Page 1 of 2
Recommend me some good movies. I've been watching a lot of really powerful movies for the first time lately (American History X, Garden State, Donnie Darko), but I can't think of any other movies that I should check out. Suggestions would be appreciated, and I'd prefer it to be within the last ten years-ish (I've watch MANY older classics, I'd like to start appreciating modern cinema again) and not movies that are REALLY well known (no the Godfather LOL!).
American History X (of course), Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange (Kubrick rules), Taxi Driver, and many more. Hell, I'll say 300 because of it's pure awesomeness.
666 BRO
apocalypse now (which is older) thx1138 (which is older) Magnolia, Meet Joe Black, Schindlers List, Swing Kids and ill think of more later.

oh yeah and another older one Star Trek: the Wrath of Kahn, I almost cried at the end of that one.

More

star Trek II: the Wrath of Kahn, the Professional, Powder, Blow, Trainspotting, Kids, Gummo, Bakdoor sluts 9, Saving Private Ryan, and yeah thats all i can think of.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 14, 2007,
dun watch shindlers list, unless ur a sucker, shawshank redemption, the believer (ryan gosling) meh can't think of nemore atm
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Here are some great ones.

1. cellomaster=racist

2. cellomaster=homophobic

3. cellomaster=cunt.

'Nuff said, prick.
Quote by 'Raven'
is it a chihuahua? hide it in your pants and pretend its a boner!!!
Downfall

It's amazing... Made me cry...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Shawshank Redemption, Braveheart, Seven Samurai, Downfall, Requiem For A Dream, Brokeback Mountain, and Hollywoodland are all pretty moving.
Crash, 300, Shawshank Redemption, Schindlers List, (Any 9/11 movie...)
RIG

Marshall MG 50DFX
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standered
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Yamaha APX5A
RP 350
Kung Pow: Enter The Fist!
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
"Equilibrium" and "V for Vendetta."

EDIT: "Braveheart" and "Gladiator" may be worth a try as well.
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Mar 14, 2007,
Thank you all for your suggestions, I've seen most of those movies though so are there any really abstract or quirky ones that aren't usually mentioned?

To Kid Thorazine: Gummo looks interesting I might watch it.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
apocalypse now (which is older) thx1138 (which is older) Magnolia, Meet Joe Black, Schindlers List, Swing Kids and ill think of more later.

oh yeah and another older one Star Trek: the Wrath of Kahn, I almost cried at the end of that one.

More

star Trek II: the Wrath of Kahn, the Professional, Powder, Blow, Trainspotting, Kids, Gummo, Bakdoor sluts 9, Saving Private Ryan, and yeah thats all i can think of.

i seriously love you... you have no idea how long i have been looking for then name of that movie gummo...

YOU FU$KING ROCK
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
The most recent movie for me was Running With Scissors. Seriously, If you havent seen it you should.

If you have seen it, this scene almost made me cry from the pure beauty of the film making.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbwcw-N-_Bo&mode=related&search=
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Quintessence153
"Equilibrium" and "V for Vendetta."

EDIT: "Braveheart" and "Gladiator" may be worth a try as well.

awesome movie
Some Guy?
Quote by NGD1313
Recommend me some good movies. I've been watching a lot of really powerful movies for the first time lately (American History X, Garden State, Donnie Darko), but I can't think of any other movies that I should check out. Suggestions would be appreciated, and I'd prefer it to be within the last ten years-ish (I've watch MANY older classics, I'd like to start appreciating modern cinema again) and not movies that are REALLY well known (no the Godfather LOL!).

Fuck fuck FUCK! Before I even opened this thread I knew someone would say the Holy trilogy of Emo/Hipster Movies.

I get sick of most movie recommendation threads, because all recommendations start and end with Fight Club, Garden State, Donnie Darko, and American History X. First off, I'm confused that you would even call Donnie Darko and Garden State "powerful" films. Cute and quirky, yes.

Having said that, here are my "recommendations" I suppose:

Boogie Nights, Goodfellas, Gangs of New York, The Color Purple (yeah, I know...), Bad Education, The Motorcycle Diaries, Boys Don't Cry, Magnolia, Kids, Trainspotting, Taxi Driver, City of God, Y Tu Mamma Tambien, Talk To Her, Lost In Translation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Brokeback Mountain, The Squid and the Whale, Punch Drunk Love, The Professional, Babel, Kalifornia.

