K I'm usually in the guitar thread, so I'm not known here, and no I am not a "n00b" lol...I'm just not really knowledgable about bass. K so anyway five years ago I started playing guitar and 2 years ago I started bass, anyway make a long story short I got bored of bass, but I really wanna get back into it, I was pretty decent plus I just got asked to join a band. So yeah, this is where you guys come in...

I need a new bass and a new bass amp... please try to keep it under $500.00 if thatss not possible than try to keep it around there....cause I'm buying a PA really soon so I'm not exactly going to be rich lol right now I'm playing a Squier P-Bass from a pack and it came with a Fender Rumble 15...so yeah lol pretty damn shiitty so please help me out...lol

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Oh and I play punk music if that helps
Quote by lobster624
"are you an angel because i have an erection."
I'd just go with getting a new amp. The Squier P-Bass, albeit basic, isn't too bad in my opinion. Until you get into some harsher sounding stuff, it's probably quite adequate for anything you'd be doing. I'm much like you (guitar 4-5 years, bass for 2) and I'm still quite happy with it, and I've played both band practices and gigs with it before.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
^^ yeah I was sorta thinking the same thing, I really do not mind the tone out of it...so any suggestions for amps maybe $200-400? good tone lol

oh and another question, to gig, about how many watts would a bass amp need to be loud enough
Quote by lobster624
for bass amps, i'd look at some ashdown mags, fender rumble 100 is okay, fender bassman's are good, try and get the fender bassman 250 watt one if your gonna get a fender but i like the ashdowns, 300 watts.

thiss the one i have http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C210T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485033 believe you me, its loud but for an extra $100 you could get the 4 by 10 version

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034

EDIT: to gig, at least 300 watts but if you get to mic your amp into the pa system it doesnt matter really what wattage it is
It can really depend on the amp. Generally though with bass, more watts is definitely a good thing. I have a 65W Laney amp, which I thought would be real loud, as my guitar amp was only 40 and went loud enough to hurt my ears. However, although it's a decent amp, and enough for band practices, it's not all that loud to be honest. I had to crank some settings on it that make it lose it's tone for some practices here and there. So basically, you probably want a decent wattage (100W minimum or so?).

I wish I could remember the names of a couple I tried out recently that were pretty nice... I'll maybe get back to you.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
All depends on how much wattage your guitarist(s) have. I wouldn;t go for anything lower than about 150-200W for fairly small venues.

However, you did say you were getting a PA soon. If you're running all instruments through that, wattage shouldn't be a problem.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
yeah guitarists amp iss 100W
Quote by lobster624
k well if puttting a mic on my amp will work (running it through PA) liek I'm just wondering will it effect my sound a lot or am I just better off buying a new amp?
Quote by lobster624
im sure it would work, im not too familiar with micing things up. your tone wouldnt be as good of course since you have a fender rumble 15 compared to a new better sounding amp but it should work i think
^ lol yeah obviously, but I;ve messed around with it enough to make it sound half decent
Quote by lobster624
my fender rumble was okay, i had the exact same set up as you. my squier p bass wasnt too bad, i just hated the amp but if you got a decent tone out of it thats awesome. I suppose since your a guitarist mainly you dont wanna spend money on the bass. I think the bass is fine, i would personally upgrade the amp but if you have a good tone then use it and rather then spend the money on a new bass, get a better pa system
^ thanks dude, and yeah its not spectacular but its like listenable lol
Quote by lobster624
Quote by Benjirob
for bass amps, i'd look at some ashdown mags, fender rumble 100 is okay, fender bassman's are good, try and get the fender bassman 250 watt one if your gonna get a fender but i like the ashdowns, 300 watts.

I have the Bassman 250 210 and I paid $850 CDN for it, and now it's $729, so I think it's out of your price range. It is a very good amp, however.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
you might also try looking at the ampeg combo's, they go for between 300-400 and are very nice sounding, so if you plan to mic' (they may even have DI, im not sure) those would sound very good, but they arent exceptionally loud (probably decent for your needs tho)
keep ur squier for now and then pick up some ashdown combo amp
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I would definitely recommend ashdown, i use one of their basic end electric blue series amps live and it is 180 watt and i can be heard fine
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I was thinking of getting a bassman before i opted for an ashdown. I didn't know they made ampegs so cheap, even in america. they cost the same they do in £ as they do in $. I'd go for that ampeg, ampeg quality will get any guitar player interested in being in a band with you although i still prefer ashdowns overall.
Well since you said "Oh and I play punk music" I Would Instantly think Vox, Pure Punk out of them bad boys i cant really suggest a specific vox amp though, so i guess just test a few out and find one you like.