How power amps and pre amps are used?

and like just basic amp stuff. I already know how cabs work but im trying to learn more about rack/rack effects.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
well, when you plug your guitar into an amplifier, it goes directly into the preamp, generating the vast majority of your tone.
If there is an effects loop w/ things in it (pedals, other effects) the signal is sent there then back into the poweramp.
A poweramp of a tube and SS amp are different in the fact that depending on the tube and how much the tubes are being driven, (ie volume) they can add more crunch (usually not that much more). Poweramp tubes also generate what is called presence, an EQ kinda thing that the best way that I can decribe it is punch and definition.
An SS amp does not do those 2 things.
After the poweramp, if your amp has a reverb circuit, (SS or tube-driven), the signal goes through that then through the cable, into the cab, and out the speakers.

VOILA!! (sp?)
POOP
My Rig:(left out some stuff)
Peavey 6505 and Marshall 1960B cab
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Tuner Super Chorus
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread
Thanks so much man I'v been looking into more gear because I'm getting serious about music/song writing.

If anyone would like to add to that please do.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by robsta_65
well, when you plug your guitar into an amplifier, it goes directly into the preamp, generating the vast majority of your tone.
If there is an effects loop w/ things in it (pedals, other effects) the signal is sent there then back into the poweramp.
A poweramp of a tube and SS amp are different in the fact that depending on the tube and how much the tubes are being driven, (ie volume) they can add more crunch (usually not that much more). Poweramp tubes also generate what is called presence, an EQ kinda thing that the best way that I can decribe it is punch and definition.
An SS amp does not do those 2 things.
After the poweramp, if your amp has a reverb circuit, (SS or tube-driven), the signal goes through that then through the cable, into the cab, and out the speakers.

VOILA!! (sp?)

learn somethin new every day. I thought reverb took place in the pre-amp
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
^lots of people do. but if you think about it, a reverbed guitar signal that is then being tonally enhanced would sound like balls.
POOP
My Rig:(left out some stuff)
Peavey 6505 and Marshall 1960B cab
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Tuner Super Chorus
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread