Wow, allright, I have bad stage fright. I took my guitar to school as part of a research project, and I played Little Wing as part of the demonstration, and christ I can not play infront of people. I can play the intro back to front perfectly when Im alone, but when I got up infront of all these people I barely knew, I could hardly get through the song. I had a voice in my head saying like "ok, here comes the Bm part, dont f**k up, dont f**k up--- ah you f**ked it up!". It was my first time playing infront of people other then a few friends, and I was sweating and shaking like a pig. Ahh what do I do?
Last edited by ICEandSNOW793 at Mar 13, 2007,
u keep trying and get used to it
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
I have the same problem man...usually I just get ****ed up before I play in front of ppl then I just loosen up.
dude pretend that you are isolated focus on nothing else but your guitar, your fingers, and what you are doing. Pretend you are doing it in your room all alone.
One thing I was taught as a kid was to look straight ahead at the back of the room you're in and pretend you're on your own.

Also, try not to think too much about what you're doing. If you're thinking, 'What am I doing now? What am I doing next?' you're bound to mess up at some point. The trick is to just know.
21st Century Digital Boy
Last edited by hardcoreatheist at Mar 13, 2007,
Quote by ce12872001
I have the same problem man...usually I just get ****ed up before I play in front of ppl then I just loosen up.

Hide your flask in your locker next time
I have the same problem, it makes me sound so bad. I'm not the greatest guitar player but i'm a lot better when i'm alone. As soon as i get in front of ppl i sound like i've been playing for a day.
My Gear:

Ibanez Prestige 1570L
LH Fender Standard Stratocaster Arctic White
Ibanez Gax 70L
Roland Cube 30X
Vox V847 Wah
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal

RedSox are better than you.
just focus on what you're playing, not like "what's next...oh yea... dont mess it up." just play it, and have fun.
I have that same problem... We had auditions for a talent show at our school, and I was soooo nervous, I was sweating. And I had to sing and I think I sound like crap. So anyways, we started to play and I told myself "Calm down, just act like your in band practice. There's nobody in the seats. It's just you and the music." And we did ok. People thought we were great. And for the looking thing, either look at your neck and what you're doing, and don't think about it. For singing, like someone said before me, look straight at the back of the place. It'll look like in the crowd, that you're looking at them. Or look right above there heads. You'll do fine though. Good luck...
i used to be scared as hell. at the first gig that my band played, i stalled so bad, everyone was yelling to start. but the more gigs i played, the better i got with an audience. hell, now i play better infront of people. i still get really nervous at first but i loosen up as i go. just play more and get used to it.
you do get used to it, when i first started playing rhythm i was gut wrenchingly ,vibrato on ever note whether it needed it or not,sweaty palmed, sick to the pit of my stomach, nervous, i'd just got used to it nicely then switched to lead,how many fingers have i got? what do i use them for?whats this lump of wood in my hand? and why is it strung with fence wire? It only takes one rapturous applause and it all goes away.It also helps if you can play your stuff whilst looking out of the window, then you know in your own mind you can play it.
to the erson who said picture every one in their underwear; i find that it works better if u picture only the girls in underwear, men in underwear staring at me is never good...
just be yourself.... and relax stay focused... try to imagine that you are just practicing or playing around in your room...

improve your confidence a bit... get used to the crowds... goodluck...

i too experienced this proble.. but now.... playing for the crowd is what i like the most..
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS
Shutting the audience out is what I need to learn to do... does anyone play with their eyes closed? I know the late Mitch Hedberg used to do his comedy routine with his eyes sqeezed shut, but I suppose playing guitar takes a little more coordenation then stoner jokes...
Dude I really suck with people too, I am EXTREMELY self concious and even playing in front of my parents or occasionally my brother will throw me off bad. I couldn't even play Stairway for my mom, even though I was playing in 5 minutes before showing her. I'm really awful around my friends which makes it look like I can't play, lol. But like the one guy said, if you focus on what you're doing you will mess up (at least I do). When I try and pay attention to how I'm fingering and what note I'm on and such, I totally screw up and lose track of the beat. Anyways sorry for rambling and good luck, because I know how it feels.
pretend the audience isn't there. if i'm nerveous before a big show i will just look at my fretboard 90% of the time. it works for me so give it a try next time you play in front of a crowd
Jackson Ke3 Kelly
Dean Exotica Acoustic
Gibson SG
Line 6 Spider II
Digitech Death Metal
Dunlop Cry-Baby From Hell

