suggestions on an amp that can get good classic rock,alternative,metal tones with atleast playable cleans i was thinking mesa but i have no clue what kind i have no experience with those amps any suggestions are appreciated
price range is the most important detail, but what you currently have would also help as well as weather you are going to practice with it or gig etc.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
well price id like to keep it under 2 grand i will be playing shows with this amp as for sounds if i had to specify a certain tone for classic rock itd prolly be like the who, led zep,hendrix,ac/dc also id like to get as close as possible to a creedence clearwater revival tone i like it alot.... alternativeish tones nirvana especially ,foo fighters new Mcr and hard rock/ metal like Gn'R metallica,pantera ,old Ax7, velvet revolver and another thing is like blues and such like real slight overdrive

my gear right now is an epiphone sg which i will prolly replace before i get my amp but im more of a humucker type guy so yeah i also have an assorted crap load of pedals so it needs to takepedals well
Orange Rocker 50 and maybe an OD for a boost for the heavier stuff...also maybe try the Hughes and Kettner Triamp, very very versatile amp
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Well for two grand you could almost buy two amps used - for the low gain classic stuff I would suggest an Orange - for the more higher gain stuff some sort of Marshall possibly a JCM800 which would handle GNR and Velvet Revolver perfectly, and still perform admirably for MCR Foo Fighters, and Nirvanna. Well not sure about the last one. The problem is, is that there is a considerable overlap in tones by the two amps - you're really trying to pack a lot of tones.

Personally if I were you and on a budget I would go for the JCM800 and squeeze the other tones out of it. It won't sound exactly like some of the bands you listed - but it definitely will not sound like trash and you will have your own unique when playing say a cover of one of those bands. (Sorry Jinskee - I know you would have gone for the Orange ) It is just I don't think the Orange can do anything high gain - whilst the JCM800 can do low gain as well as higher gain. Also a Mark IV packs a huge variety of tones, so you might want to look at that as well.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Actually the more i think about it the more i think the Hughes and Kettner would be suited to you, try one out if you can

EDIT: heres a link http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?id=1&mode=prod
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90