i have a pair of EMG-89s (the ones with the coil tap) but they seem to have a pretty low output, at least compared to my Gibson Les Paul's stock pickups. i installed them myself and they work and sound fine(tone wise), but they are somewhat noisy and dont seem to have very much output, which is pretty much the opposite of what an EMG is suppose to be - Loud when playing, and quiet when not. i havent opened the guitar back up to see if maybe something got messed up when i put in the pots and all the "guts," but i was asking first just to see if anyone already knew the problem or what i should be looking for when i do open it back up. These are the first EMGs that i have had, but i am not a noob to passive equipment or guitar mods. so if anyone has any thoughts, let me know. thnx
<JimmyPage5290>
Gibson Les Paul Smartwood, and Trogdor (Custom guitar build)> Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde> DigiTech Distortion Factory> Dimebag CryBaby >Fender Hotrod Deville 212
Battery connected? cos the whole idea with active pickups is that they're low output that's EQed and boosted....can't do that without the battery
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I'm guessing you know EMGs use batteries right?
If you haven't, check if they are flat or not. and replace if necessary(remember, recharable ones arnt that good)

secondly, are you sure the battery is connected in the right place in the circuit?

check the wiring diagrams on the EMG site.
ya, i know they use bateries... they work allright and tonewise sound good, but they are just quiet, i havent checked the wires yet (been pretty busy) but i'll look for weak connections and i'll try another battery... i was just wondering if anybody new exactly what it was before i opened the guitar back up...
<JimmyPage5290>
Gibson Les Paul Smartwood, and Trogdor (Custom guitar build)> Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde> DigiTech Distortion Factory> Dimebag CryBaby >Fender Hotrod Deville 212
Have you checked that the hot output and ground wire are connected to the correct spots on the output jack? (Like maybe they're the wrong way round) I had this problem when I was installing a pickup myself.