Im talking the real deal, 60's fenders, Vox's, marshalls..... silvertones, harmony, gibsons.... etc..... even gretsch....

what do you guys think..... If bands from now play old amp it almost always seems to be fenders, i'd kinda like to play on something new.... i heard a rumor jack white plays old silvertones....

Just looking for opinions, i just play on my fender blues junior right now, with a american standard strat... Looking to upgrade amps, and really want to get a vintage amp.

NO RE ISSUE Talk
For $1000? Save your money. There are great new amps out there for that much. A good vintage amp will be a lot more.
I think for a bit more money you can get an Orange. Those nail 60's British stuff.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
....the point isnt a new amp man...

And there are plenty of vintage 60's amps on ebay for under 1000.... id be willing to spend more for a banger, and like i said, its mainly fenders that everyone wants... i want to try something different.

60's orange huh... ill keep that in mind. Im looking for something a bit more powerful then what im using now. im thinking 30watt at least.

And hey, if i have to save 2 grand.... let the savings begin.
Mmm...I don't think Orange amps were made until the 70's...

You can try find yourself a metamp...those were the old oranges back in the day (I guess you could say) Or maybe a custom orange amp *shrugs*

I get what you're saying though, you just want a vintage amp...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
My vote is (no big surprise) an early-70's Ampeg V4 (head), VT-40 (combo) or VT-22 (can be combos or heads). Great amps with a versatile EQ section, tons of volume and low-end capability and clean sounds that rival any Fender, and they take pedals really well. They're voiced a bit differently from a Fender, a little darker and, to my ears, more ballsy. The best part is they are usually very inexpensive on Ebay, generally in the $500 neighborhood. For a good example of what they sound like, check out the Stones Sticky Fingers. Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age swears by these amps.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Sunn Amps. Thats all I got to say. check ebay.

EDIT: Matamps and oranges were effectively the same company in the late 60's early 70's. Also, matamps are still made, to a very high standard of quality.
Last edited by Food_for_funk at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by Food_for_funk
Sunn Amps. Thats all I got to say. check ebay.

EDIT: Matamps and oranges were effectively the same company in the late 60's early 70's. Also, matamps are still made, to a very high standard of quality.

Oh, they're still made? O_O?

How much are they? 5k USD?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I bought myself a Silvertone 1482. Under $300, and it's a great amp. Probably about the same wattage as a Blues Jr., maybe a little more, but what a voice on this thing! If you're looking for something bigger, the 1484 is probably 50W, comes as a head that you can probably get for under $500. The halfstack'll probably be the full grand if it's in good shape.

Magnatone is another amp to look at, especially if you like tremolo. Very unique sounding amps. Anything by Valco is gonna get up there in price.

Ideally, you just want to scour your local classifieds, Craig's List, garage sales and flea markets, and find a deal. On eBay, your bidding against other people who collect this stuff and know what it's worth. privately, you can come across deals like the one I got on my Premier 45 ($10! woo-hoo!).
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Buy a vintage Fender Bassman, they're not that expensive.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Check out silvertone for sure. They were made rather cheaply, but that isn't to say it isn't quality. THey made a copy somewhat of the marshall 1974(made in 66-68), an 18 watt with tremolo, but it handles vocals as well!. check for one of those, there's a thread somewhere with one in it.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
Check out silvertone for sure. They were made rather cheaply, but that isn't to say it isn't quality. THey made a copy somewhat of the marshall 1974(made in 66-68), an 18 watt with tremolo, but it handles vocals as well!. check for one of those, there's a thread somewhere with one in it.

That sounds like mine!

The cheap fiberboard that originally held the speaker's been replaced with plywood.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
AHHH soo many options, yeah silvertone was my original idea.... i guess ill still with that. Ill look into the 1484.... I just want something vintage that will blow my blues junior out of the water. Definently gonna look for the half stack, sounds real nice.
Quote by R_H_C_P
Buy a vintage Fender Bassman, they're not that expensive.

+1

i ran into one this weekend for 800 dollars, i believe that was also with the 2x15 cab.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
of course, i agree with matt on this one. there are also a couple of newer amps with that sound (like the Ampeg Reverberocket or MusicMan HD130), but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.
Couple nice Silvertone 1484 Twin Twelves, complete with cabs, on US eBay right now.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.