So lately ive been on this streak of trying to push myself as hard as i can to become a better guitarist. Its been going well, getting those jams where when you put down the guitar and your like man i feel alot better, almost like you can feel the progress you made. Until today, i picked up my guitar, did my warm ups and jammed a few tracks and then just sat there trying to find what to play. Im at a loss and i need some advice. Im a metal guitarist (not that good thou) i play mainly 3 inches of blood style guitaring but i find im not playing what i want to play. How can i make the transition from stuff thats a bit thrashy like 3ib to stuff like kamelot and luci trilli.
is there any songs or bands that you all could suggest to help a good transition. my solo'ing skills are still minimal at best lol but rhytmic is well.

Also on a side note i was think of looking for sorta a mentor guitarist, like finding a band to learn multiple songs from to try and grasp thier guitar styles. Is this a good idea? or would it be better to keep my play styles diverse?
I have the same problem dude. some days i play, n i feel ive done my 3 years of practice the justice it deserves, n other days i feel like smashin my guitar over somones head. To be totally honest, if youre still a mediocre player, (in my opinion) you should be trying to seek out a style of your own... a lot of the best players jus tw*t around on their guitars until they find somthing they like, n then they roll with it. As for the soloing skills, i know exactly how u feel. in my situation, i was in a band as the rhythm player, and when we went our seperate ways, i carried on as strictly rhythm...now tho, my old band want to get together again, n im being shoved forward for lead work (our old lead guitarist moved away) but i know im no way good enough. with practice tho, things will get better.. anyway i digress lmao. find a style of ur own, that u feel comfortable n happy with.
Solo work is hard especially because you need your theory to do it properly you need stuff like scales and arpeggios and put more life into the scales by adding techniques such as bends and whatever oh and everyone gets those days when you want to break your guitar cause you can't seem to play it properly or as good as you could yesterday. Never compare yourself to other guitarists and if you always believe you can better and you will.
Practice,Practice,Practice. Every scale from major to chromatic to Locrian and every thing you know, the better you are at becoming perfect at things you know is good, rather than pushing yourself to learn and master a 6 string sweep pattern when you need to take time to learn everything your able to then move on to harder stuff and especailly learn your THEORY.
im not going against Metalshredder or anything, but....

I only know that simple Pentatonic scale, then i made my own scales. So if you dont think you have to learn scales, you dont have to lol.
However, learning scales and modes will not in anyway hurt.
but you gotta learn licks at least, get some great instructional videos, download them, buy them, whatever! just get some and start copying note for note, up picks to down picks.
This is probably sound like the lamest advice but take some theory classes. They help you understand music better and if you can understand music, you can expand towards anything you'd like. Also try some completly new styles, not just metal because if you overplay it you might get bored, and it's always good to include components of different styles into your music. Most good guitarists know more than one style, that's why they can write such interesting songs. The ones that don't and focus only on one thing might end up writting the same stuff over and over.
Quote by Sheepbane
So lately ive been on this streak of trying to push myself as hard as i can to become a better guitarist. Its been going well, getting those jams where when you put down the guitar and your like man i feel alot better, almost like you can feel the progress you made. Until today, i picked up my guitar, did my warm ups and jammed a few tracks and then just sat there trying to find what to play. Im at a loss and i need some advice. Im a metal guitarist (not that good thou) i play mainly 3 inches of blood style guitaring but i find im not playing what i want to play. How can i make the transition from stuff thats a bit thrashy like 3ib to stuff like kamelot and luci trilli.
is there any songs or bands that you all could suggest to help a good transition. my solo'ing skills are still minimal at best lol but rhytmic is well.

Also on a side note i was think of looking for sorta a mentor guitarist, like finding a band to learn multiple songs from to try and grasp thier guitar styles. Is this a good idea? or would it be better to keep my play styles diverse?

You should branch outside of metal, for starters. It's good to be well rounded, and be influenced by several genres (even if you don't like them all).

I think it's good to have a guitarist to base your own style off of, but why limit yourself to one? I'm influenced by Jimmy Page and Alex Lifeson primarily, but also by Kirk Hammett, Tony Iommi, Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, George Benson. So, do you see where I'm going with this?

If you get yourself influenced by a multitude of genres and a multitude of guitarists, and play several different styles of music, then you will have a more interesting style. It's good to be a well rounded player, and you will be able to keep a job as guitarist easier if you are.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)