Page 1 of 3
Inspired by the Unique Guitarists thread that was in the pit. I searched but nothing came up so here goes.

Who do YOU think is a unique bassist?

For me its Reginald "Fieldy" Arvizu (Korn) and Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne) are extremely unique.

Discuss
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
Flea from rhcp, the dude from korn like u said and Mike Dirnt from Greenday is a great bass player as well and the dude from the Matches is impressive
As far as innovative and unique I got to give it to Claypool. You're never going to find anyone that sounds like him.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by futurejimmypage
Flea from rhcp, the dude from korn like u said and Mike Dirnt from Greenday is a great bass player as well and the dude from the Matches is impressive

I really like Flea, but what do you find so original about him?
Quote by futurejimmypage

I fail to see how Mike Dirnt is original in anyway...

Someone explain.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles

Someone explain.

I don't believe he knows what he is talking about seeing he is a guitarist and has an icon of the black parade, whichever crappy band that is.
i'm origional

but on another note i go with Victor wooten, Micheal Balzary, ryan martinie and fat mike
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Pfff.. Michael Balzary why can't you just call him Flea. That is flea right? Micheal Peter Balzary or something like that.

Anyway that's a really tough question.. AHA! Found the loophole once again MINGUS, CHARLES.
i don't call him flea because i think his real name sounds cooler, balzary
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Marcus Miller is definately one of a kind, as is Stuart Hamm. Victor Wooten is "Unique" in that he's the only player that comes to mind when I think "Pure Wankerage" relating to bass...
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
John Myung has this style of tapping and fingerstyle that makes him stand out to me...I dunno why
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Pfff.. Michael Balzary why can't you just call him Flea. That is flea right? Micheal Peter Balzary or something like that.

Anyway that's a really tough question.. AHA! Found the loophole once again MINGUS, CHARLES.

Well said.

Les does deserve a mention though, his personality and quirky style is pretty original.
Quote by FLrhcpEA
I don't believe he knows what he is talking about seeing he is a guitarist and has an icon of the black parade, whichever crappy band that is.

You're only half right. "The Black Parade" is not a band however it is a cd by a crappy band. This crappy band of course being My Chemical Romance.

AHA! Found the loophole once again MINGUS, CHARLES.

Hell yes!! He does not get the credit or mention that he deserves. Dammnit people need to show respect for jazz.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
How about Phil Lesh?
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Les Claypool and Mingus are incomparable. While I do respect most of the other bassists listed here, no-one could ever nail what makes Les and Mingus great.
Billy Sheehan, Steve Harris
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
John Entwistle-First to make lead basslines.

Larry Graham-Invented slap bass!

John Deacon-Ingenious simplicity.
Actually players like Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten owe their inspiration to Stanley Clarke.

Also there is a serious lack of Tony Levin...
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Jean Baudin anyone?
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by Woogles

Someone explain.

Older Green Day stuff, he did some cool groovy bass lines.

Really uncalled for, try not to start a silly fight just because you dont like the band he has in his avatar, k?
Some Guy?
I gotta say Stanley Clarke, Stu Hamm, Mingus are up there for uniqueness of talent for me.

And I just love Claypool for being Claypool and man, such a fun person to see live.
Jimmy Blanton anyone? Jesus, people these days don't know about their roots.

Charlie Haden? Best Jazz Upright bassist ever? I think so.

Hands down the two most Unique bassists of their time periods (yes I know Haden is still alive and playing.)

Claypool on the other hand, is one of the most unique persons in the entire world, let alone bass.
Quote by IndianRockStar
John Entwistle-First to make lead basslines.

Larry Graham-Invented slap bass!

John Deacon-Ingenious simplicity.

HELL YEAH!

but i also find dirk lance unique and... JPJ how come nobody mentions him here. i love that guy.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Claypool, obviously, and Nathan Hughes.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by 4STRINGBOY
HELL YEAH!

but i also find dirk lance unique and... JPJ how come nobody mentions him here. i love that guy.

Well, JPJ is indeed an awsome bassist,and the most underated member of Led Zeppelin(not to mention he's also an excellent keyboardist).
I must say that (although I'm not a bass-player myself) I was really shocked by the skills of Victor Wooten and his own personal UNIQUE style he has created
Well, as cliche as it is i think Jaco is very unique, simply for the way he recolutinized (sp) bass playing for almost all other bassists in the world.
Larry Graham for inventing the slap.
Les Claypool, 'cause its Les Claypool
Guy from Pearl Jam, i dont really like them all that much, but i dont think anyone else played a fretless in grunge.
and Chris Squire, for the likes of Roundabout and Heart Of The Sunrise
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Obviously Jaco, and les claypool too. Steve harris is also pretty unique
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Page 1 of 3