Does anyone else here have an interest in physics or certain theorems?

I think the ideas of the 4th dimension is interesting does anyone here know anything about it and the other dimensions.

Is it time?

Also would the first dimension not be a straight line but how could you represent a line without it being a 2D object?
Quote by str84ever

Also would the first dimension not be a straight line but how could you represent a line without it being a 2D object?

you cant
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
representing a 1 dimensional object is difficult, its easier to imagine, something infinately tall with no depth or width.
Ahh complex theoretical physics... run away!!!

No I like Physics especial theoretical physics like String Theory, I also love Astronomical Physics...

Taking Physics next year in High School, they cut Astronomy, but hey its an honors class
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
But that is impossible because with no depth or width, then there can't be anything there. I've never studied any of this but that seems to be a reasonable thought.
Oh yeah, that's what it's all about alright, but being it and talking about it are different things. These country boys will talk to you and talk to you about individual freedom, but when they see a free individual it's gonna scare 'em. Easy Rider
woah physics sounds like a class i'd like to attend while stoned!
if you were to grease lightning would it go faster?
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by acdc51502112

of course it would duh
Tool kicks ass
Quote by The McManus
Ahh complex theoretical physics... run away!!!

No I like Physics especial theoretical physics like String Theory, I also love Astronomical Physics...

Taking Physics next year in High School, they cut Astronomy, but hey its an honors class

I dont do physics anymore.

Though space is interesting. If the sun exploded you wouldnt know for years.
Is there not like a 16th dimension?

Degrees of freedom

Zero dimensions
Point
Zero-dimensional space

One dimension
Line

Two dimensions
2D geometric models
2D computer graphics

Three dimensions
3D computer graphics
3-D films and video
Stereoscopy (3-D imaging)

Four dimensions
Time (4th dimension)
Fourth spatial dimension
Tesseract (four dimensional shapes)

Five dimensions
Kaluza-Klein theory
Fifth dimension

Ten, eleven or twenty-six dimensions
String theory
M-theory
Why 10 dimensions?
Calabi-Yau spaces

Infinitely many dimensions
Bachmann's Dimensions
Hilbert space
Special relativity
General relativity
Last edited by str84ever at Mar 13, 2007,
Quote by sexy-man
yes time is the 4th dimension

That's not quite right.
While it is a popular school of thought, we don't know.

however you can represent the 4th dimension graphically (sorta).

You can graph a level surface for the shape of a 4th dimension object.
This way you can tell what it is doing, not really what it looks like tho.
Quote by madbass518
rbmason speaks the truth
Quote by guitarfreak042
i said it was the greatest movie of all time not the greatest comedy of all time......idiot....

Epi Les Paul
Epi Goth G400 Extreme
Crate GLX212
Quote by str84ever
Does anyone else here have an interest in physics or certain theorems?

I think the ideas of the 4th dimension is interesting does anyone here know anything about it and the other dimensions.

Is it time?

4th Dimension can be catagorized as basically the next law that we're missing from Quantum Physics to complete the picture of "spooky" behaviors we observe now. Its the space around objects but its the space itself, a complete paradox. I find it interesting in Near Death Experiences, trip reports, Out Of Body Experiences, etc.. that the person experiencing it always says "time collapsed" or time stretched to "forever" (maybe you've had an experience like this). I think what they are experiencing is the 4th Dimension, where everything exists and happens all at the same "time", which is Now. And if everything is Now, everything is One and if everything is One, that that thing can be equated to "God" (in whatever flavor you want, its all the same thing). So really, the 4th Dimension is just the next step in our ability to percieve things as they truly are: infinite and simultanous.

1st dimension has no percievable form to us, I find it to be the "idea", the energetic concept of whatever it is. 2d has shape(s), 3d has depth and 4d has eternity.
Quote by Ego Tripping
4th Dimension can be catagorized as basically the next law that we're missing from Quantum Physics to complete the picture of "spooky" behaviors we observe now. Its the space around objects but its the space itself, a complete paradox. I find it interesting in Near Death Experiences, trip reports, Out Of Body Experiences, etc.. that the person experiencing it always says "time collapsed" or time stretched to "forever" (maybe you've had an experience like this). I think what they are experiencing is the 4th Dimension, where everything exists and happens all at the same "time", which is Now. And if everything is Now, everything is One and if everything is One, that that thing can be equated to "God" (in whatever flavor you want, its all the same thing). So really, the 4th Dimension is just the next step in our ability to percieve things as they truly are: infinite and simultanous.

1st dimension has no percievable form to us, I find it to be the "idea", the energetic concept of whatever it is. 2d has shape(s), 3d has depth and 4d has eternity.

ah right thanks
Quote by Ego Tripping
.. that the person experiencing it always says "time collapsed" or time stretched to "forever" (maybe you've had an experience like this

yeah this one time i ate 80 hits of acid and time collapsed.... it was beautiful .
Maybe you guys should read some Feynman or something so you at least have a vague idea of what you're talking about...I hate to break it to you but everything said so far is total garbage.
Quote by str84ever

I get the distinct feeling that if the fucking sun exploded you wouldn't even have time to notice it...
Quote by str84ever
Is there not like a 16th dimension?

