Morning all, after various emails back and too to Jon at Swineshead i finally got my venoms fitted correctly last night.

Theyre really good, just not quite what i was expecting - most of the switch positions have a clean sound to them, theres only really one ( Neck pos. ) thats got any meat to it.

Considering im a relative beginner and the stock pickups on my Ibanez RG321MH were a bit faulty - will i really only notice how good the pickups are after i get better at playing and develop my ear so to speak?

At the end of the day i was playing some cool Cream stuff so it definately plays the style of music i like.

Am i right in thinking that its more the amp ( Roland Cube 30 ) that gives you the screaming highs and muddy distortion when its needed for certain songs - as opposed to the pickups sounding like that all the time?

Thanks

Adam
Also forgot to ask - the sound bytes for the Venoms on their website.

What songs are they from or are they just made-up riffs?

They sound really nice, especially the clean one. Although i suppose they used a really expensive guitar / amp combo when recording them.

Adam
They won't sound all that good if you're playing at fairly low volumes, but that's a given for pretty much any guitar rig. However, make sure you've got everything EQ'd properly, having said that modelling amps aren't as sensitive to pickup differences so you'd probably notice more improvement through a better amp, although I'd have thought a cube was pretty good at screaming and distortion for what it is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hi mate, thanks for the advice.

When you say make sure everythings EQ'd - i presume you mean on the amp?

What settings would be acceptable for example clean / metal etc

I dont really use the tremolo / flanger effects much but i use the different Amp models, mostly the Metal and R-fier ones.

Does the height of the Humbuckers in relation to the strings matter much?

Thanks

Adam
You don't want them to close to the strings because they'll interfere with the sustain, use 3 or 4mm as your starting point. For clean just use the Jazz Chorus model with plenty of treble and adjust the midrange so it doesn't get wooly. For the other stuff you want the midrange fairly high so the sound will have some body, but not too much bass in case it swamps the sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com