So lately ive been on this streak of trying to push myself as hard as i can to become a better guitarist. Its been going well, getting those jams where when you put down the guitar and your like man i feel alot better, almost like you can feel the progress you made. Until today, i picked up my guitar, did my warm ups and jammed a few tracks and then just sat there trying to find what to play. Im at a loss and i need some advice. Im a metal guitarist (not that good thou) i play mainly 3 inches of blood style guitaring but i find im not playing what i want to play. How can i make the transition from stuff thats a bit thrashy like 3ib to stuff like kamelot and luci trilli.
is there any songs or bands that you all could suggest to help a good transition. my solo'ing skills are still minimal at best lol but rhytmic is well.

Also on a side note i was think of looking for sorta a mentor guitarist, like finding a band to learn multiple songs from to try and grasp thier guitar styles. Is this a good idea? or would it be better to keep my play styles diverse?
Trivium, All That Remains, Guns N Roses, PANTERA, Black Label Society, Anything by Paul Gilbert, Alice In Chains. Whatever you like dude
Stoecker
Also on a side note i was think of looking for sorta a mentor guitarist, like finding a band to learn multiple songs from to try and grasp thier guitar styles. Is this a good idea? or would it be better to keep my play styles diverse?

heres the thing with this, its ok to start out like this, but then you'll start sounding like slash, van halen, hammett, not that these are bad people to sound like but these guys are already on the scene. i recommend listening and taking as "mentors" a WIDE variety of musicians, some of my personal mentors include Paul Gilbert, Kirk Hammet, Dimebag Darrell, Mozart, Beethoven, BB King and Eric Clapton. Good luck to ya!
Try Picking a good Jam song you can just mess around with. Or learn a new song, which sound challenging, but you can put the time and effort in to learn it
|
Symphony is only very hard when you take into consideration its guitar solo. A lot of advanced playing techniques in there. I'd think hard about learning Anthem or Trepidation. Good basic parts that require you to have relatively good alternate picking. They build stamina and the solos in those songs are quite tough (well except the first one in anthem). Seize the day has a lovely little GNR style solo in it. Not a big fan of that band but that solo is quite nice. It looks like you read Total guitar, I think.

I'd learn Seize the day for the solo. I'm a sucker for melody.

Threadstarter, learning a bands style really does help. I've recently went on a bit of a megadeth learning spree. Its important not to stick to one bands back catalogue when you want to improve. Just branch out a little.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
If you don't mind being kept busy for a while, learn all the leads to Hangar 18 by Megadeth.
Well, this happend to me quiet a few times.

You know Doyle Brunson? He's one of the best poker players in history.
Once he invited a friend to see him playing and the freind said: "You're actually playing really bad." He had played poker every day for at least 4 hours for 2 years. Then he realised that he had to take a break and he did.
Same to me.
Just take a let your guitar rest or 3 days and enjoy the sun. I promise you you will be much better afterwards.
Quote by Galvanise69
I have the same problem as threadstarter.... and i was deciding between 5 tabs....

Megadeth - Symphonies of destruction
Trivium - anthem(we are the fire)
Trivium - A gunshot to the head of trepidation
Black sabbath - War pigs
Avenged sevenfold - seizer the day

These are the tabs out of the magazines i have

If i could get some oppinions that would be greatly appreciated

The Megadeth song is awsome to jam to, but the solo is tricky.
Trivium is amazing! Gunshot is a sick song.
A7x......eh. i dont like that song, at all. Try betrayed. Its a good song.
well if you want some weird transitions or like new sounds you could check out some experimental bands like mars volta, fall of troy, liquid tension experiment or guitarists