Every body says that Fender amps are the best clean sounding amps. Marshall's are good for the deeper sound. I hear these stereo-types but could you take a fender twin reverb with a clean sound, and put the "best" distortion pedal to it to get a powerful, deep Marshall like sound out of it?

Does that seem to make any sense? Or am i just too much of a newbie to actually think that i can make amps to sound the way i want? Because...if that's the case...then...why not get a good fender and then just adjust it to get a harsh, deep sound? I mean get the cleanest...clean...out there....and adjust it according to your liking??? (maybe?)
It will never sound exactly the same. Otherwise people would do it already and there would be no mesa and marshall amps.

Pedals suck too. Why not just get the amp with the sound you want and then you have one less thing to screw with.
no. thats why there will always be marshall and fender. you cant get one to sound like the other.
that's why you just buy both then switch between the two for clean/distortion. unfortunately that costs a bit of money.
Oh Shit!
I guess I would want the marshall sound more because I'm really into metal and hard core rock. And I mean...how much of a difference is there between a fender clean sound and marshall's? I just don't want to buy an amp and then regret it in about a year or two. Because I know I wouldn't have $1000 from time to time to just burn u know? (Don't get me wrong....it's really GOOD burning...but still!)

Did you guys try out those two amps? Which are your fav's? Which do you prefer?
I disagree with the "pedals suck" blanket statement. You absolutely can play metal with a good Fender and the right pedals, and it's alot of fun experimenting with them to find the sounds you want. You may be a noob, but starting off with a good strong clean amp and building your sound around it using pedals and other outboard gear is a very solid idea.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by AGL23
Every body says that Fender amps are the best clean sounding amps. Marshall's are good for the deeper sound. I hear these stereo-types but could you take a fender twin reverb with a clean sound, and put the "best" distortion pedal to it to get a powerful, deep Marshall like sound out of it?

Does that seem to make any sense? Or am i just too much of a newbie to actually think that i can make amps to sound the way i want? Because...if that's the case...then...why not get a good fender and then just adjust it to get a harsh, deep sound? I mean get the cleanest...clean...out there....and adjust it according to your liking??? (maybe?)

The kinda thinking that something is best for something isn't true, because whether you think something sounds good is subjective. Each amp has its own particular sound, which you will get familiar with in due course.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by avalanche930
no. thats why there will always be marshall and fender. you cant get one to sound like the other.

I respectfully disagree. With the right pedals you can get a really great clean amp to sound like anything, but there's simply no way to get a great clean out of an amp that doesn't have one.

Just an FYI, I was a "tube-amp distortion or nothing" guy for over a decade but I've changed my position. Mesa and Marshall have done a masterful job of convincing people that they have to spend $1500-$2000 to get a good heavy sound but it's just not true. I've owned a JCM800, JCM2000, Dual-Rect (well, I borrowed one for like 9 months), Stiletto and a Framus Cobra, among others over the years, and my tone search ended not with the pricey Cobra as I expected, but with an old, modded Ampeg from the 70's that cost me all of $500. This amp doesn't even have any built-in distortion but it smokes every amp I've previously played, and I can get any kind of sound I need out of it using pedals or even my $300 PODxtLive. Sounds goofy, I know, but I can't argue with my own ears.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
IMHO, a distortion/OD pedal sounds empty and lost in the big cleans of a Fender Twin. Looking at Fender's and Marshalls, you're really looking at amps that have a very distinct sound, and aren't really very versatile from there.

For more versatility, you could take that $1000 and look into the Vox AC30 (simple amp, nice cleans, warm OD), Mesa F- or Express series, or a used Rivera (switchable from nice cleans to heavier OD).
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Oh man.....i hate the answer: it's all subjective. But i guess it is!!! (SO frustrating) I guess I just have to be patient with all this, and try out different sounds. I just don't want to think that i need to go from store to store trying about tones of amps (although that does bring a smile to my face).

Anyways, i went to L&M today and tried out the Marshall AVT50X. HOLY CRAP! I didn't get to try it very loud, but comparing to what I have now....Marshall MG10....the AVT kicked some serious butt! The sound was almost bubbly (if you know what I mean). I don't feel like an amp virgin anymore! It was great! I should have a try at the fenders too but they seem more expensive. But wow! I'm still amazed at it. Anyways, i think i went on about this too long already. thanks guys...
i would look at other amps, AVT's are okay, but are extremely overpirced, play a nice all tube amp and then see what you want.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
i would look at other amps, AVT's are okay, but are extremely overpirced, play a nice all tube amp and then see what you want.

Overpriced?? The AVT50 was about $530 CDN (plus tax)...it should come to around...600ish? Well....for a 50Watt hybrid amp is that overpriced? Could I possibly get a rock sound, all tube amp for that price? I mean...something decent? I think that the AVT was decent....well...it sounded really good. Any suggestions? I was looking at the fender prices...HOLY CRAP! I don't think I can afford that!
What, like to put your weed in? Yes, I think that's a great use. I've been stashing my smoke in amps since the 80's, it's a place a mom or gf or wife would never think to look.
i also tend to keep stuff in mine, just make sure not to play with it in there if its a tube amp, ive almost melted my tuner once when i left it in my amp.....

by the way fatgraymatt, i looked at the pic of ur gear and i almost shit my pants, ur rig is awesome! definitely liking that ampeg!
MY RIG!
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Stratocaster standard
Fender Toronado GT HH
Boss OS-2
BBE Sonic Maximizer

Member #31 of the Fender Armada!
Member #2 of the UG Blues Jr. Owners Club!
Quote by TheDev01dOne
It will never sound exactly the same. Otherwise people would do it already and there would be no mesa and marshall amps.

Pedals suck too. Why not just get the amp with the sound you want and then you have one less thing to screw with.

wadya mean pedals suck??? you need them more than an amp if you play live or record and obviously dont do eitha

fender tend to be a tad louder for their size and marshall amps arent really that bassy when you think you can just turn the treble up a little bit...........
whao dude...
Epiphone 335 Dot
Fender FM65R
EHX Big Muff
Boss Digidelay
Boss OD

AND I DONT LIKE NIRVANA THAT MUCH ITS JUST A COOL ANIMATION!!!
Quote by fatgraymatt
What, like to put your weed in? Yes, I think that's a great use. I've been stashing my smoke in amps since the 80's, it's a place a mom or gf or wife would never think to look.

or border patrol............I NEVER DONE IT!!!
whao dude...
Epiphone 335 Dot
Fender FM65R
EHX Big Muff
Boss Digidelay
Boss OD

AND I DONT LIKE NIRVANA THAT MUCH ITS JUST A COOL ANIMATION!!!
they're different amps. they sound different.

best bet is always and ENGL powerball.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by fatgraymatt

Too funny!

I had a few grand stashed in the bottom of my Concert's case for months, in hiding as I go thru the pleasure of a divorce. It's all with my attorney, now, though.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Shame.

you have my sentiments.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
Shame.

you have my sentiments.

I'm a little bummed about the cash, but I figure I'll cheer up once I'm short a wife, too.

Thanks, though!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.