I hear about and see guitars that are considerably more than a new one of the same kind because they are "vintage". How old does a guitar have to be to be considered vintage and why do they cost more even in terrible shape?
a vintage strat (over twenty five years) is more expensive because as the wood ages it sound better, and quality was generally far better back then (especially pre-cbs buy out)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
a vintage strat (over twenty five years) is more expensive because as the wood ages it sound better, and quality was generally far better back then (especially pre-cbs buy out)

ok well my guestion is why does they wood matter if it is an eletric i could see acoustic but it really has no barrer on the sound of the pick ups correct?
The tone is affected by the wood. That's why good guitars have good tone wood.
^the tone of the guitar is actually made by the wood...and the strings (which make the sound btw)
the pickups are only there to pickup the wound the strings make

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
There's just something special about certain years of certain guitars. Pre 1964 Fender is considered the best for example and any guitar from that time period is worth alot.

Like stated, wood sweetens over time and there's nothing quite like the feel of a well played guitar. Things that affect it will include where the wood was sourced from, how they were made a long time ago (less mechanisation), the techniques used to make the pups etc etc. Really even on reissue's, there's only so much they can copy.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
What are "vintage" guitars? Scams. People are willing to pay that much because they're stuck in the past.

It happens.
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
Quote by Dom5412
What are "vintage" guitars? Scams. People are willing to pay that much because they're stuck in the past.

It happens.

That's not true. Well, obviously it will be in some cases. But I've had the luxury of playing on an early Les Paul Junior and it was one of the best guitars I've ever touched, sounded out of this world (a far cry from the supposed "entry level guitar" it was released as).
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

I meant the "relic" guitars. The reissues. They're a crock, imo.

I don't really have an opinion about the actual vintage instruments. If you like the way it sound, more power to you.
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
Yeah, I've never gotten the point of a 'relic' guitar. If you want an old looking guitar, get an old guitar! But a vintage guitar... hoo. I could go for one of thems. And by the way, ever single part of a guitar makes a difference, not just the pickups. That's why there's more than one kind of guitar, more than one kind of strings, more than one kind of nut... blah blah blah.
Yup, vintage is the way to go...

Reissues make me feel uncomfortable.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
1) Machines were limited in the 50's, so everything "vintage" is basically hand made
2) As something ages, it changes, and it just so happens that guitars change in a good way
3) There is no such thing as perfect tonewood anymore, due to the excess pollution the wood is exposed to

AND 4) Theres nothing sweeter than holding a chunck of history 3 times your age!
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Dom5412

I don't really have an opinion about the actual vintage instruments. If you like the way it sound, more power to you.

Oh yeah, I think they're silly too. The Fender Custom Shops are a waste of money really. After the top end of the MiA range you're just paying for looks. I like the look of "well played" instruments but I like that look to be organic.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by LightningRider
1) Machines were limited in the 50's, so everything "vintage" is basically hand made
2) As something ages, it changes, and it just so happens that guitars change in a good way
3) There is no such thing as perfect tonewood anymore, due to the excess pollution the wood is exposed to

AND 4) Theres nothing sweeter than holding a chunck of history 3 times your age!

I would argue that. People over react to the modern earth, it isn't really too different. Also, you could easily recreate those "perfect" conditions in a greenhouse.

Vintage stuff is nice, but I think it is half mental on shit like this.
Quote by Dom5412

yeah i never really understood why someone would pay $3000+ for a guitar that had the crap beaten out of it at a factory. scratches on a guitar are supposed to remind you how awesome that last gig was or that your a clumsy dumbass. either way its better than having someone else scratch it for you
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by garden of grey
I would argue that. People over react to the modern earth, it isn't really too different. Also, you could easily recreate those "perfect" conditions in a greenhouse.

Vintage stuff is nice, but I think it is half mental on shit like this.

You're absolutly right about it being a half mental thing. Vintage guitars just have an ora attached to them which is part of the experience.

But the newly industrialized world does have an affect on the wood, not a big effect, but an effect nonetheless. I dont think anyone plants trees in a greenhouse for guitars though, maybe something to try.

*goes to greenhouse and plants maple tree*
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
its about...

The wood
before most of them were handcrafted
the old school look
the tone

and the rest is the sentimental value of the guitar...
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS