When I use my whammy bar to bend the note higher (as in pulling it away from the guitar) is makes a squeaking noise, as if the springs or whatever are rusty, or something like that. It might have something to do with me not using the tremolo for the first year or so that I had the guitar. It's a Mexican Fender Stratocaster, and it's the tremolo bar that came with it, the kind you can unscrew from the guitar, like this one:

(Invalid img)

That might be pointless, and that might be the only kind of tremolo you can possibly get with a Strat, but I have no idea about tremolo bars, so I put it anyway.

Anyway, I've been told I should use the same stuff you use to fix squeaky doors on it, but I've also been told it will wreck my guitar. Can anyone tell me exactly what I should do?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Tremolo bars = whammy bars = are supposed to make funny noises! That's what they are there for. =S
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by sTx
Tremolo bars = whammy bars = are supposed to make funny noises! That's what they are there for. =S

Last time I checked, they don't squeak without doin a pinch harmonic or somethin while doing them.
What exactly you should do is you put sponges at the back or stuff smaller ones inside the springs. You can also try and find which are the areas that are squeaking (usually the area near the claw/trem block) and wrap insulation tape around it.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^No I think hes saying the bar itself is making a mechanical noise, one thats unintended...
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
sorry, but you cant pull a whammy bat on a strat tremolo up. just with a floyd rose.
When I use my whammy bar to bend the note higher (as in pulling it away from the guitar) is makes a squeaking noise, as if the springs or whatever are rusty, or something like that.

Um, generally speaking you aren't supposed to be able to bend upwards with a strat trem. You can get them set them up to float and give you a half-step or so of up-pull, but if you haven't done that then the noise is your guitar complaining because you're trying to do something it can't do. They could also be the sound of something thinking about breaking.

In short, stop trying to pull up on it and it should be fine.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Squeaky?I think its your springs.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Well, from looking on google, I found that strat bridges are meant to look like this:

And mine doesn't, one end is going slightly up, enabling me to bend the whammy up. It looks something like this:

It might have already been customised by someone (It has humbuckers instead of the normal strat single-coils), so is that what you mean by set up to float? As I said before, sorry if I'm being stupid, I don't know much about bridges and floating tremolos and shit like that.

And it hasn't gone like that from tremolo abuse, it went like that before I started using the tremolo.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 15, 2007,
Does it happen when you bend the strings, Mate?
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
Hmn. Check where the springs attach to the block See if it's loose when you rock that tremolo. It also could be the plate grinding against the screws that attach to the body - Hence the way it's tilted. Could be rusty springs, too.

By the way, Nice guitar. =D
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!