Degrees of freedom

Zero dimensions
Point
Zero-dimensional space

One dimension
Line

Two dimensions
2D geometric models
2D computer graphics

Three dimensions
3D computer graphics
3-D films and video
Stereoscopy (3-D imaging)

Four dimensions
Time (4th dimension)
Fourth spatial dimension
Tesseract (four dimensional shapes)

Five dimensions
Kaluza-Klein theory
Fifth dimension

Ten, eleven or twenty-six dimensions
String theory
M-theory
Why 10 dimensions?
Calabi-Yau spaces

Infinitely many dimensions
Bachmann's Dimensions
Hilbert space
Special relativity
General relativity

Whole lot more than that, I would think. If it an amount, we probably don't have enough numbers for it.

Edit - I should note, I might sound like I'm pretending to know what I'm talking about, but I don't know shit, only what I've gathered from a few Fun Guys that I talk to.
Last edited by Ego Tripping at Mar 13, 2007,
Quote by smb
Maybe you guys should read some Feynman or something so you at least have a vague idea of what you're talking about...I hate to break it to you but everything said so far is total garbage.

no i'm pretty sure my statement was accurate, physics was one of the few things i was interested in in high school.
Quote by z4twenny
no i'm pretty sure my statement was accurate, physics was one of the few things i was interested in in high school.

(ignoring the crap about acid)
What you said was wrong because something one dimensional would not be infinitely long. You're 3 dimensional and don't have infinite volume!
Quote by smb
(ignoring the crap about acid)
What you said was wrong because something one dimensional would not be infinitely long. You're 3 dimensional and don't have infinite volume!

Lay up man. We're having a damn discussion about multiple dimensions, for christ's sake! Any douche bag realizes that the kid means that 1D can have a length of X, while having no width or depth.
Quote by madbass518
rbmason speaks the truth
Quote by guitarfreak042
i said it was the greatest movie of all time not the greatest comedy of all time......idiot....

Epi Les Paul
Epi Goth G400 Extreme
Crate GLX212
ok, yes, i am 3 dimensional, however in a 1 dimensional space it would just essentially be a point expanding in 1 direction, like a line, granted depending on the limits placed on it, it may or may not expand infinitely (i think of space as space/time as you probably know the universe is constantly expanding and therefore infinite). but because there is no width or depth (or height, this depends only on which of the 2 dimensions you're trying to remove) it would be invisible, therefore this is merely a concept.
Quote by str84ever

Actually, it would take 8 minutes before we knew.
Every inside out badger has a silver lining.
I find this all very interesting, but i cannot see how we could describe our world in more than four dimensions, i guess i have to research it further. An interesting point a little off topic, if we are part of the universe, and we are trying to understand the universe, are we not the universe trying to understand itself?(don't think about this high!)
Quote by acdc51502112

they actually found a way to make light go faster.

they put it through a bunch of lenses.

EDIT to the guy above me: no were not. talking about a human body, we would be like the fungus growing on it, trying to understand what its part of. IMO.
Quote by captainjackass

they put it through a bunch of lenses.

doesn't putting light through lenses diffract it, and therefore slow it down? or it slows down inside the lens so that it can bend (the basic concept ofhow lenses work) then it returns to normal speed once it exits the other side of the lens.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by z4twenny
representing a 1 dimensional object is difficult, its easier to imagine, something infinately tall with no depth or width.

Thats harder it makes my head hurt.

Heres another thing. Before the big bang there must have been an infinite amount of space yeh? So how the hell is there an infinite amount of space in the first place. I have almost driven myself crazy over this.
Quote by z4twenny
ok, yes, i am 3 dimensional, however in a 1 dimensional space it would just essentially be a point expanding in 1 direction, like a line, granted depending on the limits placed on it, it may or may not expand infinitely (i think of space as space/time as you probably know the universe is constantly expanding and therefore infinite). but because there is no width or depth (or height, this depends only on which of the 2 dimensions you're trying to remove) it would be invisible, therefore this is merely a concept.

Glad to see a like mind! I had the same visual in my head (a single point...big bang? extending infinitely) but even that concept requires the Mind to place up to 2D to visualize. 1D is just the concept of what it is/is yet to be.
i heard a theory once that the universe was like an ever-expanding sphere. if you think of a sphere you can tell that it has a smooth surface and a shape, but it doesn't have an edge, it just has a surface and no distinct boundary between it and the space around it. if you can imagine that, then that could be one theory to the shape and state of the universe in relation to the empty space around it.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by The Overlord
i heard a theory once that the universe was like an ever-expanding sphere. if you think of a sphere you can tell that it has a smooth surface and a shape, but it doesn't have an edge, it just has a surface and no distinct boundary between it and the space around it. if you can imagine that, then that could be one theory to the shape and state of the universe in relation to the empty space around it.

Agreed entirely...and I have my personal reasons to believe its a Spiral. But a Spiral expanded in both directions creates an Infinitely large Sphere....