Squier® Affinity Series Stratocaster Electric Guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510423

Fender Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037

squire is 150$
fender is 300+

.... can't see a difference but im noob when it comes to guitars (i have squire bullet thats it)

help me? wondering if it would be worth going for fender,
The Fender will have vastly superior hardware. EVERYTHING about it is again, vastly superior. Go play them—you'll see.

I could describe how they're different, but seriously just go play them. It's a world of difference.

My suggestion: Squier first, then Fender.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
go for the fender
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
The big difference is that the squier will have worse pickups.

Also all the hardware is inferior, mainly the tuners.

It also says squier instead of Fender on the headstock.

And the alder body might be inferior but i somehow doubt that.
It all depends on how much money you have to spend. The Fender is far superior, but if you don't end up getting that kind of cash, there's no shame in going with the Squier, thye make a good quality guitar, especially for a beginner. I have a Squier Telecaster and it's great, and I have friends who have the Stratocaster and it's great too. However, go with the Fender if you have the means.
Natural Blonde w/ Black pickguard Squier Affinity Telecaster
Epiphone Slingshot 25R Amplifier
Dunlop Tortex .5mm Picks - Red
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Danelectro Fab Chrous Pedal
Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah Pedal
There's not much difference. Just go for the Squier and upgrade the parts.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Fender
+Better Pickups
+Better overall quality
+Better Hardware
-$300

Squier
+$150
+uh...thats it
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
Well, if you buy a Stratocaster you'll probably end up upgrading the pickups anyways, so you could ignore the fact that the Fender has better pickups. In addition to that the hardware on a Squier isn't really all that bad if you know how to set it up.
Quote by Kensai
Personally, I find that the main difference between guitars isn't related to the sound output quality (pickups, etc). I find the most important difference is playability. I have a gibson SG and a Epi LP jr (starter set one). I would describe the SG as more playable, easier to play? more fun to play? Which is simply a result of better craftsmanship and more work put into the guitar.

Although... the Epi is more fun to junk around with (messing around with sanding down the neck, attemping to install a floating bridge... and failing and then going back to a wrap-around stopbar and having a bunch of extra holes in the body, etc.

I would assume the same goes between Squiers and Fenders.
Last edited by greenbox at Mar 13, 2007,
Quote by greenbox
Personally, I find that the main difference between guitars isn't related to the sound output quality (pickups, etc). I find the most important difference is playability. I have a gibson SG and a Epi LP jr (starter set one). I would describe the SG as more playable, easier to play? more fun to play? Which is simply a result of better craftsmanship and more work put into the guitar.

Although... the Epi is more fun to junk around with (messing around with sanding down the neck, attemping to install a floating bridge... and failing and then going back to a wrap-around stopbar and having a bunch of extra holes in the body, etc.

I would assume the same goes between Squiers and Fenders.

You're comparing two different SHAPED guitars. Of course they'll feel different. The threadstarter is comparing two Strats that have nearly the same feel to each other. The Les Paul and SG shape are just... different.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Motoxracer433
Fender
+Better Pickups
+Better overall quality
+Better Hardware
-$300

Squier
+$150
+uh...thats it

+5

An idea: Save up about a grand and get an American strat.
Better idea: Get a Mexican standard strat and upgrade the pickups and other hardware. That is pretty much the only reason MIM strats are made.
Quote by which ones pink
+5

An idea: Save up about a grand and get an American strat.
Better idea: Get a Mexican standard strat and upgrade the pickups and other hardware. That is pretty much the only reason MIM strats are made.

You don't really know much about strats, do you? hahah.
i have a squire tele, and i love it, but you can tell it was probably made in a swat shop in asia :P for example, the pickguard isnt cut that perfectly.
The fender would, in most events, be much more solid of a guitar. The hardware will be better, the craftsmanship will be better, just better over all. You should test any guitar before you buy it though.

Also, can you tell me the difference between the Electric Guitar Forum and the Guitar GEar & Accessories Forum? For future reference, go to Electric Guitar for you questions about electric guitars, .
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by which ones pink
Would you mind explaining why you say that?

Well, the hardware is the same. Sometimes you get an upgraded tuner I think, but generally speaking they're overall almost the same guitar I think, or they were a few years ago. The only difference is not where they're manufactured, but where they're assembled and set up.

Of course some of the American series offer nicer guitars and upgrades, mainly finish packages etc. But generally they're the same guitars built to the same tolerances using the same materials, just one is assembled by a different person than the other.

So basically when you buy an American strat all you're doing is paying for (sometimes) better pickups and fret dress/assembly/setup by fender's American factory. I suppose the tolerances could be higher, but from what I've read and heard the guitars are nearly identical.
Quote by which ones pink
^ OK gotcha.
BTW I don't own a strat, I'm just going by what everyone else on this site says.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to be a douche or anything, but its actually true.

I've got four.. and only one is an American strat.

To be entirely honest, if you're selective about it.. the pick of the litter of a mexican strat is easily on par with an american strat and less than half the price.
Quote by Generalpwnt
You're comparing two different SHAPED guitars. Of course they'll feel different. The threadstarter is comparing two Strats that have nearly the same feel to each other. The Les Paul and SG shape are just... different.

Oh, my bad. I was actually referring to the neck/fretboard specifically, but you do have a point.
Sorry about putting this in the wrong place, and thanks for your comments..... It seems like they are really familiar.

So the only real differences is that the fender is..... assembled in america? and they do it better?

Squires.... assembled in Asia? and they no assemble as good?

Corrections on my thoughts if needed. Sounds like i'll be getting me a Squire.
ok well. i one a squier a mexican made strat and an american strat.

the squier is an affinity. alder wood. the pickups needed to be swapped out and the bridge and tuners are weak. but the neck has a nice feel. the frets arent really finished well. the ends are pointed and needed to be filed.

the mexican made fender Standard, is also alder. the pickups were much better, i had them in there for over 5 years or so before swapping them out. the bridge is a little hard to keep in tune but i keep the springs tight and that makes all the difference. the neck has a really nice feel and has never failed in over 10 years. this is a guitar that's easy to mod and gig with.

the american made strat, looks and feels impressive. the finish is perfect. the neck is so smooth, the electronics have a heavier feel. the pickups dont need to be upgraded, and after taking it apart i could see why it was so quiet. every wire was thick, the guard was 3 ply and shielded, everything was heavy gauge and checked and inspected by a tech.

i think that squires are good for starters, and mex and american made guitars are both good values.

in all cases, u need to pick a good guitar from the start.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Teltic
So the only real differences is that the fender is..... assembled in america? and they do it better?

mex fenders are assembled in mexico. with mostly mexican parts.
american made fenders are assembled in america with either mexican or american parts.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011