I have big problems with two strings above the string I bend! They allways get in touch and make terrible noise by touching each other and producing loud sound while playing. I can manage it somehow when I play some soft, slow stuff like November Rain solo, but some hard faster stuff sounds horrible! I know, it`s all in practice, but you have to know how to practice, right?
you need use ur strumming palm to mute the strings u dont want to ring out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have the same problem. I find if I bend with the tip of my finger and protect the string I am bending from the others I don't get the noise.
Quote by jj1565
you need use ur strumming palm to mute the strings u dont want to ring out.

yes, i tried that and it`s working but I saw some major guitarists in concerts that don`t do that. Some Malmsteen video lessons I saw can prove that. Do you mute with youre palm?

Sorry about my bad english...i`m from europe......thanx a lot!!!!
well not really. i can bend with my fingertips. i dont usually tap into other strings. but it's an important part of learning.
muting, bending. all techniques come with time.

not sure how low ur action is. but sometimes ill use a guitar with slightly higher action. then im sure to use proper technique when fretting.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Malmsteen has a scalloped fretboard which makes it a lot easier for him to bend.

What guitar do you have?

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by jj1565
well not really. i can bend with my fingertips. i dont usually tap into other strings. but it's an important part of learning.
muting, bending. all techniques come with time.

not sure how low ur action is. but sometimes ill use a guitar with slightly higher action. then im sure to use proper technique when fretting.

sorry but english is my third language - i`m not familiar with this term "action"...what do you mean? It has to do something with playability or?

thanks for your time "just a girl".............
Quote by FacingUsAll
Malmsteen has a scalloped fretboard which makes it a lot easier for him to bend.

What guitar do you have?

what does it mean "scalloped fretboard"?

i have Yamaha pacifica112J, brand new ( i know, nothing special....) and Marshal MG30dfx...which is pretty solid.
Quote by IclaptonisgodI
action has to do with how hight your strings are from the fret board, the best way to change it on you guitar would be adjustting the truss rod

How has this misconception become so widely spread? That is NOT the best way to adjust your action. It is possible that adjusting your truss rod will help, but that is not what the truss rod is for.

Anyway, lower action will make it easier to fret notes, but tougher to bend, and with higher action its the other way around.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Last edited by Strat_Monkey at Mar 14, 2007,
^well yes. action is the string height off the fretboard. but it's adjusted at the saddles. not at the neck.

a tiny allen wrench, in those little holes, moves the saddle and that string up and down.
adjust to taste

the 112j is a great choice.
im not crazy about the mg30, but it should be fine for the money.

you're welcome.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
^well yes. action is the string height off the fretboard. but it's adjusted at the saddles. not at the neck.

a tiny allen wrench, in those little holes, moves the saddle and that string up and down.
adjust to taste

the 112j is a great choice.
im not crazy about the mg30, but it should be fine for the money.

you're welcome.

well you allways explain things in a best way to me...i know it`s only a womans speciality....so what`s your action on neck? and how is your bending capabilyties?

so you realize i`m just a beginner? i think you do a lot better....

mg30 gives me really nice almost identical Little Wing sound (and i`m in love with that song) and it`s pretty enough for me, also gives great bluesy sound....

you play some blues?
ok but please dont touch ur neck. ^

and thank you for the compliment.

i like to play clean. i use a blues junior amp and an epi valve junior amp.
i used to have an mg 50, but got frustrated with it after a while.

im glad u like urs tho.

i can bend, i play scales pretty slowly (as compared to the shredders around here) usually, but i like to play accurately.
i love playing my acoustics and different chords (different voicings) the most.
ive been playing over 10 years. so really, it all comes with time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 14, 2007,
well jenny, seems you are a really patient and cool person so i`m gonna "use" you some more ok? and you have great knowledge to...it`s about a little fuzz comin` out of my MG, but only my pickup selector is set on just one pickup- especial when overdrive? What could that be- the equipment is brand new!

you have blues junior amp so that means you play blues or what? I like delta blues stuff...

play Red House? I brake my fingers on it right now....
Single coils hum naturally, with the overdrive on, this amplifies it even more. That the nose you're talking about?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^im not really into delta blues. i play modern rock. altho i admit i practice my blues scales more than most others.
i'm just a little limited when playing with others. sometimes a bit of a compromise.

i find my blues junior is great for classic, modern, college rock.

