I play lead guitar in a band and well I was feeling really good about my music but I just can't get that Metal sound I want. I am a very respected guitarist at my school and all and sometimes I feel over-rated and stuff so I need to reinvent my sound. My Line 6 Amp (I know these amps are frowned upon in this forum, but I still love them) gives me some cool effects but I want a great distortion pedal that can give me the metal sound of bands like King Diamond, Iced Earth, Megadeth, Children of Bodom and Metallica (Ride the Lightning Era). All help will be gladly appreciated.
Last edited by Scarchest at Mar 14, 2007,
Look into a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. Several people I know swear by them, and I've had mine going on 6 years now and never needed anything else.
Signatures are overrated.
Thanks and that will give me the sound of all the great metal bands pretty much?
^several people preach every day that any pedal with the name "metal" in it is utter crap

i tend to agree with those people

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by seanie!
Look into a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. Several people I know swear by them, and I've had mine going on 6 years now and never needed anything else.

yep one of the best but i have a digitech distortion factorey and it models that pedal plus 6 more legendery distointion pedals like

ibanez tube screamer or the boss overdrive
Gear
Jackson Dinky (Yeah)
Crate Flexwave 120 Head (Yeah)
Randall RX412 (Yeah)
I hear most overdrive pedals are a little thin on the distortion you should probally go for a metal zone or something.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Quote by seanie!

holy shit, i have that one, it's great man, never fails!!
My friend suggest the Metal Muff bass pedal which he said works wonders with guitar but I will take you guys advice but I am digging the whole Distortion Factory concept...

I need to just live at Sam Ash for like a year and try out everthing.
do NOT get the distortion factory. ive played many digitech pedals, and none of them have sounded good to me. the distortion factory is no exception.

the mt-2 metal zone and the EHX metal muff will do you well. i have the mt-2, and i can get some great metal tones out of it.

Dinobot of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Quote by Stephen Colbert
Now the obvious question here is...

Who's fucking the ponies?

Quote by drop-dead666
Get.. Like he suggested, P-90's. Or you can just buy a hello kitty guitar.
I've never heard a bad thing about the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff although I've heard from hundreds of people that the Metal Zone is complete and udder crap. (Also take notice that all the people praising the Metal Zone have Nirvana avatars.)

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Electro Harmonix metal muff

if thats the sorta thing you're looking for....

I know its more described as a fuzz pedal, but yeah a lot of people seem to say its closer to distortion than fuzz
I'm a digitech fan myself; I reccomend the 'Metal Master' or 'Death Metal' pedal/s. U can hear demos from the digitech site.

MVL.
Probably a Metal Muff.

But, I feel I should point out that if you're running into a Spider or pretty much any modelling amp, pedals generally sound utter arse with them. So make sure you try it in the shop with the same amp you use before buying.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^ theres no such. theyre just bigger.

i dont like the metal muff anymore.

its not even near a fuzz, i just dont like it.

dont get an OD either. theyre not "thin" but they sure as hell arent for metal.
Then suggest a good new amp for me? I do like the little features the Line 6 offers me though.
maybe try a vox valetronix
has a buttload of effects
and is a little closer to a tube amp
and a pretty good amp

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I want something that is not too expensive that can do metal but I want alot of wattage. Like in the 500-700 dollar price range.
Quote by Scarchest
I want something that is not too expensive that can do metal but I want alot of wattage. Like in the 500-700 dollar price range.

Whoa, you went from wanting a pedal to a $500-700 amp? I don't like Line 6 amps either but if you really like yours then keep it. No need to replace gear you're satisfied with. You should tweak your amp's built in settings rather than spend more money.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Actually, my present amp is kind of dieing. I love it but I am getting way too much feedback. I was hopeing it was going to last a bit longer but it has been sometime. I am feeling this amp however and it comes with a footswitch too for the built in affects.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CRAGLX212

Opinions?
Here are my picks for Distortion amplifiers...

Great choice is Ampeg SS series, or VH series. Older amps, you have to look for them used, and their distortion is gut wrenching. they come in 70 watt and 140 watts. you can find them for under 500 bucks i believe.

Roland cube series, line 6 stuff, Crate Stuff = I tried all these brands out for the 30-60 watt range, multiple times. I definetely liked the roland cube the best, by far. If you can, try and test them out back to back.

I ended up finding an Ampeg SS-70 used, bought it, and love it.

also, another good forum to look at is at metaltabs.com.
:|

i can see your going for wattage over sound.

dont.

you dont necessarly need f!ckloads of sound. you just need good tone. i got my blues junior cos i like the sound, and ill be getting a cab anyway.

as long as you get over the drums, your good.

get a tube amp, not an SS.
Quote by Chinomaster182
No, not Valvetronix for metal.

Roland Cube, much better for metal.

Word.

But for pedals, I have heard a lot of good things about the Metal Muff, and a lot of bad about the Metal Zone.
My advice (and quickly becoming my most used phrase) is to go to a guitar store and try out the amps and pedals in your price range, to see what you like best.
I suggest you look into B-52 amps, those are very high gain with high wattage, as well as affordable.

As for a pedal, the only distortion pedal worth purchasing is probably the metal muff with top boost.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Scarchest
I play lead guitar in a band and well I was feeling really good about my music but I just can't get that Metal sound I want. I am a very respected guitarist at my school and all and sometimes I feel over-rated and stuff so I need to reinvent my sound. My Line 6 Amp (I know these amps are frowned upon in this forum, but I still love them) gives me some cool effects but I want a great distortion pedal that can give me the metal sound of bands like King Diamond, Iced Earth, Megadeth, Children of Bodom and Metallica (Ride the Lightning Era). All help will be gladly appreciated.

Lots of people I know swear by the Boss Metal Zone, so I'd go with that.

However, as an alternatvie (and i'm not sure if this is cheaper) I found a killer tone out of a Boss DS-1 and DS-2 while running them at a same time, through a crate amp (which sucked clean). I was using a standard MIM telecaster (probably the most un-metal guitar ever) and was able to play stuff like Slipknot and Cannibal Corpse.

Or, try an Ibanez Tubescreamer. They sound great.
The ds-1 cannot do metal with any sc guitar, unless boosted with a TS (thank you very much ). you must of played a magic ds-1. or a humbucking tele.
Quote by Arlabester
The ds-1 cannot do metal with any sc guitar, unless boosted with a TS (thank you very much ). you must of played a magic ds-1. or a humbucking tele.

He ran a DS-1 and a DS-2 together.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Quote by Scarchest
Thanks and that will give me the sound of all the great metal bands pretty much?

No. The MT-2 is cold and lifeless, don't touch it with a ten foot pole.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i used to own a metalzone before,i thought it sounded ok. And then my 5150 came along and gave my ears a reboot. I gave the MT2 to my cousin who just started guitar. He hates it compared to my 5150 distortion

anyway with $500-$700 you can get a decent tube amp or quite a good solid state, most bands that you stated arent using over the top gain, so i guess a used jcm would it alright. Im not very familiar with Randalls, but i heard they make pretty good SS amps. Dimebag used em at some point.

I would advice agaisnt getting a stompbox distortion, its not gonna work very well with the spider amp
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers