Ok, well, I'm a big fan of PRS humbuckers - in your case the McCartys or Dragon IIs - but those are about $30 more a piece than you're looking to spend. Same thing with Stephens Design pickups, although he's not good if you're into instant gratification, but IMO they're well worth the wait. I'd look for something with a vintage voicing, PAF-style with Alnico II or Alnico V pickups. Stay away from ceramics. Seymour Duncan Seth Lover comes to mind. I don't know if you like chrome-covered pickups, but I love them. The Pearly Gates, '59, or Alnico II Pro would also be some considerations. DiMarzio also offers a PAF series which would also be worth looking into.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Mar 14, 2007,
Someone suggest putting two Seymour Duncan Alnico II's in there.

What about these Classic 57's I see keep coming up?
Last edited by Symphonic Waves at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by Symphonic Waves

Get the Alnico II's. I have them, and love them.

They are a low output so they are very clear and great for blues, but they still do classic rock great. They are also an amazing pickup to solo with because of their clarity. Let your amp make the distortion, your pickups don't need to.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Symphonic Waves
Are these what you're talking about?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMAPH1B

Yeah. Great pickup and cost effective.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Ok, well, I'm a big fan of PRS humbuckers - in your case the McCartys or Dragon IIs - but those are about $30 more a piece than you're looking to spend. Same thing with Stephens Design pickups, although he's not good if you're into instant gratification, but IMO they're well worth the wait. I'd look for something with a vintage voicing, PAF-style with Alnico II or Alnico V pickups. Stay away from ceramics. Seymour Duncan Seth Lover comes to mind. I don't know if you like chrome-covered pickups, but I love them. The Pearly Gates, '59, or Alnico II Pro would also be some considerations. DiMarzio also offers a PAF series which would also be worth looking into.

Seth Lovers were my first thought, closely followed by the Pearly Gates....damn you for stealing my thunder!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Symphonic Waves

No, no, no...I said Slash used two Alnico II's.

I thought an Alnico II in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge would be a good combo and cover all your tones.

The Seth Lover is cool, but it can get microphonic...If I bought a set, I'd wax pot 'em.
But you don't recommend em cause they are overpriced right?

What's a PAF sound? I know it means patent applied for but I dunno what sound that is.
It's basically the 60's Les Paul humbucker sound. Think like Classic Rock.

You could get 'em, I mean, Duncans, brand new, are only about maybe 20 or 30 bucks cheaper than the Gibson pickups. If you look around at local guitar shops, you might be able to find them cheaper. I got my Duncans off of eBay for like...50 bucks, which is a great price.
No, I'll get the duncans. I just wanted to know how they sounded. I just want a bluesy/ jazzy sound, with the ability to add a little crunch for rock, but if slash used them I'm sure the Alcino II Pro in the neck right? Will be good.

But did you get them used?
I'd say swineshead condors, but with the current value of the dollar, they aren't as good value in the USA as the UK.

You basically want something that's vintage output, and alnico II wouldn't hurt either (though 5 would do it too, if the pickup is designed correctly).

And dirk, your orange name is off-putting!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?