Soon to have a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
i just looked at my guitar for when i preformedi still messed up but i wasn't nervous. just shut them out and calm down. stop think and start playing, if you don't and listen to the voice inside your head then your bound to mess up.
What usually works for me is to get up on stage and I like to believe I am the greatest guitarist out there (when I'm obviously not). The cockier you are the more confident. The more confident the less nervous. The less nervous, the better you do. But NEVER be cocky once you get off that stage unless you are the greatest guitarist alive, which you are not.
Wear shades
Drink lotsa lotsa water
Try not to freak out,treat the crowd as though as their your friends
Move around,don't just stick to one place,just have fun and you'll be fine.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
If you believe in all of your heart that you can play it perfectly, you should trust others to believe it too. that's the key, just trust yourself...
...And The Nominees Are
Quote by ICEandSNOW793
Wow, allright, I have bad stage fright. I took my guitar to school as part of a research project, and I played Little Wing as part of the demonstration, and christ I can not play infront of people. I can play the intro back to front perfectly when Im alone, but when I got up infront of all these people I barely knew, I could hardly get through the song. I had a voice in my head saying like "ok, here comes the Bm part, dont f**k up, dont f**k up--- ah you f**ked it up!". It was my first time playing infront of people other then a few friends, and I was sweating and shaking like a pig. Ahh what do I do?

Dude, you're playing a classic song. You should know you're the man, when playing.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
ah...heres how i fixed that for me...i brought my takamine to school and in every period i played until i got to the point where everyone was watching me and being like omg my brothers been studying in college and your better than he is, id laugh it off as a compliment, unless someone comes up and tells you off, youll be okay, if they do that, donkey punch them in the back of the head, then everyone laughs, and keep playing haha

basically playing in front of ppl more often is all you need, but gain their respect and get a confidence booster, let them know your good
Fear and anxiety...probably one of the hardest things to overcome when playing in front of a crowd. It is talked about in all forms of music and even brought up in many teaching books. There is a book , I think it is Anxiety Attacked by John MacArthur,Jr. that deals with this.

I have been playing out since I was 5 (beginners show our teacher put on). and am now 46. Sometimes on the solo gigs, I still get nervous before a show. I think everyone does if they care about there performance.

I will say this though. It gets easier the more you do it. When I was playing in a band out on the road 5 and 6 night a week. I was so used to it, I almost got bored on stage at times.

Just keep on doing it, and try to play for people as much as you can(friends and family ect.).
Last edited by gtr1960 at Mar 16, 2007,
your thinking too much about the riffs you need to know those notes in your heart man. get that shit on lockdown and pump it like ****ing mobil
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
i learned this from slash,watch slash from guns n roses,he doesnt like looking into the crowd,check it man
something i just learned the last week. i've tried it and it really seems to help. the basis of this technique is based on the idea that nervousness is in your body not your mind. meaning no matter what you think, it wont work. if your body is doing something else, you dont have time to be nervous.

example, do some jumping jacks or what ever to get your body moving, another thing is just keep telling yourself, im gonna **** up, i must look stupid up here, but the key is to laugh about it, if you laugh about you take your mind off of it and your body can relax. if your laughing at yourself, it wont matter if other people do too. thats when, if you really know your stuff, you'll play it almost perfect.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Dude, i found its easier to play in front of strangers than in front of your peers.

