Curious as to what people's opinions are on the best practice strategy. Presently, I am able to work in an hour a day. For me this seems best. Anything less doesn't really seem to be enough but too much more tends to fatigue me mentally. Things kind of reach a point of diminishing returns and I start practicing worse when that happens. Anyway, just wondering what your thoughts are on the best way to spend this time. I usually try to break it down to 20 minutes on chords, 20 minutes on scales and fingering, and the final 20 minutes on whatever songs I'm trying to learn. Does this sound like a good strategy? Should it produce good returns? What works best for you?

Thanks.
Wow, I never thought of practicing like that, I just play from the heart.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
wat the hell is practice. lol

i best learn from learning/playing songs. that's it. none of that scale/chord practice crap.

well of course i gotta kno that. but i don't practice them as much as songs.

like that one guy said, play from the heart
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

Quote by Jetty
wat the hell is practice. lol

i best learn from learning/playing songs. that's it. none of that scale/chord practice crap.

well of course i gotta kno that. but i don't practice them as much as songs.

like that one guy said, play from the heart

that all depends on how good you really want to be at guitar. you realize that working on scales, chords, theory, and fingering is what will allow you to be able to play songs. instead of spending hours working on a song... spend hours working on the fundamentals of playing. then whenever you go to learn that new song, you'll pick it up really quickly. it's a better investment of time.

threadstarter... that is an excellent practice regiment. i know that you are very very new to playing because i recall one of your other recent threads. regardless of what anyone else says, it is important to spend time working on just playing chords at your level and it's really great that you're getting into some simple scales and such already as well. "play from the heart" -- whatever the heck that is... i imagine that's what you are doing in your last 20 minute section keep up your current regiment and you will see results!
Quote by purplegreendave
20mins @ practising chords...
no

just no

If he's new at playing, chords are quite important to practise a lot.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by purplegreendave
20mins @ practising chords...
no

just no

hey when I started out I spent 3 hours just practicing chord after chord.