Hello Dere! I usually hang out in the bass forum but since my band wants to start recording I figured I should come here. ANYWAY! My band is a three piece Drum, Bass, Keyboard. (NO guitar ) and I was wondering the best way to record. Originally me and my drummer figured we would get a CD-2, from some company that escapes me as of now, and 4 cheap microphones 2 for drums 1 for keys one for myself.
(Scroll down for short story)
LONG STORY:
Now, I went to my bass teacher and we discussed this and he said "WRONG!" He said we should get this thing called an M-box that comes with Pro Tools and then a REALLY nice Large Diaphragm condenser for the drums and just direct inject my bass and the keys.

Now to a recording N00b this sounds like whatever, cool, you've taking audio recording in Uni I'll just trust you. I did some research after I came home and it seems like we can only have two things input at one time which even without me singing (which I plan to do and will just pick up a SM58 or something for that) it's still 3 things. With singing 4. So I now I can obviously lay down the drum track and then Bass and keys then vocals or whatever I need to do but I guess my real question is:
SHORT STORY:
Should I get an Mbox 2 and just one or two good mics or should I get a CD-2 or something of the like and then a few cheaper mics? Is there any other ideas that will come out to less than $750ish? I'm really just looking for some good quality amateur-intermediate recordings.

I dearly apologize if this has been posted uber amount of times but I searched and didn't quite find what I was looking for. And I looked in the FAQ but the Rant on the Mbox, I found was slightly biased. I also apologize for the length of this which I am lengthening still by writing out this large large apology so I think I'll stop NOW!
they have things you can use to increase the amount of inputs on your computer, so you could use one of those and do your bass teacher's idea
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^But doesn't that also lower the quality a tonne? I assume you are talking about a splitter right?

i'm not sure if it lowers the quality, i've never used one, you should ask your teacher about it if nobody else can help
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
If you are new to recording I definitely recommend not starting out with protools.
you'll start it and be all excited and read the shit about it
and just get frustrated with all the stuff it can do and how complicated it is.

I personally wouldn't go for the mbox because its nothing more than a high label audio interface that does only have 2 inputs.

If you are serious about recording or wish to record I would def go with a presonus firepod
or firebox
Quote by boomyouscream
all 8 of the inputs are 1/4 and xlr on the firepod

True. But only inputs 1 and 2 are Hi-Z instrument inputs, the rest are line in. Right now the FirePod is an excellent value (it's on sale at Musician's Friend) at about $500 but the list price is almost $800 which is a fairly large investment assuming the band needs mics (and they do).

I think that jazz_rock_feel's teacher suggested the MBox because it's a good entry-level package where you get a lot for a low price (about ProTools being hard to work with that's just loser talk, all the major sequencing software works roughly the same) and he probably expected you to layer the whole recording rather than play all at once since you're rank beginners at recording. I agree that the MBox isn't the best solution here, it's much better as a small project studio where you don't really need to record drums, but keep in mind that the FirePod solution will cost a lot of money.
SO are you saying that the Firepod can only have instruments plugged into 2 of the inputs? What are line ins? And I think the Mbox is $450 from Music123 (I'm Canadian) and the firepod is about $500. But if you're telling me that I can only use two of the inputs we might just save $50.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
SO are you saying that the Firepod can only have instruments plugged into 2 of the inputs?

If you're going to go the route you suggested above and plug the guitar/bass straight into the interface then the FirePod only has two Hi-Z inputs. However, if you have some kind of DI box or amp. sim you can run that into any line-in.

If you want a simple setup to record I'd say use 4 mics for the drums (two overheads, one kick and one snare/toms), plug your bass straight into the Hi-Z (you can always add grit later on or overdub another take), and that still leaves you with 1 Hi-Z and 2 mic/line inputs for anything else you need. Of course, this is if you're looking to record "live" with everyone playing at once.

If the FirePod is only $50 more than the MBox I'd go with that but as I said before, be ware that there will be plenty additional cost for mics/cables/stands/etc. for a decent setup with 8 inputs.
^ Yeah I'm splitting the costs with my drummer he's buying the interface and I'm buying the mics. And playing live is the best case scenario in our minds.

So I can DI my bass, and DI the keys... then put the drum mic(s) into the Line in/Mic input and then my vocal mic in the same fashion as the drums. Correct? If so it sounds great. By the way what would you recommend for drum micing? I know my drummer asked around on his Forum and they said ideally exactly the same thing as you but one overhead would be fine. What are your opinions on this? I really want to buy the least amount of stuff but buy good quality instead of a lot if cheap things? Thoughts? My idea was to buy a pair of AKG C1000 (package) and an SM58 for vocals.
Take a look at the soundcard wizard in my signature. The Firepod is a GREAT value, but if you only need 4 inputs, you can get the Inspire (I think). I don't know. Run through the wizard and you'll see all of your options and how much it costs.

Brandon
LOL! The first on the list was the Firepod! The other on the list was a mackie onyx that costed $700! I guess the firepod really is god's gift to recording.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Mar 15, 2007,
Just my two cents: I have a MOTU 828mkII. It only has 2 Hi-Z XLR/TRS inputs on the front and the stuff on the back is mainly for chaining effects/synths/etc. I then discovered the power of ADAT. I went and bought a A/D/A converter with 8 mic inputs. This unit runs an ADAT optical cable to the back of the MOTU. Then I can select (ADAT 1, ADAT 2) on my recording program. You may want to look into an option such as that.

I'm a little unsure if the Mbox has ADAT or not. However I am a fan of the Mbox for basic recording needs and the fact that it is bundled with Pro-Tools.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
By the way what would you recommend for drum micing? I know my drummer asked around on his Forum and they said ideally exactly the same thing as you but one overhead would be fine. What are your opinions on this?

My recommendation for a smaller setup would be to close mic the kick and snare and use two overheads but not everyone's budget can accommodate that. One overhead would work fine. Angle a good condensor across the kit (so that it's aiming a bit more towards the snare) about 6' or so off the floor. This is sometimes called a "Beatles mic", although I'm unsure about George Martin's recording techniques and whether he ever used something like this, and it produces a fairly good result. You won't be able to do much processing after the fact to bring out toms and you may have to tell your drummer to go a little easy on the cymbals (you'll hear that soon enough) but it's a workable solution.
If we weren't micing any toms or anything would it be better to have have 1 or 2 overheads? I'm thinking about 2 Samson C01's but if you say one would be overall better I might get just a better large diaphragm condenser.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
If we weren't micing any toms or anything would it be better to have have 1 or 2 overheads? I'm thinking about 2 Samson C01's but if you say one would be overall better I might get just a better large diaphragm condenser.

Two would be more preferable, especially is you have more than one cymbal, and even if you were only using one end of the kit, you could put one to the far left and one centre.

Plus of course you can often get a stereo pair of small diaphragm condensers for the same price.