite often and several times msyelf and others have posted basically every rig he's used, when he used it and some settings as well.

If you aren't that patient, then go through your amp models on your amplifier, if I'm correct it has an SVT setting, choose that. Then turn up the treble and high mids for that sharp/punchy sound and boost your mids for that Jazz growl.

EDIT: I think the "grind" setting is modeled after an SVT.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219
Do a search for him in here, questions about his sound are asked quite often and several times msyelf and others have posted basically every rig he's used, when he used it and some settings as well.

If you aren't that patient, then go through your amp models on your amplifier, if I'm correct it has an SVT setting, choose that. Then turn up the treble and high mids for that sharp/punchy sound and boost your mids for that Jazz growl.

EDIT: I think the "grind" setting is modeled after an SVT.

the rock setting is an svt and the grind is a sans amp PSA-1 into an svt mixed with a clean signal
I'm pretty sure he uses his homemade distortion pedal on that song, not in the intro, buyt immediately following. That could be where you aren't able to emulate his tone.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by kyle1528
the rock setting is an svt and the grind is a sans amp PSA-1 into an svt mixed with a clean signal

Try the rock setting since Tim usually uses/used SVT heads.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by MX4Life
I'm pretty sure he uses his homemade distortion pedal on that song, not in the intro, buyt immediately following. That could be where you aren't able to emulate his tone.

actually i was going more for the intro
Tim used a Musicman Stingray for the debut album, which is partially the explanation since you have a Jbass.

Also the pickup coil winding that watchingmefall is also true with Commerford's basses.

The active soapbar coupled with unique winding is how you would get this song's tone. However you shouldnt try to emulate it exactly since most of the time it isn't worth it.

Usually a scooped eq with emphasis on treble and some overdrive is suitable enough.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Quote by Killibinizik
Tim used a Musicman Stingray for the debut album, which is partially the explanation since you have a Jbass.

Also the pickup coil winding that watchingmefall is also true with Commerford's basses.

The active soapbar coupled with unique winding is how you would get this song's tone. However you shouldnt try to emulate it exactly since most of the time it isn't worth it.

Usually a scooped eq with emphasis on treble and some overdrive is suitable enough.

All that is true, and we can't forget one of the most important aspects in a bassist's tone (and I'd say, the MOST important), Tim's technique and fingers.