Trust me, i was 12 when i first took the stage in a band, i was nervous as hell, but you get over it, and if you have fun while your doing it its alot better.

Youll get there, have faith.
Quote by Kestral
Dude, i found its easier to play in front of strangers than in front of your peers.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think, too.

I always have a Relentless before going on stage (it's a high-caffeine energy drink) and that usually helps.
Quote by holybassbatman!
Most people on UG are teenage boys who think that the only way they can assert their 'dominancy' is by making others feel low and bossing them around. More than likely in real life they are subject to bullying.
True?

When ever I play infront of people I don't care what they think because most of them can't even play guitar or bass.
When I first started playing in front of people I usually got so excited that I'd start strumming wildly and miss notes and things. I guess it was my way of coping with my nervousness. There is no wrong or right way to play in front of a crowd without the anxiety. Although I don't suggest inhibiting your playing by doing any substance. Concentrate too much on what you're doing and you will f**k up. The key is to balance your mind to pay attention to what you're playing and to pay attention to what you do on the stage. No one likes a guitar/bass player who just stands there like a zombie. Loosen up and move around a bit, once you get enough confidence you'll have a big sh*t eating grin on your face and you'll feel more free to move around.

But like I said, there is no right or wrong way. Do what you're most comfortable with. The more you play in front of people the more comfortable you'll feel about it trust me.
Enlightened demons
Are taking me by the hand
Approaching me,
This great eye speaking
Gojira - Ocean Planet
You just have to always remember that fukcing up on stage IS NOT A BIG DEAL...it happens to everyone.
If youre like me, that nervousness just came from being scared of the consequences of messing up in front of people, since you have no problem playing alone.
It's easy to have a distorted concept of what other people are going to think of you if you screw up on stage. I always imagine everyone ostracizing me if I screw up, but the truth is, NOBODY REALLY CARES. After you played, was everyone like "man you $$$$ing suck, I don't want to talk to you any more" or "hot damn you are fukcing terrible"?? No, they weren't (if they were, then they're total douchebags), and the reason they weren't is because YOU care about yourself messing up on stage considerably more than they do, as is almost always the case.

Well, see what you can pull out of that ...oh and don't take the advice of whoever told you to be cocky. If you don't take yourself seriously, you will find you are much more relaxed on stage. Don't worry about being cool: no good musician respects a hack just because they act cocky on stage. Be confident, fine, but if you try and act cocky on stage, people usually will make fun of you when you screw up.
Practice it enough that you can play it with your eyes closed, while riding around on rollerblades in a crowded roller rink. Know it like the back of your hand.

And then don't look at the audience. Or don't think at all.
i used to have the same problem man. drink as much as u can, get drunk, then u wont care what the audience think u will just nail every note you have to play if you practiced enough. other than that, just pretend all the ppl that have payed to see you, start by playing to all you'r friends, then ur family, and the more people, the more confidence you will have. If you are nervous on stage you will look like a guitar noob, but if you want to show everyone you'r great skills, then why be nervous?
The best piece of advice I ever got actually came from playing golf. I use to get extremely nervous on the first tee, especially if I was playing with people I hadn't played with before, or if there were people standing around watching.

More often then not I would hit a terrible shot and be cursing myself for the next 5 minutes for 'not being able to handle the pressure'.

Somebody told me that being nervous was just the bodies way of saying that your excited. This changed my whole outlook. After hearing this, as I was walking onto the tee and felt those butterflies in my stomach, I would think "excellent, I'm excited to be here, I can't wait to have my shot. There isn't anywhere else I would rather be" That would calm me down instantly and I actually now look forward to those types of moments. It doesn't mean I always hit a great shot, but I know a poor first tee shot is from a poor swing or bad preparation, not from nerves.

I found this advise works exactly the same when playing to an audience. I remember my first time, was nervous, thought that I was excited and that calmed me down and I played great (not perfect but who does?). I've never really had a problem since...

Hope that helps