Page 1 of 2
He, what you guys think of the kelly im thinking of buying one and love to know what you think of it.
I have the most beautiful kelly in the world, i advise you to get one.

Plays perfect, sounds even more perfect and looks like the godess she is
I am also looking for a Kelly - what are the differences between the KE2 and the KE3 ?

I tried comparing them on musiciansfriend and there weren't any specs on the KE3...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/compare?g=home&base_pid=511669&base_pid=511471
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
The KE-3 is made in Japan and has a Floyd Rose Licensed Tremelo.
The KE-2 is made in USA and has a Floyd Rose Original Tremelo.
Quote by Guitargod12345
The KE-3 is made in Japan and has a Floyd Rose Licensed Tremelo.
The KE-2 is made in USA and has a Floyd Rose Original Tremelo.

Differences??? I assume the KE-2 is higher quality since its more expensive...
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Kellys are great, when some assheaded tapeworm crawled out of someone's ass and stole my brand new jackson dk2 dinky, i bought a trans blue kelly which is the 2nd most beautiful kelly in the world.

If your buying a kelly look for one with real seymour duncans. I went to two different store and saw the same jackson ke3 kelly for the same price, but one had duncan designed pickups while the other had originals??
Quote by bob_da_brownkid
Kellys are great, when some assheaded tapeworm crawled out of someone's ass and stole my brand new jackson dk2 dinky, i bought a trans blue kelly which is the 2nd most beautiful kelly in the world.

If your buying a kelly look for one with real seymour duncans. I went to two different store and saw the same jackson ke3 kelly for the same price, but one had duncan designed pickups while the other had originals??

one was probably a 2005 model, one a 2006 model
I've seen some but not played one, but that is one of the guitars that catches my eye and interest.

Marty friedman of Megadeth uses one.
kellys are amazing i almost got one but decided to go with the rr v instead. the only thing about it is when you play standing up with a strap, as soon as you let go of the neck, it falls immediately.
the ke3's are ok, but what's your budget and what are you after? also, what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Guitargod12345
Marty friedman of Megadeth uses one.

He switched to Ibanez last year, but yeah, in his Megadeth days he used a Kelly.

@ soldar - patriotism. Guitars made in the USA (by an american brand, of course) tend to have better craftsmanship and such. Also, an Original Floyd Rose is the original bridge perfected by the company itself. Licensed Floyd Roses are floating bridges based on the Floyd Rose made by other companies. Watch out, Jackson's LFRs tend to be a bit bad.
^ yeah. It's not that made in the USA is universally better, just in the case of jackson it is. Ibanez' top of the range models are made in Japan, as are ESP, etc. Plenty of guitars made in england kick ass too (gordon smith, eggle, etc.).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cant forget Jap fenders

The neck profile is something that amazes me, I have a Ke 1 and I swear the neck/action is the sex!! Neck is REALLY thin. Nicest guitar I have ever owned, but Im thinking of selling due to change in music style!
Last edited by False_God at Mar 15, 2007,
Ahh, ok. much thanks, davemc & cancan.

I'm pretty sure that the Eerie-dess swirl finish is the coolest paint design I've ever seen on a guitar.
Quote by Roc8995
I was very close to buying one but I bought an RG because it was cheaper and they are awesome guitars.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
I orderded one a week ago it's a KE3 with Trans Blue, Semour Duncan TB-4's and Licensed Floyd Rose €717.

Does anyone know when you go to the www.jacksonguitars.com and read the specs for the guitars it says at the bottom features are subject to change at any moment without notice.??????
Quote by Euphoriacody

What in God's name is that finish??

I want one. Now.
R E G G A E
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
Differences??? I assume the KE-2 is higher quality since its more expensive...

Well slightly, but a little more expensive, because it's in the USA series as well.
The Pickups are actually the same on both models.
Quote by DashBlaster
So the LFR aren't that good? What about the Jackson Floyd Roses, where it says Jackson on them and not Floyd Rose?

i think it's an over-simplification to say that all LFR's are bad.

Gotoh, Schaller, certain ibanez ones (edge, lo-pro edge, edge pro and ZR - only these ones, no "edge pro II" or any guff like that) are all technically "licensed", but all are excellent, at least as good as an OFR. Kahler too, though that's a slightly different design. A lot of it's personal preference with these too.

It's the cheapo licensed ones you want to beware, ibanez edge III, lo-trs, and those no-name ones on cheap guitars. they use extremely soft metal which wears out and causes the trem to not hold tuning well. this can take a few months to occur, so it's not always obvious when you try one in the shop, unfortunately.

Jackson is a funny one, I'm not fussed on them, but genocide, who's normally pretty knowledgeable, says they're made by schaller, and I have to admit that they feel quite like the schaller I tried on a washburn. I don't like the extra stiffness these trems have (personal preference). Though, as far as I know, it's a direct swap for an OFR, so there's no major problem (bar the expense) if it does turn out to be not great- that's the problem with some of the cheap ones, they aren't a direct swap for any of the good ones, so you have to get your guitar drilled, which is awkward and expensive.

oh, that colour is trans black, by the way.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lmaf... mine is purdier. It's in blue

I like it. The neck is perfect for my hand. Plus I like the 24 frets.
I set my actions stupid low, so it rips.
It sounds pretty good, not sure what kind of wood the body is.

