I've been playing guitar for 9 months now and I think it's time for a new amp. I currently own a Roland Cube 15. It's a nice amp for a beginner, but I would like something better, since I am really getting into the whole guitar thing.

I play music like Incubus, Rage against the machine, RHCP, some Tool and a little metal every now and then. Although I mostly play in my bedroom, in the future I am probably going to jam a little with other musicians.

I have been doing some research myself. My budget is 1100 euro (i guess $1300) max. The Engl Thunder 50 looks really good to me. It's 50 watts which should be more than enough for bedroom level and the occasional jamming. From browsing this forum, a Marshall JCM 800 always seems to be good choice.

So my question would be: What other amps do you think would be right for me? I would prefer a combo, since my room isn't very large, and I think 50 watts is all I need. Give me your suggestions and I will see if i can test them at my local guitar shop.
If you've already tried the Engl Thunder and liked it alot then I'd say go for it.

as for the JCM800 it is best used for 80's tone like Thrash Metal,
it's pretty much an 80's machine...

for other amps I'd say a

Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Laney LC50II (not too sure though)
Mesa Dual Rectifier/Single Rectifier/Mark IV
Peavey XXX/JSX
Genz Benz Diablo

those are the amps I'd be looking at but I can't and have not tested those
but have heard good things about...

Look into a Marshall Jubilee. You can get a great chili Peppers tone and Rage from them. The reason I wouldnt say Jcm 800 is because cleans. The arent the best and they are important for chili's so. Also look into a Jcm 900. Pretty nice amp over all. Good cleans too!!
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I will look for the Mesa's, even though they are a little expensive where I live. But I will probably be able to find a used one somewhere.
A nice clean sound indeed is very important, so the JCM 900 will be added on my "to-test-list".
Unfortunately, the Silver Jubilees are very rare where I live (The Netherlands), so those will be hard to find.

Keep the suggestions coming!
You also have to remember that a real JCM800 has only one channel. That means you're gonna have to rely on an overdrive pedal and the volume knob on your guitar to go from clean to dirty to full-blown overdrive.
Ah, the JCM800...one day you will be mine...
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by hwaorang
I would prefer a combo, since my room isn't very large, and I think 50 watts is all I need.

Just so you know, 50W is enough if your room is the size of an auditorium and has a subway running thru it.

Sounds to me like you want some versatility. I'd look at the new Mesa Express amps. They switch from clean to serious OD. And they also switch from 25 or 50 (depending on the model) down to 5W, which your mother will still think is too loud. Seriously.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Just so you know, 50W is enough if your room is the size of an auditorium and has a subway running thru it.

Hmm, my room neither is the size of an auditorium nor has has a subway running through. But that pidgeon that's always sitting outside my window can be pretty damn loud .

Well, the Mesa Express has been added to the to-test-list.