Im upgrading my bridge and neck pickups. I really like what I've heard about the Dimarzio tonezone but thats just from ads and stuff from Paul Gilbert. Anyway, what are your thoughts on the tonezone? I play everything from heavy metal to blues and clean stuff. I play lead so the pickup needs to stand out. No active pickups please. So, thoughts on the tonezone, thoughts on other pickups, no actives.
not good for metal. not good for clean. amazing for classic rock. i have this is in the bridge of my custom neckthru strat thingy that i recently built and i really enjoy it. i have seymour duncan lipstic tube single coils that do well for cleaning up or for more jangly overdriven stuff, but when i want to sound like jimmy page or angus young, i switch to my tonezone in the bridge. it has a very weird sound. not like a normal humbucker. i hate how it sounds clean. doesnt sound to bad with extreme metal distortion, but it does heavy blues and classick rock wonderfuly.
Dimarzio Norton is your best bet, the Tone Zone is great at some things but just sounds downright wrong doing others. Or a Breed if you want more of your punch to come from the lower mids.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Would they be good for Iron Maiden and Van Halen?
I know that's classed as metal but the sound is that of Classic Rock
I'd say the Norton or Breed again for those styles, depeding on the guitar and amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

or steve's special..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

I'd have to disagree with most of the things said here so far....

I run a Tone Zone in the bridge of my RG, and it is very versatile through my Dual Rectifier....anything from nice cleans to high gain leads.

As for the neck, I use an Air Norton, and the combo is amazing. I highly recommend it.
I've listened to a lot of the samples they give using the tonezone and it sounds pretty good for metal from what I've heard on the site. In fact there aren't many classic rock samples of it at all.
i'm not going off of samples. im going off the fact that iatualy own them and play with them.
Me too, although going on ibanez4life's comments it looks like everybody hears different things in it. One things for sure though, the sound clips on Dimarzio's site don't mean crap. Thinking about it I'd imagine it'd suit a Recto pretty well, it seems optimised for those kind of smooth, saturated lead tones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

The ToneZone (I think) was based on the pickups EVH used in his Charvel, so they should be able to nail that tone, provided you have an amp that will do that.

Personally I'm a big fan of the D-sonic lately but the Breed and Steve's Special would both work for metal.

Also...

Duncan Custom 5/Custom Custom/JB
Bill Lawrence L500xl
Anderson H2/H3
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.