Tried to keep on the theme of powerful movies....
Poor advice.
The Departed?
Advent Children
Cowboy Bepop: The Movie
Apocalyptico (sp?)
The Guardian

I have seen some really powerful movies (if you don't count the ones I listed as powerful) but I can't think of any right now...
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
For me it has to be the Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan and the Green Mile. Though you've most likely seen them.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Fuck fuck FUCK! Before I even opened this thread I knew someone would say the Holy trilogy of Emo/Hipster Movies.

I get sick of most movie recommendation threads, because all recommendations start and end with Fight Club, Garden State, Donnie Darko, and American History X. First off, I'm confused that you would even call Donnie Darko and Garden State "powerful" films. Cute and quirky, yes.

Having said that, here are my "recommendations" I suppose:

Boogie Nights, Goodfellas, Gangs of New York, The Color Purple (yeah, I know...), Bad Education, The Motorcycle Diaries, Boys Don't Cry, Magnolia, Kids, Trainspotting, Taxi Driver, City of God, Y Tu Mamma Tambien, Talk To Her, Lost In Translation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Brokeback Mountain, The Squid and the Whale, Punch Drunk Love, The Professional, Babel, Kalifornia.

Tried to keep on the theme of powerful movies....

Of course someone would say the trilogy of emo/hipster movies, however having listed them in the first post because they happen to be some of the most mentioned movies on here, I managed to neutralize having the same three movies suggested to me over and over again. You see the logic there? Donnie Darko may be cute and quirky I'll agree but I found Garden State pretty moving but that's just my opinion. Anyway, I know you're a big movie buff, so I'll look into your suggestions thank you.
A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints! Awesome film, seriously. I recommend it quite heavily. Watch it now! You will be moved unless you have a heart of stone. It's based on a true story (as it says in the end credits) and I've met the director and he assured me most of it was true (he showed me the scars). Seriously awesome film. Watch it now!
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
I am sam.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Click or The Pursuit Of Happiness
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Too late for me to join, but I would totally give one out-

Irreversable, truly, this movie was so shocking to me, from the minute it begun i could not release from it's grip..
...And The Nominees Are
A Beautiful Mind, I don't know if it's like a Powerful/Moving movie but it was really good.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
John Q - Denzel Washington is absolutely amazing in that movie.

The Departed - Not really powerful or moving, it just kicks a serious amount of ass.
big money hustlas
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Here are some great ones.

1. cellomaster=racist

2. cellomaster=homophobic

3. cellomaster=cunt.

'Nuff said, prick.
Quote by 'Raven'
is it a chihuahua? hide it in your pants and pretend its a boner!!!
Already been mentioned but definitely worth a second or even third vote would be Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind. Best movie ive seen in a while and by far jim carrey's best ever work.
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
Screw emo jokes, what has 6 arms, 6 legs, and 2 heads?

Nirvana.

Member Of The 'Proud Owner Of An Ibanez' Club

www.myspace.com/woody_851
also worth a mention i believe are boyz n the hood and menace II society...I think so at least and i enjoy them
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
Screw emo jokes, what has 6 arms, 6 legs, and 2 heads?

Nirvana.

Member Of The 'Proud Owner Of An Ibanez' Club

www.myspace.com/woody_851
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's
Click or The Pursuit Of Happiness

I second Pursuit of Happyness. Will Smith's son is actually really good in this.
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
Dawn of the Dead (original) if you liked the consumerism(sp) aspect of Fight Club.
The Pianist. I cried.
V for Vendetta.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Bakdoor sluts 9
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Shawshank Redemption, Requiem for a Dream, and American History X
Quote by Dr Grinwraith

heh i'v had chest hair since i was 11

Quote by LilVikingboy
Unless you are Robin Williams I find that extremely hard to believe.

Was your mom a wolf?

Member of the "Shoop da Whoop club" PM me to join
O _0
/###############
|###############
\###############
Antwone Fisher.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Mullholland Drive.
Seriously if you don't like it blast yourself.

I thought Schindlers was good but overrated.
Yeah...some guy mentioned the Pianist. Also, Hotel Rwanda was a good one.
Page 1 of 2