Well I'm kinda pissed off at my parents for the last time, cuz they always say i'm wasting my time learning guitar, i should have stuck with piano "It could at least get me a reference for school"

you've probably figured it out, but i want to know if there are any standardized tests that could reflect on resumes and school applications for ELECTRIC guitar.

other then rock school, that was abolished right?

btw i'm Canadian, but i'd still like to know, for Americans atleast.

EDIT nvm rockschool wasn't abolished, but still i'm not flying across to britain for a guitar exam, unless there's any way i can take them here, or in a nearby american city?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Mar 13, 2007,
Oh and another thing, i'm talking about highschool things, i'm in G 10. Not ready for university/college just yet
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Yea when i was in school we took guitar classes as electives. I mean i wasnt like rocking out hardcore. But like we learned some songs. and for the last 15 mins of the class we got to jam improvise cool shit like that. But it was only worth .5 credit.
im in grade ten and im shitty in school. like 50's and 60s ahahah wow. Its brutal. In class when i get bored i make scale shapes. LOL. School is going to be my demise
Guitar can help get you into college. Record something, burn it to a CD, and then send it in with a letter that says "My name is John Smith. Please consider this recording as part of my application" or something like that.

If it's original music, even better.
what are some "rock schools"
"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."~Jimi Hendrix...
cant help you much with just learning guitar alongside some different than music area major

but purely musical schools that appreciate (maybe i should say tolerate) rock

are Berklee, and MI (musician's institute)

thats pretty much it, but theyre very well known

Berklee - Scofield, Vai, Abercrombie, Petrucci, etc

MI - Dave Weiner (Plays for vai), Paul gilbert, etc

hope that helps
well i don't want to go into a field of music as an absolute career (well i'd love to, but that's not what i'm up for)

i'm going for med school, but i wanted to be rewarded someway academically or when getting a job because i play guitar.

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy
i'm going for med school, but i wanted to be rewarded someway academically or when getting a job because i play guitar.
Academically: Send a CD of your stuff to your colleges! That way, they know that you aren't some schmuck with a tissue box with rubberbands.

You could also try taking the AP music exam, though you'll have to study quite a bit of stuff if you want to do well. it's not guitar oriented, but learning that stuff will help you as a musician.

Job: A hospital won't care that you can play the guitar, harp, and skinflute all at once. They'll just care about your medical skills and people skills (the stuff you know you need).