Story of a New Guitarist #1

Ok. So it has been a week since I bought my guitar and amp; what have I been up to?

I've been concentrating on learning standard chords at the neck end of the fret board and can quite happily swap between the following chords:

A
Am
C
D
Dm
E
Em
G

I have been practicing the E major scale over...and over...and over again. So getting pretty nimble with my fingers on that. I expect playing the piano helps somewhat there.

I've also learnt powerchords and worked out the opening parts of Seven Nation Army (White Stripes), N.I.B. (Black Sabbath), Smoke on the Water (Deep Purple) and When I Come Around (Greenday).

I've made up a few riffs using powerchords too. One thing I've learnt with powerchords is that I find it easier to hold a 2 fingered powerchord, pushing down the higher 2 strings both with my 3rd finger than using a traditional 1st, 2nd, 3rd finger chord. Not sure if that makes any sense or not but I can't think of another way to explain it.

I think I'm progressing nicely so far. Will keep up the practice.
Gear
Guitar:
Maverick SF-1 Streetfighter
Epiphone SG G-400

Amp:
Behringer Vintager AC112
you may find when you form power chords the way you are that you'll also be fretting other strings hich you may inadvertantly sound when you strum. thats why the 3 finger version is better, allows muting of all other strings by you're 1st finger laying over them

Keep up with the good work.

Next time, though, post this in the Electric Guitar forum, so you'd get suggestions.
Sent from my iPad.
sounds like your doing well for yourself. i dont see why you posted this though, you werent really asking any questions, just moreso talking about progress.
Great work. Keep it up. Plenty of people hold power chords by barreing the 5th and the octave, it's an acceptable finger position.

As for the open position chords, now that you've learnt them you should try and transition between them.

Quote by Roybordom
sounds like your doing well for yourself. i dont see why you posted this though, you werent really asking any questions, just moreso talking about progress.

He posted his progress so far and expected us to comment. Just because it wasn't a "question" of sorts doesn't mean it doesn't warrant feedback.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Last edited by Smokey Amp at Mar 14, 2007,