Hello UG. Lately ive been struck with the desire to start modding my gear like crazy, in the hopes that I can make my rather cruddy gear( ) sound even a little bit better. And to that end, I would also like to start making my own pickups, but before I can do that I have a few questions I would very much appreciate if anyone could answer them.

1. How much would making my own pickups cost, on average(rough figure) and would be it be cheaper than buying them.

2. Do I need any special equipment to make pickups, other than the usual, like plyers, screwdrivers, Soldering Irons, etc.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks a bunch.

P.S. I know this doesnt belong here but I didnt want to make a whole other thread and bug people about it: Would it be possible to mod a Solid State amp and make it into a tube amp at a relatively low cost? Or is it possible at all? Thanks.
Brad Delp - June 12, 1951 to March 9, 2007 R.I.P
A kit with all your basic parts is going to be about $22. When you figure in the magnet wire, silver solder, and fabric tape you are looking at another $10 or more. If you want covers those will cost you too. It's easy to spend $30 to $40 on parts for 1 pickup. Your 1st pickup will take you several days to get right. You will start out breaking the wire every 20 seconds and then you will wind it so loose that it turns into a big mess. Winding is a skill that thakes a few days to get the hang of it and it takes a few months to get to where you can do it with any kind of consistancy.

For special equipment, you will need some way to count the wire, and you will need something to spin the bobbin on. I use a lathe to hold the bobbin and I use a timer to count my winds. Lots of people use a hand drill or a sowing machine for their 1st picku winder. If you go that round then just wind the bibbins untill they are full. Don't worry too much about exact number of counts. www.stewmac.com have a little bit of info on thier site about a do it yourself winder using a drill.

You are going to want a voltage meter to test DC current.

Once you start making a lot of pickups then there are a lot of tools you will need to get, but pickup winding isn't for everybody. Most people that try it give up before then even get one pickup. So don't go out spending lots of money on gear untill you know it's somethig you want to do.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Deja_Vu
1. How much would making my own pickups cost, on average(rough figure) and would be it be cheaper than buying them.

They have affordable pickup kits at stewmac.com.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Kits.html

Honestly, though, pickups aren't too expensive, and you can get some good ones for good prices. Check out guitarfetish.com, as your first DIY pickup may not be to your liking. You should still try to do it, though.

Quote by Deja_Vu
P.S. I know this doesnt belong here but I didnt want to make a whole other thread and bug people about it: Would it be possible to mod a Solid State amp and make it into a tube amp at a relatively low cost? Or is it possible at all? Thanks.

Sure, it belongs here, why not? It's a question about customizing an amp. But, no, it's not really possible to do that. And if it was, it certainly wouldn't be for a low cost. Best bet would be to save up for a new amp.
Thanks a lot guys, ill be sure to check those out.

And Forsakenazrael I know it belongs in this forum but I didnt think it really belonged in this thread, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Eh, its a cruddy starter Strat guitar that im really gonna have to do a lot of work on to make it better. The pickups arent that great, the neck is kind of uncomfortable, and its just overall not very good. Its a good learning guitar but im starting to get half decent and i'm hoping to get a better guitar but also learning to make my own pickups might come in handy later. And I cant buy my own pickups because im not old enough to get a job yet and any money I get is being saved towards getting an Epi Valve Junior amp.
They are very cheap yes, but do they ship to Canada? And I also want to make my own pickups as a learning experience, plus if its something I made myself ill appreciate it more too, ya know? So there's that, plus my parents dont have a credit card so unless GuitarFetish takes PayPal I think we can get them.
Alright, that sounds good, thanks. I have another question though, about the quality of the Guitarfetish pickups. How would they hold up to say Gibson or Duncan pickups? I dont expect them to be that good considering the price but are they at least good?