What would be a good song to perform for an audition to get into a really good school for music like Berkeley College Of Music?
Gear:
-Brownsville BMAG3 (acoustic)
-Fender 70s Reissue 60th anniversary Stratocaster
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-Roland Digital Piano HP-4500
-(other stuff)
What's CoB?
Gear:
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-(other stuff)
well what are you going to study there? what style of guitar do you play, jazz, classical, etc.?
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Just basically show them you know theory, scales, how to read, and some basic knowledge of your equipment. You don't need to rip Eruption out of no-where, just show them your scales. Thats how I got in.
i think someone should start a thread for people to ask about things like this...
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
I would like to study Jazz Composition, Classical, contemporary, performance, w/e (I haven't made an absolutely certain decision yet). I enjoy almost all types of music so I really am not limited with genres. However, I hate crappy music like pop, pop punk, ...Children of Bodom..., etc. I would appreciate any help you can give me. thnx
Gear:
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-(other stuff)
Quote by fas11030
I would like to study Jazz Composition, Classical, contemporary, performance, w/e (I haven't made an absolutely certain decision yet). I enjoy almost all types of music so I really am not limited with genres. However, I hate crappy music like pop, pop punk, ...Children of Bodom..., etc. I would appreciate any help you can give me. thnx

i'm sorry, but CoB is not crappy... you don't have to like it, but they are not crappy, at least not in most people's opinions
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
OK let me rephrase that: I think Children Of Bodom is shit...
Gear:
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-(other stuff)
I think they'd prefer something that displays more technical proficiency than knowledge of theory, since you don't need to know the music theory behind a piece to play it proficiently.

They'll probably test your knowledge of theory separately from an audition piece.
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
i've been thinking of some Wes Montgomery, what do you think?
Gear:
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-(other stuff)
Alright then. Like the guy said before Giant Steps by Coltrane would be a feat. For classical play something from Bach's BWV 997 Suite or something like. I'm learning the 5 songs from the suite and they are hard but show great (classical) guitar skills. you can find some free sheet music to that on mutopiaproject.org. just look in classical guitar, and it'll be at the top.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Quote by fas11030
OK let me rephrase that: I think Children Of Bodom is shit...

whatever... you're opinion... i could give a fuck less what you think
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Don't play stupid, standard shit like fast and technical electrical guitar runs. That's so lame.

Show them you KNOW something by playing a complex piece, utilizing various aspects of high level music, both contemporary and classical, and use your abilities as a musician to bring out the clarity and beauty of the note.

Show you have a wide knowledge of music and choose a piece that they probably would not have heard, that shows that your sensors extend to some realm which is out of the bubble of "standard" music.

But, knowing UG, no one ****ing cares about doing this.

"Play CoB!!!!"
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Mar 13, 2007,
Maybe Blue Powder by Vai? Its extremly compositional (in a modern sense), the man went there, and its an impressive ballad. or maybe jam a blues tune, apparently you can do a jam with the teachers for an audition
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
2112 by Rush would impress the judges the most.

Or I'd go for some SRV, but that's just me.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Your playing will speak volumes. The song you choose will not.
Check out my latest recording on my profile
Quote by scheck006
Your playing will speak volumes. The song you choose will not.

Well I dont think theyd be impressed with Smells like Teen Spirit or Master of Puppets.

Confuscious once said "No matter how many times you shake, last drop always ends up in pants"
Quote by insideac
Well I dont think theyd be impressed with Smells like Teen Spirit or Master of Puppets.

Confuscious once said "No matter how many times you shake, last drop always ends up in pants"

You could take smells like teen spirit and add an intense solo with coltrane changes.
Check out my latest recording on my profile
If you want to study jazz and Classical, I'd get a classical fingerstyle piece ready on a nylon string (Sor, Villa-Lobos, and Segovia arrangements of Bach come to mind), and then a solo jazz piece from someone like Django, Wes Montgomery, etc.

In my experience, colleges usually want you to have two pieces prepared. BTW, calling them "pieces" and not "songs" will go a long way with the professors.
Death to Ovation haters!
if you have half as much feeling in playing SRV as he does in his toenails, you could work wonders, although a lot of people probably go in there playing that stuff, and pretending to make that face he does on high bends.
any other suggestions?
Gear:
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-(other stuff)
Take one of your favorite songs and work out a peice on guitar which has the melody line for the vocals as well as the guitar parts.

Also, you could chose a cool song and play with a backing track, if you do that well and in time it will impress them. Do not do any cliche songs, try and be original. Also dont do songs from grade books (like rockschool) because its too predictable and they probably get that all the time.

I'm learning about audition peices at college at the moment and were having an assesment which is based on it, so take my advice!

Songs I would reccomend...hmmm...yesteday by the beatles could be cool. Also, for our assesment im doing hotel california unplugged (the solo part at the start and end) I think that could be impressive. Or even classico by tenacious d would work a treat!