I've been taking guitar lessons on and off for 3 years. I just got a new teacher who has hurled me back into the world of music theory without really explaining any of it and I'm just wondering, when is it all going to make sense? I'm starting to feel like I'm just the stupid one here and I should be getting it already.
ask him to explain it to you.
i can hardly imagine someone could flame me for this...
Ask him to explain the "bigger picture" to you so you know what the gist of it all is. Otherwise, try the music theory lessons on UG.
stop thinking so hard about it. learn your circle of 5/4ths, major and minor. learn that first then move on to keys and key signatures. take everything slowly. if you dont understand it dont move on because everything builds on top of each other. dont worry about modes until you understand a hell of a lot of music theory. just worry about keys, major and minor scales. then move on to something else.
hmm, seems people have a weird attitude to theory. its not a tool...it actually is music. it really isnt something u can avoid. but anyways when starting out, i learnt by just remembering that the notes are

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B

and using that I could find any note on the neck if I started from the open string, since I knew what they where. Then I went a learnt that the major scale is

T T S T T T S

T = Tone, 2 Frets
S = Semi Tone, 1 Fret

And just trying to play my major scales around the neck and in different places. And it all really just follows from there. Music theory on the guitar is generally taught very badly from what I have seen
Quote by vjferrara
stop thinking so hard about it. learn your circle of 5/4ths, major and minor. learn that first then move on to keys and key signatures. take everything slowly. if you dont understand it dont move on because everything builds on top of each other. dont worry about modes until you understand a hell of a lot of music theory. just worry about keys, major and minor scales. then move on to something else.

Quote by El Cumanés

both you guys helped a bunch. i'm starting to realize i've been really overthinking this... i'm just going to go back to basics and start from there.