The only thing i don't like about it is; the volume knob placement.
Quote by Euphoriacody

Sexy guitar, I am VERY envious! :O
Bring back Tabo
Quote by Extant
http://www.audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm

Everything you need to know about Jackson trems.

Basically, you have two models on the new guitars. JT580 and JT590. The 580 is the cheap licensed one, and the 590 is the better licensed made-in-Germany-by-Schaller one.

excellent link, thanks for that. If all the new guys posted like you, we'd have a kick-ass forum round here.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheDarkestNights
What in God's name is that finish??

I want one. Now.

It looks Trans Brown
Quote by Dave_Mc

Gotoh, Schaller, certain ibanez ones (edge, lo-pro edge, edge pro and ZR - only these ones, no "edge pro II" or any guff like that) are all technically "licensed", but all are excellent, at least as good as an OFR. Kahler too, though that's a slightly different design. A lot of it's personal preference with these too.

It's the cheapo licensed ones you want to beware, ibanez edge III, lo-trs, and those no-name ones on cheap guitars. they use extremely soft metal which wears out and causes the trem to not hold tuning well. this can take a few months to occur, so it's not always obvious when you try one in the shop, unfortunately.

Jackson is a funny one, I'm not fussed on them, but genocide, who's normally pretty knowledgeable, says they're made by schaller, and I have to admit that they feel quite like the schaller I tried on a washburn. I don't like the extra stiffness these trems have (personal preference). Though, as far as I know, it's a direct swap for an OFR, so there's no major problem (bar the expense) if it does turn out to be not great- that's the problem with some of the cheap ones, they aren't a direct swap for any of the good ones, so you have to get your guitar drilled, which is awkward and expensive.

Ya, I haven't had a single problem with my Jackson's trem, but I do agree, it's way stiff.
^ yeah, but there's a low profile one too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got the official Jackson 2006 catalog, and there's a table showing all the Neck Dimensions, and all other info on all the guitars. I noticed that the KE3 has the thinnest neck of all guitars, even thinner than the KE2's. It is actually 0.720" at the first fret and 0.805" at the 12th. The KE2's neck has a dimension of 0.775" at the 3rd fret and 0.835" at the 12th. Therefore is the KE3 comfortable to play on?

Oh and another thing no one else mentioned (or at least i think so) is that the KE2's fretboard is made of Ebony, whilst that on the KE3 is made of Rosewood.

Hope it's useful

Also I wanna know how much does it weigh if possible. Thanks.
Last edited by Kenit at Mar 21, 2007,
^ depends if you like thinner necks...

that's true about the ebony, well spotted.

No idea about the weight, maybe it's on www.jacksonguitars.com ?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Jackson Kellys are known for being VERY neck heavy. A lot of owners drill and install the upper strap button in a different place to combat the imbalance.
As far as the Jackson LFRs go, JT590s although made by Schaller in the same factorys as OFRs, they don't last quite as long as OFRs. The baseplates can be easily replaced with a Floyd Rose 2 basplate and it will perform as well as an OFR. The older JT590s (chrome with black fine tuners) are meh. They hold tune okay for a while but in the long run they made need replacement. The newer models (2006 on, all black) are much improved. You have a 70-30 chance of needing to replace it. There is no need to go out and buy an OFR when you buy the guitar. After a 6-10 months, if the trem is still holding up you got a good one and won't need to replace it.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
The FR on the KE3 is actually a good one. I had one for a while, and it was a fantastic guitar for shreding or just plain metal. But the shape on the Kelly is annoying to me. I dunno why, but, I traded it for a PRS SE Custom. (best trade of all time.)
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
i LOVE these guitars. i was SO close to getting one but decided to get an RR3 instead. still dont know if i made the right decision. you wont be disappointed if you buy one.
Quote by cagnius
I'd rather be spooning than doing my essay...
It sounds better than my RR. IMO It has a warmer sweeter tone not as bright
as the RR. it's in the wood. I solo alot with the neck pick ups
and rythem with bridge.
Quote by Dave_Mc

its good to see you still seem to know at least just as much as when you used to answer my "which new guitar threads" when i first joined

i also heard that the jt580s were made by schaller but that was somewhere on the jcf forums ages ago, but yeah they definately are quite a bit stiffer compared to other trems ive tried, ive gotten used to it so i quite like it now. means ya cant really change the pitch fast as easily as you could on something else but once youve built up your forearm a bit from trying it all the time it gets pretty easy. i also find that because its less sensitive that it gives you more control. i guess one day it might crapout on me but it hasnt happened yet and its been almost 18 months so im happy
Page 1 of 2