What do you mean?

It won't sound the same.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

in repsonse to the aboce post, not completely. the sound is more influenced by the scale length than the pickup type. it would sound somewhat thinner/cleaner/brighter depending on the pickup itself, but it would still be identifiably a lp. neal youngs lp has a p90 in the neck position. all early lps had two p90s.
Yes, you can see them on the gibson website.

I'm trying to see the difference between the different pickups. Like what genre's they'd fit in mostly. Like what would p90's be best for, Classic 57's, burstbuckers, etc, etc.

I'm looking for a bluesy, jazzy, funk rock sound, but with the ability to do a little not that heavy rock as well. I guess a nice balanced set of pickups, or combination.
Last edited by Symphonic Waves at Mar 13, 2007,
Those don't sound like real P-90's. Seymour Duncan's phat cats don't have as much mids as a real P-90. I'd wager it's almost the same for Gibson's models, just because it's the exact same bobbin shape. That's why P-90's sounded different han Strat single coils in the first place, because the bobbin shape shape changed, changing the inductance and the overall tone of the pickup.

Gibson pickups are overpriced, IMO.
Well, a lot of people like their sound, the Phat Cats, I mean. It's just that if you're looking for a replica of P-90 tone, you won't find it there.

Personally, I think a PAF-voiced humbucker will do the tones you're looking for.

Anf id you meant alternatives as in brands, a popular place people on UG buy from is guitarfetish.com.
Dimarzio is a major after market pickup manufacture. Dimarzio.com
I'm a fan of Seymour Duncan. I can recommend you a set from there. SeymourDuncan.com.

This is all assuming you live in the US.
Seymour Duncan wise?

I'd say an Alnico II Pro in the neck, and a Pearly Gates in the bridge.
The Alnico Pro is a great smooth pickup, and if you roll down your tone knob, you'll get a nice warm tone that's perfect for Jazz. The Pearly Gates is a real rude Texas Blues kinda pickup.
As far as funk, it's to my understanding that much of the funk sound comes from your technique, but those pickups will be able to do it.
Yea funk is more how you play. Would those pickups be decent for having a kinda crunchy sound as well?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Those don't sound like real P-90's. Seymour Duncan's phat cats don't have as much mids as a real P-90. I'd wager it's almost the same for Gibson's models, just because it's the exact same bobbin shape. That's why P-90's sounded different han Strat single coils in the first place, because the bobbin shape shape changed, changing the inductance and the overall tone of the pickup.

Gibson pickups are overpriced, IMO.

You can get ALOT of different humbucker sized p-90s. You can get custom wound pickups that are very close, if not identical, to p-90s for a price.

On another note..

I prefer high output pickups in a Les Paul. they just seem to balance out the bassy/muddy tone when having the coils split.