So, I got a Boss GE-7 7-band equalizer the other day, and so far I have only used it to boost the volume on my solos. I haven't tried adjusting the sliders on it. When I did try it, it got way to loud, and when i turned the level down a bit, it got way to quiet.

But anyways, my question is, what is a good setting for it, to boost a solo and make it a little smoother? I use a Peavey JSX, if that's of any relevance.

Oh, another question. How come it only works in my effects loop? It wont work directly in the chain, which only consists of Boss TU-2 -- > WD-2 --> amp. When I put it after the WD-7, all it boosts it the clean channel. It does absolutely nothing for crunch or ultra.

Thanks for any help.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
first set everything to the 0. then make the classic V shape on the the EQ(sliders on outside go to one line below 15. then a slow not steep down to O for the middle slider. Then back up slowly to where the outside one is one below 15. Level at one or two above the lowest dot mark). i use this Smile/gradual V setting with my boss eq and JSX and it sounds pretty good. Channel wise i boost my mids and keep his and lows at 4-6 area. mids 6-10. gain 4-7 area.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
first set everything to the 0. then make the classic V shape on the the EQ(sliders on outside go to one line below 15. then a slow not steep down to O for the middle slider. Then back up slowly to where the outside one is one below 15. Level at one or two above the lowest dot mark). i use this Smile/gradual V setting with my boss eq and JSX and it sounds pretty good. Channel wise i boost my mids and keep his and lows at 4-6 area. mids 6-10. gain 4-7 area.

Ok, you have a combo, too. Does it only work in the effects loop, or can it work in your guitar signal chain?

And thanks for the settings.

Quote by RadioHead22
i use mine in effects loop to shape the tone after the preamp and before the power amp. it works in front but i like it in the FX loop more/
Hmm. Okay. Would you maybe mind trying it in the regular chain for me, and just let me know if it works or not? I would greatly appreciate that.

I just find it's a pain to turn on the effects loop, make sure my effects are off, then turn on the EQ.

Quote by RadioHead22
sounds ok. whatever floats your boat i guess.
If you just want a solo boost and you want it to be smooth, boost the high mids, knock the bass up a tad, and leave the treble at unity (the center of the eq pedal).

The reason it gets quieter when you eq is because your cutting out the girth of your sound (your probably scooping the mids, don't do this...crappy sound). To compensate simply turn the gain up on the far right of the pedal.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by greendayguitar
Hmm. Okay. Would you maybe mind trying it in the regular chain for me, and just let me know if it works or not? I would greatly appreciate that.

I just find it's a pain to turn on the effects loop, make sure my effects are off, then turn on the EQ.

Thats totally pointless. You can't eq an amp if you put the pedal before the amp.

It has to go in the effects loop. No question about it.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by bonchie1
Thats totally pointless. You can't eq an amp if you put the pedal before the amp.

I use my MXR 10-band before the amp and it sounds great for boosts. I also use my MXR 10 band before my Vox AD50 when using my MT-2 for distortion. It makes my MT-2 sound awesome (hard to believe).. with compression and other assorted things. Without the MXR my MT-2 would sound like the lifeless POS it is.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by bonchie1

I can understand that, but I still want to know why it wont work in my chain before the amp.

But thanks for the advice before.

Quote by RadioHead22
I personally like the solo setting that they give you from the site, which is this: 100 at 0, 200 at 5, 400 at 10, 800 at inbetween 5 and 10, 1.6k at inbetween 5 and 10, 3.2k at 5, and 6.4k at 0. You also want the level to be at between 0 and 5.

It really adds balls to both rhythm and lead stuff. Just a tip, you also won't need to use as much gain as you do without the pedal, as it'll take care of that. Normally, without the pedal, I put the gain at 5-6.5, but with it, I only need to put it at 3-4.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I personally like the solo setting that they give you from the site, which is this: 100 at 0, 200 at 5, 400 at 10, 800 at inbetween 5 and 10, 1.6k at inbetween 5 and 10, 3.2k at 5, and 6.4k at 0. You also want the level to be at between 0 and 5.

It really adds balls to both rhythm and lead stuff. Just a tip, you also won't need to use as much gain as you do without the pedal, as it'll take care of that. Normally, without the pedal, I put the gain at 5-6.5, but with it, I only need to put it at 3-4.

Thanks. I'll try that out in a bit. Where on the boss site do you find presets they have?

Oh, one more thing, since it looks like I'll just settle with it in the loop. Can someone just give me a quick synopsis of what each band does? That'd be great. Thanks

Quote by RadioHead22
http://bossus.com/index.asp?pg=4&tmp=10&prodID=19 It's Guitar Effects Guidebook Vol. 19.

As for the bands, each one represents a frequency ranger, that's all. The lower numbers are bass, and the higher numbers are treble.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by JesseIbanez
I use my MXR 10-band before the amp and it sounds great for boosts. I also use my MXR 10 band before my Vox AD50 when using my MT-2 for distortion. It makes my MT-2 sound awesome (hard to believe).. with compression and other assorted things. Without the MXR my MT-2 would sound like the lifeless POS it is.

Your boosting and eqing your mt-2 pedal which is creating your tone. People with tube amps usually get there distortion from there amps. In which case you'd need to eq your preamp, and that can only be done in the effects loop.

As to the original poster of why it doesn't do anything before the amp...that should of just answered your question.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Yeah I definitely agree with inserting the EQ in your effects loop for the JSX. I rock the JSX aswell, I have a MXR 10-band EQ and I have it running through my effects loop:
The way I use my EQ is basically as a 4th channel for the JSX, I simply just EQ my amp as its desired rhythm tone (Bass: 7 to 10, Mids: 4.5, Treble: 8, Resonance: 8, Presence: 10), and then I EQ my pedal as a kind of REVERSE scooped mid tone, so basically bass brought down, then I boost my high mids and highs so that I have a lead tone that'll cut through perfectly.

I find this very effective since my rhythm tone has just enough mids for the combination rhythm/lead style of riffs I play, for the single notes to sound good, and then when I need a solo boost and a tone that'll be smooth and will cut through, I stomp on my pedal, which is EQ'd with more high mids and highs.

Thats my two cents.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by bonchie1
Your boosting and eqing your mt-2 pedal which is creating your tone. People with tube amps usually get there distortion from there amps. In which case you'd need to eq your preamp, and that can only be done in the effects loop.

As to the original poster of why it doesn't do anything before the amp...that should of just answered your question.

Well, thanks for the info.

And thanks for the link, to the guy ^^.

I'm just going to stick with it in the effects loop. I'll get used to it in time.

Thanks for the help guys.

Quote by RadioHead22