hey man i was just wondering...how do you get that indie sound? Like the Strokes or bloc party what kinda amps, guiatars, guitar settings, amp settings, pedals and pedal setings are used?
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2 12
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Jekyl and Hyde Ultimate Overvrive (the old school one)
i know its light can u use light distortion too? like what kind of pedals??
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Get a tube amp dude. Get like an Orange or something. And if you don't have the money, start saving.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Dude you dont think my crate can cut it? what about some pedals??? id hate to get another amp. i just barley got my crate
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Maybe, but if you want the tone, tube amps are the way to go. Just sell your Crate to some newb for a bunch of money.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
what price range would i be going into??? what do you recomoment?? im like a modest guitar player. like i not squire status, more like epiphone les paul status, but my skills dont deserve a gibson yet
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Quote by interpol1988
what price range would i be going into??? what do you recomoment?? im like a modest guitar player. like i not squire status, more like epiphone les paul status, but my skills dont deserve a gibson yet

I have the same amp as you, but I' selling it. This Christmas I got a Fender Blues Junior ($400, around the price of your Crate), and it's all-tube. I'd suggest that if you don't have alot of money, or a used tube amp.
You should really go with overdrive if you can, distortion isn't going to give you anything good. Use a lot of treble, and if you can get your hands on a tube amp, pump up the clean channel so that you get some nice natural overdrive. I reccomend a Vox VR30R. It's served me excellently. Almost anything from Vox should cut it, but I'd look into the VR30R if I were you. They're rarely more than $200 these days.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Last edited by VoodooChild15 at Mar 13, 2007,
My Guess would be:

Use a telecaster or a semi acoustic. Cut the bass, crank the treble, set mids to below half way. Set gain to about a third of the way round.
Last edited by Mathamology at Mar 13, 2007,
To sound "Indie"you have to unlearn the guitar.
Death Cube K

Quote by primusfan
i know an old lady who supports abortion because it's generally low-class black women getting it performed and for her the less inner-city black kids (or blacks in general) there are, the better.

Oh Damn
Just play 4/4 time with straight eighth note fifth chords and have some guy play a little lead riff over it. Bass plays the root notes of the chords.

You shouldn't want the indie sound.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by ihatefender

Lol. Good one
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
Ive seen some indie bands that can really play the guitar, and I really wouldn't say im much of an indie person. The Strokes are amazing and they are great guitar players especially after seeing Nick playing at a Guitar Center up north it was pretty impressive I would have to say and im used to Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Paco de Lucia, Al Di Meola, and the whatnot.
Custom Strat
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Electro Harmonix #1 Echo
Fender Blues Jr.
Crate V18

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
whis one gets more indie, my squire or epi LP? cus i think humbuckers are kinda too bassy for this sound, or mabe its just that i efed up the settings
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Quote by Dirge Humani
I was under the assumption that Indie meant you stayed away from major labels...there is no one "sound" to it, there could be indie metal, indie pop, indie jazz...

A) TS, wrong subforum.

B) Dirge is completely correct. Besdes, "Strokes" and "indie" shouldn't be used in the same sentence, unless that sentence is like "Man, whoever thinks that the Strokes are Indie is retarded."
Quote by VoodooChild15
Oh, come on. How is this not badass?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZyoD3hWtzU

The Strokes can play the God damn guitar.

no offense man, but I didn't find that video all that impressive...

From that video. he really reminds me of omar-rodriguez lopez of the mars volta, except much worse

of course, I'm not saying that the strokes guitarist is bad. I just personally didn't think it was too impressive.
Quote by ilikeguitar90
no offense man, but I didn't find that video all that impressive...

From that video. he really reminds me of omar-rodriguez lopez of the mars volta, except much worse

of course, I'm not saying that the strokes guitarist is bad. I just personally didn't think it was too impressive.

ORL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the dude from The Strokes.

Not saying The strokes are bad, cause they aren't. I kinda like em.

Are you ****ing kidding me bro? Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is way better than you'll ever be dude. It may not sound like he's playing the right notes because you're only used to listening to shitty mainstream rock, but theoretically all his notes are correct. Guitar World Magazine wouldn't name him one of the top 100 guitarists of the century for nothing you dumbass.
Its a pretty obscure sound TC.

You've probably never heard of it.
THIS IS A LARGE DISTRACTING SIGNATURE.
don't a lot of indie bands use thinline teles? or just humbucker-equipped teles in general?
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

Quote by gofusiesbass09
Are you ****ing kidding me bro? Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is way better than you'll ever be dude. It may not sound like he's playing the right notes because you're only used to listening to shitty mainstream rock, but theoretically all his notes are correct. Guitar World Magazine wouldn't name him one of the top 100 guitarists of the century for nothing you dumbass.

Did you really need to revive this ancient-ass thread to say that?

EDIT: Holy hell, this thread has been necro'd twice.
Quote by ihatefender

This^

...but then, stop practicing
An Orange Tiny Terror may be a good choice for you. A little overdrive and crank it right up and it should get you there, also use single coils.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, necrobump.

Quote by Flying Couch
Did you really need to revive this ancient-ass thread to say that?

EDIT: Holy hell, this thread has been necro'd twice.

This is one sorry corpse of a thread.
Last edited by Bearded_Seth at Feb 2, 2011,
Quote by interpol1988
hey man i was just wondering...how do you get that indie sound?

by pissing on the speaker stack?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by gofusiesbass09

Sorry to necro-bump again, but I needed to clarify on something I said earlier. I was saying that the guy from the Strokes sounded like a worse version of Omar Rodriguez Lopez, not the other way around. I love the Mars Volta. However, nowadays I love both the Strokes and Mars Volta. I still firmly believe that ORL is a more talented guitarist than the Strokes' guitarists.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there