So I play metal/rock/ and punk and though other people who play this sort of music...

Seem to like J-pickups better than P-pickups. I am the opposite. Though I do like the smooth J-pickups, I prefer the P because theres more mid so you can get a more unique sound. I own a RBX170 that gives me both pickups so maybe thats why I prefer it.

Although it may be that the P-pickups are closer to the neck than the J meaning it gets more bass... I think. Anyway, what I really would like to know is what type of pickups do you guys prefer.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
For typical metal/rock/punk as you said, P-Pickups will sound fine. I prefer J-Pickups for the versatility. You can get a pretty convincing P sound out of a neck J pickup.
i think more bassists in those genres use j-basses. and j-basses have higher mids.
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
Quote by caughtinamosh
i think more bassists in those genres use j-basses. and j-basses have higher mids.

O Rly? Thats weird because mine doesn't seem to be like that. Maybe because its a low end model.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Correct me if I'm wrong but J pickups have a lot more mids and P's have a lot more low end. I use the P pickup on my bass because it's much deeper and just sounds meaner imo. As it was said before Jazz pups have more mids which help with cutting through and have pretty much become a must in punk bass tones.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I have rarely ever used a J-bass but the few times I have tried them gave me a full hatred of P pickups. The J's are just so more versatile, I can't stand the one trick pony of the P-bass. I mean with the right amp it can go places sure but if you really still want your basses sound it's really got 3 tones tone knob full, half, off.
well i used to use p pickups, on my p bass but now i use j pickups on my warwick and i seem to prefer them
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
just dont expect the same thump and attack from a j-bass as you do from a p-bass. j basses have awesome tone, but p-basses have the power.

ive had the pleasure of trying a jazz style, a precision style, and a p-special.
actually i get an amazin thump out of my warwick with j pickups
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by hatebreed219
Correct me if I'm wrong but J pickups have a lot more mids and P's have a lot more low end. I use the P pickup on my bass because it's much deeper and just sounds meaner imo. As it was said before Jazz pups have more mids which help with cutting through and have pretty much become a must in punk bass tones.

then why does almost every punk band use a P Bass?
Some Guy?
Well... darndit. So whats the best way to go when looking for a new bass? I want both sounds without spending alot of money or buying two basses. I guess thats what humbuckers are for. What are they like? Arn't you suppose to be able to kind of get whatever sound you want from those?

I would really like a Fender J bass as my second bass (although I am not getting a new one anytime soon) because they looks great, heard they are comfortable, and though I know this should not matter, my some of my favorite bassists that play here locally use them.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Humbuckers are the way to go, plently of punch and I just love the feel of playing fingerstyle resting my thumb against a humbucker. Does anyone else find your generic P pup really uncomfortable to rest against?
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.