I've begun recording things via my computer, with my bass guitar hooked into my microphone port, and all was well and jolly while i was using guitar effects programs, up until today, i open up Guitar Rig 2, and all i get is a really loud eardrum bursting squeal.

I'm completely stumped as to what it is. I know it's something computer related, but I cant put my finger on it.

I"ve tried using Guitar FX 3 (a free guitar effects program) and all i get is the same result.
Probably because standard sound cards in computers can't do a damn thing for recording that's my guess. I think the cheapest solution to this is just buy one that is set for recording... I can't remember the exact specs needed. Something to do with Bits or Kilohertz or something maybe 24 bits and 96, 000 kH. I 'm pretty sure that's preferred for analog-digital transference or whatever the word is. Then again I could be entirely wrong with this.
Do your pickups suck? Really awful pickups are horribly microphonic, and if your mic sensitivity is really high, them the pickups can feed back like any microphone. Try rolling back the volume on the mic.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
At a guess i would say that Windows is adding a mic boost. if you go into your volume settings for Windows, then options>advanced controls. this will show your "advanced" button, click it and make sure you mic boost is off for starters.

Also, does it make that sound without your bass plugged in?
^ Agreed, also you may also want to try a diffrent program such as Audicity
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
I ran this past my in house media expert. He agrees with Applehead that if you are using Windows, check the sound levels for the mic. Also, if you are using a laptop, there are all sorts of issues there; you may want to try using a workstation computer instead. Less than high quality sound cards (which are normal with most entry level laptops) can be problematic and not able to process sound recording at certain levels (high and low end) and distort in the way you are describing.
Crap a/d converters dont help these matters. If you are using a PC, may i recommend the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for a good entry level pro soundcard.
I've tried turning mic boost off to no avail, my pickups are EMG Selects, and i had no problems doing this before but it has only just popped up and now it wont go away (the problem, that is.)
you didnt answer my question about whether or not this happens without your bass plugged in. ie, if you just open guitar rig, does the noise still happen?