I was wondering how some other people setup thier line 6's for a good metal sound.
ive been trying to craft a good sound out of my spyder 212 and want to hear what other people came up with.
my current metal setting is:

Insane, Drive: 10 Bass: 7 Mid: 0 Trebal: 10.

Throw a little Chours Flanger and Sweep Echo on lightly for solo's
wow.. thats scooped mids *almost* to the max.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Sheepbane
spyder 212

that's your problem right there...
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
you see the "off" switch?

you need a better amp really and it doesn't have a "y", it's just the "Spider"

if you're keeping it though DONT SCOOP THE MIDS SO DAMN MUCH
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
yea...you made a mistake by talkin about the spider amps on here. i love mine. but i dont use its distortion. but yea...for some reason people tend to follow everyone else and they hate the spiders. but dont listen to em lol
i have mine on bass: 10 drive:9 mid :7 treb: 9 Chan vol: 9.5......
my preset i use is 80s:MASTER PUPS

it sounds pretty good for death metal. i play a lot of behemoth. its perfect for that. also if you use my settings, once you get it all set up, turn the treb knob down to like 5 and then turn it back up to 9... idk why, but it makes a lot better of a sound. stupid line 6's are so glitchy. i hate it, but i deal with it :/
^ no his problem is he's got his highs dimed, terrible tone I just shutter. Take ur highs around 12-1 o clock. Mids at 9-10 o clock and bass 1-2 o clock. And for christsake, please don't dime your gain. UGHH! Take the gain down to around 2-3 o clock
you suck, dude lower the treble for one thing another is dont 4get the LEVELS you got crunch, off-set cunch, metal, off-set metal, insane, and off-set insane its all right there, your obvoisly a n00b otherwise you wouldn't be asking for other peoples preferred settings, just ****in screw around with it till it sounds cool, just like i told that other kid about the metal solos
Two problems:

1) Your amp... Spider II is garbage!

2) Scooped mids... it may "sound cool" in your bedroom, but you can't play in a band with all your mids scooped out because all you'll hear is fuzz. It's a delicate balance and mix, but adding a good amount of mids will make your tone so much heavier... and much clearer and more defined.
Quote by sfsknight07
yea...you made a mistake by talkin about the spider amps on here. i love mine. but i dont use its distortion. but yea...for some reason people tend to follow everyone else and they hate the spiders. but dont listen to em lol

i'm not following the others...
i've played the spider II 150watt head extensively as a friend used to have one...
and it is possibly the worst sounding amp i've ever played.

unless you like incomprehensible distortion, and thin cleans...?
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by sfsknight07

haha "dont listin to em" thats the spirit go through life not paying attention to what anyone with greater knowledge than you says because you know best don't you.

I dont follow anyone- ive had first hand experience with them
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Don't have a spider, but for heavy metal tone i always use this settings:
Bass: 6-7
Mid:4
Treble: 6-7
Gain: Enough to stay in metal zone without being too fuzzy.

For soloing, increase the mid to 6 or 7.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I'm not fond of the spiders myself they just don't sound right to me. Get a PODxt Live, and a good tube head. Then Dial in the "treadplate dual' amp model, no cab, output set to combo or stack input of your choice.

Oh, and try not scooping the mids to the extreme. In a band setting, it only makes for unintelligible fuzz. Play with your mids more, and try to find that balance.
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs
For Classic Rock and Thrash Metal, etc., I have it set to:
Metal, Bass - 8, Treble - 9, Mids - 3, Drive - 8, and Scoop - 4.

For newer Metal or Punk, etc., I have the same settings on Pulverize with Treble at 10 and Bass at 6.

For Death Metal or really Hardcore Numetal, Insane, Bass - 10, Treble - 6, Mid, 0, Drive - 9, and Scoop - 4
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by sfsknight07
got 6 years experience. i think im pretty well set.

haha wasnt expecting that to be honest, but 6 years and you still cant hear that the spider sounds like crap?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

I use a PRS SE Custom and a modded LP Studio, and both make very different sounds and so I eq them depending. But generally, I try to keep a punchy mid prescence and go for bass 6, mid 7, treble 5 with minor adjustments, like rolling of the mids a bit with the PRS. Also I use gain about 7 o'clock and let the guitar handle the distorsion
Quote by sfsknight07

You have obviously never even heard a tube amp. I have a Spider II 212 as well, and if you mess with the settings A LOT you can get some decent tones out of it, but it still gets blown out of the water by a tube amp.

First rule: Don't use either of the insane settings. The green metal setting is fine for most metal. I put the drive, bass, and treble at 10, and the mids at 0, because the mid knob on this setting is like a mini modeling amp, at 0 it's like a fuzz pedal.
Second rule: Get a new amp when you have the money.
I have an Uber Metal that I have on the Pulverize setting.
EQ in terms of o'clock:
Level-5
Scoop-9
Drive-5
Bass-5
Mid-5
Treble-10
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead