Hey folks,
I have a Cort G254, which I like quite a bit, and I was looking up the specs once again, and the body is made of basswood. I know most of the body woods not too bad, but I'm actually unfamiliar with basswood (other then from playing my own guitar for 4 years-ish). So, what are the qualities of basswood, and how would you guys compare it to many of the other standard body woods?

Edit: Did the rhyme in the title entice anyone else? No? Yeah, I'm weird.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Last edited by Revalk at Mar 13, 2007,
Ive heard people say that it doesnt really sustain or resonates as well as alder, but i can never really tell. The only difference i can really tell is that basswood is usually a tad bit warmer than alder.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Tonally, it strikes a balance between Mahogany and Alder. It is one of the lightest common tone woods.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I'm not a fan of, it, but every note strikes through clearly. Think Steve Vai, his tone is a good example.
Dickless.
I really like the tone of my guitar, for sure. So basswood isn't necessarily a bad wood or anything (I seemed to get this impression from a few other threads), it's just a tone that you may or may not happen to like over something else (alder, mahogany)?
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Seems to be the case for me.
Don't forget, there are different grades of wood so some of the cheaper basswood guitars will have qualities that people may not like but the more expensive ones will probably be better.
Quote by DaveTaylor
Don't forget, there are different grades of wood so some of the cheaper basswood guitars will have qualities that people may not like but the more expensive ones will probably be better.
Yeah, makes sense. Forgot about that kind of thing.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Quote by DaveTaylor

Even the low quality types are better than agathis.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I'm not a fan of, it, but every note strikes through clearly. Think Steve Vai, his tone is a good example.

actually, no.
Vai's EVO guitar, his main guitar that he does virtually everything with, is alder...

but his Bad Horsie, and all his Universes are basswood, so I guess you can be half right..
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
My favourite guitar, OLP Benji Madden Signature is made of basswood and it is absolutely awesome and handles anything amazingly.
Cort M800 - £320
Cort MR780FX - £220
It is very neutral tone wise. Compared to other tonewoods, it is right between mahogany and alder. Shredders use alot of basswood guitars because it allows them to make the best out of their pickup and its characteristics since it is so neutral. It is very light as well, neat bonus that.

One of the gripes many people have, is that it is very easy to damage it and put dents in.

Famous player I know who uses basswood would be Petrucci, Satriani and some Vai. Not sure of any more?
Ya, it's sort of a mix of gibson and fender. It is also extremely light, but doesn't give up tone, which is a huge bonus. The only downside to it is that it dents extremely easy (like 5 lbs of pressure from a pencil tip will pierce it), so be careful.

Another little fun fact is that it is pronounced basssswood(like the fish called bass) and not like base-wood. 90% of the time I hear guitarists call it the base-wood way.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Striketalonx
actually, no.
Vai's EVO guitar, his main guitar that he does virtually everything with, is alder...

but his Bad Horsie, and all his Universes are basswood, so I guess you can be half right..

God damnit .

Isn't his signature basswood though?
Dickless.
^his first guitar the ones the rg 770 are based of are basswood.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I'm not keen on basswood for tone on basses, may be different with guitar though. But cheaper guitars made of basswood usually sound a bit better than the others made of agathis and other cheaper woods. In high end guitars though, i prefer alder or mahogany
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Thanks for the input folks. I'm surprised people think it's so easy to dent. Maybe I have a killer finish, but there's only a few minor minor marks in mine, and I've been playing it every day for 5 years..
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

It's a bit scooped I think.

It still sounds great. After all, it's the wood that RG's are made of
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by MetalMilitia212
God damnit .

Isn't his signature basswood though?

Depends on the sig model. His flagship workhorse, the 7VWH, is Alder.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer