Its well known that jimi page ONLY used the A pentatonic.
Nothing else.
EVER.
Not once.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
It's a fact that if your scale isn't in the A Minor Pentatonic, it's not a real solo.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Most of his Eastern sounding stuff was with a D major scale in DADGAD tuning, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by Smokey Amp
It's a fact that if your scale isn't in the A Minor Pentatonic, it's not a real solo.

so he used the a minor or a major scale
Depends.
On what guitar.
Jimi's Les paul could barely play the A Major pentatonic because of the stretchs, and it had a fat neck.
But on his strats or Danelectro's He always played the A major pentatonic because he could make the stretchs.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x

Quote by Zach_F
Its well known that jimi page ONLY used the A pentatonic.
Nothing else.
EVER.
Not once.

i think the thread should've been closed after that, were done here
Quote by VoodooChild15
Most of his Eastern sounding stuff was with a D major scale in DADGAD tuning, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for.

No...It was definetly all A pentatonics...
He used special picks for the eastern sounding stuff.
Everyone knows you cant tune a guitar t to DADGAD You'll break the neck after like an hour dude.
Dont make this poor kid break his guitar.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

most minor pentatonic, some major pentatonic. look for embellishment notes like a miner 6th, , or majpr 9th in there too
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
major or minor pentatonics, and come to think of it...a lot of zeppelin songs ARE in A, haha, w/e
Quote by HelpMeImHungry
most minor pentatonic, some major pentatonic. look for embellishment notes like a miner 6th, , or majpr 9th in there too

Nope. Jimmy page didnt know theory, so he definetly did not use anything related to a 9th other then the 9th fret in an A pentatonic scale.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Quote by guitarzan313
so he used the a minor or a major scale
Quote by Smokey Amp

...why must you ask when it's already clearly stated?
Because using the same notes as him will make you sound like him.

Guaranteed.
no
Last edited by bucky_2300 at Mar 13, 2007,
Im glad you know that.
Jimmy page only used the A pentatonics. Depending on his guitar.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Quote by bucky_2300

Guaranteed.

It works for me...
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Quote by bucky_2300

Guaranteed.

did i ever once say i was intending that, asshat
A lot of his stuff uses the A blues scale too, aka A minor pentatonic with a flat 5th(I believe, I'm no theory whiz).

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone can just play on pentatonics, thats so boring. You've got to bust out the blues every once and a while.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Zach_F

Everyone knows you cant tune a guitar t to DADGAD You'll break the neck after like an hour dude.

Man, you fell off the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down, didn't you.

Tuning your guitar to DADGAD will not harm it in any way! Worst case scenario, you need to adjust the truss rod. Guitar necks aren't made of high-tension glass, they don't break easily. Besides, DADGAD is lessening the tension on the neck due to tuning down... it's not going to snap the thing.

Quote by guitarzan313
did i ever once say i was intending that, asshat

What is your intention then? To clone his style?
no
Quote by Zach_F
No...It was definetly all A pentatonics...
He used special picks for the eastern sounding stuff.

please dear god tell me you're joking. double drop d with the b string lowered a step is gonna snap the neck on your guitar? have you ever played the rain song? that's tuned dgcgcd and i can leave my guitar tuned to it for a week with no problems. again, sorry if you just suck at sarcasm, but i thought i should point that out.
I will fuc
Quote by bucky_2300
Man, you fell off the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down, didn't you.

Tuning your guitar to DADGAD will not harm it in any way! Worst case scenario, you need to adjust the truss rod. Guitar necks aren't made of high-tension glass, they don't break easily. Besides, DADGAD is lessening the tension on the neck due to tuning down... it's not going to snap the thing.

Nah bud thats you.
Because you clearly cannot recognize an ENTIRE THREAD OF SARCASM.
Ill reapropriate the term,
ASSHAT.
good god.
I hope your a recent learner of english, because if you cant recognize that sarcasm, english is not the language for you.
Of course I know the guitar isnt made of glass...dimwit.

Im even more dissapointed.
Two of you.
Just read the above post and apply it to yourself, then go to wikipedia.
Search.
SARCASM.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Last edited by Zach_F at Mar 13, 2007,
Quote by bucky_2300
What is your intention then? To clone his style?

no just play along with stuff
Quote by moup
Wait, are you serious that you can't tune to DADGAD?

Of course you can tune to that.

Quote by Zach_F
Nah bud thats you.
Because you clearly cannot recognize an ENTIRE THREAD OF SARCASM.
Ill reapropriate the term,
ASSHAT.
good god.
I hope your a recent learner of english, because if you cant recognize that sarcasm, english is not the language for you.
Of course I know the guitar isnt made of glass...dimwit.

Welcome to the internet - I can't hear you talk. If you don't put something like a smiley in the post, I can only assume you're being serious. Ironically, you neglected to spot the hyperbole (a literary device, just like sarcasm!) in my "glass" comment.

And don't make disparaging remarks about my capability of using language - I can spot one invented word and multiple errors in that post alone.

Quote by guitarzan313
no just play along with stuff

Tabs work fairly well for me as far as that goes, but whatever is easiest for you.
no
Quote by bucky_2300
Welcome to the internet - I can't hear you talk. If you don't put something like a smiley in the post, I can only assume you're being serious.

And don't make disparaging remarks about my capability of using language - I can spot one invented word and multiple errors in that post alone.

dominated in a led zeppelin thread by a guy that doesn't even like led zeppelin! DOUBLE PWNAGE!
I will fuc
Quote by bucky_2300
Welcome to the internet - I can't hear you talk. If you don't put something like a smiley in the post, I can only assume you're being serious. Ironically, you neglected to spot the hyperbole (a literary device, just like sarcasm!) in my "glass" comment.

Welcome to UG, Where I can make up as many words as I want.
You should know that on a website thats' most popular word was once, "butt secks" sarcasm runs rampant. My posts are rife with smilies as well, Thank you very much.

Wait, Was that sarcastic?

Saintjimmy dont be a vulture, Your just being that pain in the ass that chimes in with "I told ya so".

And for the record.
I cant stand zeppelin.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Last edited by Zach_F at Mar 13, 2007,
Quote by Zach_F
You should know that on a website thats' most popular word was once, "butt secks" sarcasm runs rampant.

don't even try, man. you're "sarcasm" already blew up in your face once. save face and die.
I will fuc
Quote by Zach_F
You should know that on a website thats' most popular word was once, "butt secks" sarcasm runs rampant. My posts are rife with smilies as well, Thank you very much.

What? The popularity of that word had nothing to do with sarcasm. That would lean more toward immaturity.

In conclusion, to the OP - tune your guitar to DADGAD and play an A Minor Pentatonic. If the neck breaks, you're doing it wrong.
no
butt out, You missed the train.
The semi witty retort from bucky beat you, so go ahead and curl up in the corner.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Quote by bucky_2300
What? The popularity of that word had nothing to do with sarcasm. That would lean more toward immaturity.

In conclusion, to the OP - tune your guitar to DADGAD and play an A Minor Pentatonic. If the neck breaks, you're doing it wrong.

Pretty much.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Do people no realise Zach F was being sarcastic? Seriously, let's untangle our underwear and go about our business.

not to be a jerk or anything but wrong forum. But since we're talking about Page its excusable.
Thank you.
Jimmy page uses all kinds of scales threadstarter, You can tune your guitar to Dadgad.
He uses a lot of pentatonics, but others as well.
Obviously the chords under the songs arent pentatonics, But the solo's are for a good part pentatonic.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Quote by Zach_F

Saintjimmy dont be a vulture, Your just being that pain in the ass that chimes in with "I told ya so".

And for the record.
I cant stand zeppelin.

You have no soul. Al Qaeda lover.

Throughout earlier Led Zeppelin (I-IV), Jimmy used mostly minor pentatonic with a bit of blues scale and some aeolian. He later used some more exotic scales like harmonic minor and some easter/middle-eastern scales, while using a crapload of alternate turnings like DADGAD (Kashmir), DGCGCD (Rain Song), and EACFAC (When The Levee Breaks).
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
... Now I remember why I never come in the Pit.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Quote by Zach_F

And for the record.
I cant stand zeppelin.

I can understand that's opinion...but

And you're a bass player, of all things! John Paul Jones? Ugggh.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
and he played rickenbacker (no clue how to spell it) not danelectro for his other tunings and a strat or tele once in awhile
Quote by zep1975
and he played rickenbacker (no clue how to spell it) not danelectro for his other tunings and a strat or tele once in awhile

A Tele once in awhile? Once in awhile!? Sure you don't mean often? Don't forget studio work.
Don't forget he played with BLAIZIN SPEED!!!11!!

Nah, I love Jimmy. He usually just used a minor pentatonic scale or sometimes he'd throw in the 2nd and 6th and play the Minor scale. Not sure he used much of anything else.