I asked some questions about harmonizing some time ago, but a lesson on this site is a little contradictory to what I've been told. It says that CDEFGAB tones would be, for example, harmonized in EFGABCD, if I was to use 3rds. Well, since when is, I don't know, an F a 3rd to a D... shouldn't it be harmonized with an F#?

So, in this case, my idea is that everything should be harmonized by taking only C-major scale mode into account, regardles of other modes? What if you use sharps or flats on your lead guitar... how do you harmonize it with the other? Of course this is a different scale then, but does the same rule apply? Help

EDIT: Oh, and I've been analyzing harmonized solos from Children of Bodom, and seems to me as if they insist on using clean tones while harmonizing, without sharps or flats. Does this usually give you a sense of better sound?
Last edited by Strike9 at Mar 14, 2007,
you have to harmonize by a minor third(d-f,a-c,b-d)sometimes to keep it in key like say you were playing in C major some melody like this c e d e.you would have to harmonize it by major and minor thirds for it to sound good.so the harmony would be..a c b c like that.

hope that helps.

EDIT:clean sound does not realy make it sound better.iron maiden use distiortion and it still sound awesome.

And also you wouldnt use any sharps or flats ONLY if its in C major/A minor.it would be out of key and sound bad to use sharps or flat in C.
"It's the preachers,and the teachers.Governments,close minded creatures."

my gears not worth the time it would take to put up here
Last edited by wetwilliamthe3r at Mar 14, 2007,
This helps. Just that I expressed myself a bit wrong in the edit part. They don't use "clean" tones as if with no distortion, but the C-major scale tones only (CDEFGAB) without sharps or flats. Sorry Still, there are some nice examples of clean tones used in harmony, and the first song that pops on my mind is Bard's Song from Blind Guardian. Amazing...

Anyway... I think I've got my answer. Thanks a lot.
your welcome.
"It's the preachers,and the teachers.Governments,close minded creatures."

my gears not worth the time it would take to put up here
That was confusing.

Of course you have to transpose, you'll have to work on whatever scale you're using. C is an easy scale to give examples because of its tonality, that's all. You're not gonna use a natural mode in D just because you learned it in C major.