^he's right, single coils hum.
click over to ur humbucker. if the humming stops, ur all set.

if u find it's still there, then i would move the guitar cable around a little. make sure u dont have a faulty cable or loose guitar input.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by mcw00t
Single coils hum naturally, with the overdrive on, this amplifies it even more. That the nose you're talking about?

my pickups are single coil/single coil/humbucker, and every of them makes hum. But when i set it on two pickups, no matter wich one, the hum stops. So is that normal?
It`s not just a little sound comin` out, sometimes it gets on my nervs......
yes its normal, single coils generally are quiter and mellower than humbuckers but they tend to hum when too much gain/distortion. Switch to combination of single coils/humbucker to decrease/eliminate the hum. Usually in position 2 and 4 and the full-humbucker.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
yes its normal, single coils generally are quiter and mellower than humbuckers but they tend to hum when too much gain/distortion. Switch to combination of single coils/humbucker to decrease/eliminate the hum. Usually in position 2 and 4 and the full-humbucker.

yea allright, but sometimes i think that my guitar, that is not much of a higher quality (yamaha pac112), makes hum. does fender stratocaster has the same problem?i doubt it.....
I assume you are only bending one string and are using 3 fingers to bend with your ring finger on the note you wish to bend. It has been my experience that when bending on the high E, B, G or D strings that an upward bend is most effective for the A and low E of course bending downward is more effective. For me just the motion of an upward or downward bend mutes the next strings. Keep working with it. It will come and for me it is one of my favorite techniques.
Quote by shineonu
I assume you are only bending one string and are using 3 fingers to bend with your ring finger on the note you wish to bend. It has been my experience that when bending on the high E, B, G or D strings that an upward bend is most effective for the A and low E of course bending downward is more effective. For me just the motion of an upward or downward bend mutes the next strings. Keep working with it. It will come and for me it is one of my favorite techniques.

some sugestions round here were that i should mute other strings with my palm. it works kind of, but sometimes not....

you said your upward motion mutes the next strings and it works with me to. but when i release the bend, two strings above allways make some sound...you never experienced that?
Given enough gain, strats also hum, there's pretty much no escaping it if you have a lot of gain. To reduce it, you can upgrade your pickup to noiseless ones or to eliminate it completely, a noise gate.

Muting the other top strings with your palm always work, you can even use your other fingers, its just that you have to have good technique. Watch where you mute it, if its too near the bridge then you'd have similar sound to palm-muting and you dont want that. For the bottom strings, use your left index finger.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Given enough gain, strats also hum, there's pretty much no escaping it if you have a lot of gain. To reduce it, you can upgrade your pickup to noiseless ones or to eliminate it completely, a noise gate.

Muting the other top strings with your palm always work, you can even use your other fingers, its just that you have to have good technique. Watch where you mute it, if its too near the bridge then you'd have similar sound to palm-muting and you dont want that. For the bottom strings, use your left index finger.

very helpful, thanx!
Quote by littlewing2
some sugestions round here were that i should mute other strings with my palm. it works kind of, but sometimes not....

you said your upward motion mutes the next strings and it works with me to. but when i release the bend, two strings above allways make some sound...you never experienced that?

Maybe I dont seem to be having that happen because I have spent most of my time studying David Gilmour. His bends and releases are usually pretty slow so even when I release I dont seem to be getting any vibration from the surrounding strings. I am always a fan of what works best for you is how you should approach it. I know alot of guitarists that palm mute and it works great for them. Keep rockin !
Quote by shineonu
Maybe I dont seem to be having that happen because I have spent most of my time studying David Gilmour. His bends and releases are usually pretty slow so even when I release I dont seem to be getting any vibration from the surrounding strings. I am always a fan of what works best for you is how you should approach it. I know alot of guitarists that palm mute and it works great for them. Keep rockin !

thanx man...somebody round here said to me that i should make my one style with bending...for now the best results i made with palm muting....