Hello there everyone. I just happened to be doing some listen to my favorite new artists as well as favorite old ones and have come to a realization. It sounds different. I know that by now your probably thinking im some idiot for posting this but its true. Im a funk fan of older funk music. Whos pioneering modern funk, progressive funk, or funk rock? (beside the Chili Peppers who can we think of) Is this an area worth pioneering. Could we maybe break through and see? Tell me what u think of this rare genre.
There are a couple of more underground Funk "Loyalists" still making funk to their hearts' desires... But the Peppers are the most prominent and really the only ones deemed worthy of buzzing conversation and sadly, radio play. If enough indie bands started making Funk again, the genre will be brought back, because record companies are interested in what the kids are intereseted in. Maybe you should campaign to bring it back? In fact, I believe that's a great idea (if I do say so myself). See what you can do to get this underated genre back on its feet.

[Edit]
I'm sure if you started a UG group, you would have a pretty good crowd eventually. I would join it.
Ibanez Custom RG 120
Epiphone Custom SG Special
Line-6 Spider III 150 Combo
Marshall MG

Quote by Paul Gilbert
"Who cares what your fingers are doing? As long as it sounds cool!"

My Website

Jon Blake Music
My band plays funk... But no one cares.

I've looked around, and the only thing you will find is the Raunchy sounding stuff like the early Chilli Peppers, or the Victor Wooten/Stanley Clark prog bassists with their own slap styles.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
The only reason no one cares is because there aren't enough funk musicians out there. Why did punk get so big? Well because tons of bands played it and are still playing it. Pop-punk sissy music is big because so many little boys with high voices run around singing their music with mediocre guitar riffs... and girls like them lol. What I'm saying is, we need a large movement of funk resurrection in the indie bands. Then, funk will come back.
Ibanez Custom RG 120
Epiphone Custom SG Special
Line-6 Spider III 150 Combo
Marshall MG

Quote by Paul Gilbert
"Who cares what your fingers are doing? As long as it sounds cool!"

My Website

Jon Blake Music
My college band plays funk!!

Its great, we do a Meters cover and a James Brown cover - also i had a go at writing a funk song i love playing it, the rythms are so cool.

Anyway, I don't think there really is modern funk, theres tons of things that are funk infuenced - in fact i think most genres are. But I don't think there is any new signed funk bands, sadly.
i play funk, but im not in a band, and nobody cares about my music.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
jamiroquai. which I have just mis-spelled.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
jamiroquai. which I have just mis-spelled.

are you sure you misspelled it?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild