Page 1 of 2
Ok, so I have decided to check this amp out, as Im looking a for a new amp. some I have looked at incl. a Jcm 900, Dsl 50 and a few others.

I decided instead of getting a head to stay with a combo for ease of travel, so could someone inform about this amp? I have heard a few clips and it can seem to do medium gain with humbuckers. and seeing as I only need medium gain that perfect. I was wondering are its cleans clean? for stuff like chili peppers? (thats important)

thanks!

p.s I wouldnt have a amp for around a month or 2 so would it be worth the wait? Unless I was to get the one speaker version. So another question is the price diff worth it for the 2x12?
When I was looking to buy a new amp my final 2 were a JCM 800 and a Vox ac30. I loved them both but I went with the JCM800 because it was cheaper. I Vox's cleans were much cleaner than the JCM800 as well.
ok vox cleans are clean. Positive side again! Hopefully I will be able to try out the Ac15 so I could atleast get a taste of what its like!!
the ac30 cleans are reallly reallly clean. They really bring out the characteristics of your guitar though, so play a decent guitar suited for the type of music and your fine. the ac30 is great, but its a very minimal amp, know it well before you buy it..if you choose to buy it.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
If cleans are critical, you should probably be looking at Fenders. The cleans on the Vox are very nice, but not as nice. I love the overdrive on it. It's an amp I've long had on my wish list, being a Beatle and Queen fan from way back.

I haven't compared the 1x12 to the 2x12 side by side, but the two speaker version definitely seems to be the norm. You're gonna push more air that way, and get a fuller sound. If you're going with the combo, you might be better off doing it right the first time and getting the 2x12 model.

Personally, I don't think that the head + 2x12 cab is any more difficult to travel with, and would be the way I'd lean. I like the idea of being able to leave a cab behind for band practice, and bring the head home to plug into another cab to practice there. I say this as a guy with a 70lb. combo. I'm pretty sure the 2x12 is more than that.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well I wouldnt have a cab see, as Im selling that along with my Marshall Dsl401. Well once the cleans are better than the dsl Im flying! I know a footswitch comes with the Vox but I dont think its a channel select, only one that turns on reverb and Tremlo. So would a basic footswitch do?

Also the over drive is something else!! I mean, Im usually into high gain amps but when I actually listened to the Od I was like "I must have this amp!"
Quote by False_God
Well I wouldnt have a cab see, as Im selling that along with my Marshall Dsl401. Well once the cleans are better than the dsl Im flying! I know a footswitch comes with the Vox but I dont think its a channel select, only one that turns on reverb and Tremlo. So would a basic footswitch do?

Also the over drive is something else!! I mean, Im usually into high gain amps but when I actually listened to the Od I was like "I must have this amp!"

The cleans are definitely really clean, its chimier and more trebley, a different clean from Fender clean which is a bit warmer.

The footswitch is only for reverb and tremelo, the channels are NOT foot switchable, but they are blendable, as in you can do normal and top boost at the same time, for some more options. You definitely need an overdrive pedal if you want footswitchability. I would go with Maxon OD808 (they used to be the manufacturer of the original Ibanez Tubescreamer so they are really copying themselves, someone will chime in if I'm wrong), Ibanez TS808 or what I should have bought, Fulltone Fulldrive-2, a little pricey but its very nice. OR you could wait, since you have 2 months to wait anyway, for the AC50 2x12 and see how that sounds, it has 2 channels which are footswitchable. I haven't heard one yet though, and the tubes are different from the AC30's so it may not be as clean, maybe more marshall sounding even.

One caveat though is that I've been having a problem with my AC30 lately with buzzing, I'm still trying to nail the culprit, which I think may be my effects or the power strip I have it attached to, since I started playing it without my effects for recording purposes and the buzzes have been none existent, so it's probably some interference from the latter.

Good luck on your search! And here's a pic of my amp (she's a little pic wh0re )

Last edited by hattori DONso at Mar 14, 2007,
Well ive tried it and it has nice cleans. From what i remember the cleans were good, but Vox had better completly clean cleans. But if you get to the point where the cleans are just breaking up, then this amp is heaven.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
ya thats sorta what i want for songs like By The Way by Chili's.. suweet tone...
Quote by Gabel
Well ive tried it and it has nice cleans. From what i remember the cleans were good, but Vox had better completly clean cleans. But if you get to the point where the cleans are just breaking up, then this amp is heaven.

yeah.

tis a nice amp. they have them in music maker and musician inc in dublin, if you want to try them. Did the last time I was there (few months ago, just after Christmas, I think), at least.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Heck, it's already been said, but the cleans are clean...

To slightly hijack this topic: I'm ordering an AC30CC2 this weekend hopefully, but can anyone tell me a good 2x12/4x12 cab to look out for in the future to go with it?
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah.

tis a nice amp. they have them in music maker and musician inc in dublin, if you want to try them. Did the last time I was there (few months ago, just after Christmas, I think), at least.

I was there.. but im all the way in Kerry so i have to order the 15cc and put all my trust into that...
Quote by hattori DONso
...or what I should have bought, Fulltone Fulldrive-2, a little pricey but its very nice.

So I went to see the greatest Beatle cover band in the universe last night, The Fab Faux (these men deserve the plug!), and I was literally leaning on the stage. Those guys run excellent gear. I mention this now because the lead guitarist was running a Fulltone Fulldrive-2 thru a Vox AC30CC (albeit a vintage-looking tweed model), and the tone was incredible. Where I was standing, I was hearing the amp, not the PA mix. Heavenly. Seriously.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The AC15 is not just a 15 watt version of the AC30. It has a different tone, which I would describe as less warm and having a less pleasing transition from clean to OD.

If you can get your hands on the 1x12 AC30CC, get that. They sound every bit as good as the 2x12 version but are cheaper now because they didn't sell.

To Pure Morning- the Vox 2x12 is pretty good, but if you have a bit more cash you should get an Avatar 2x12 with greenbacks. If you're really loaded, go for a Weber 2x12 with Blue dogs (or 1 blue dog and a silver bell).
Get a Fender one....I personally prefer Fender's over Vox's...so far at least. I have a Hot Rod Deluxe and an AC15
Quote by Roc8995
The AC15 is not just a 15 watt version of the AC30. It has a different tone, which I would describe as less warm and having a less pleasing transition from clean to OD.

If you can get your hands on the 1x12 AC30CC, get that. They sound every bit as good as the 2x12 version but are cheaper now because they didn't sell.

Well I found the 1x12 and theirs only a 30euro price difference so I will get the 2x12.
I hear the AC30 > the AC15 by a long shot.

Definatley consider it and try it with an OCD pedal if you need that extra classic rock push (even though you already have a jcm800 )

Doesn't the CC have those blue speakers?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Go for it, i got one about two weeks ago and im so happy with it, beautiful cleans although a small bit lacking in headroom but it is loud enough to make up for it. The overdrive is absolutely Gorgeous although it mite need a boost for some heavier stuff. try it tho, it rocks
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by False_God
I was there.. but im all the way in Kerry so i have to order the 15cc and put all my trust into that...

ah. I don't think the 15 sounds the same (as roc says), though I've never been able to try them head to head.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by False_God
It says it has Vox custom GSH12-30

Bossman, where do you live? lol

I live in Cork, in a small town called Youghal
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
^really? Hmm Im not far from their haha... I knew you lived in cork for some reason.. Did you set up a a/b so you can switch channels or do you just use the ME-50?
Quote by Jinskee
Doesn't the CC have those blue speakers?

the ac30 that does come with the alnico blue speakers is like $1500 i think.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^Thanks for cleaing that up.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
no problem
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Ive tried both the AC15CC and the AC30CC. I like them both. But theyre very different. The cleans on the AC15 might not suck, but they don't compare to it's bigger brother. The amp is less clean and has a distortion more similar to a fuzz pedal than the AC30's very typical tube overdrive sound. I prefer the AC30 over the AC15 personally.

For cabs id reccomend an Orange cab with V30's (or another good V30 loaded cab). I tried an AC30CCH through an Orange 2x12 one and it really did the amp justice. The stock Vox speakers in the AC30CC are decent.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ya I will get a cab eventually, but now its not needed. Have to get that od (Ts for Gabe :cheers and a/b box!
Quote by False_God
Ya I will get a cab eventually, but now its not needed. Have to get that od (Ts for Gabe :cheers and a/b box!

As far as the a/b box, I wonder if it would do any good. The reason being is that the normal channel, which you would use for clean, and the top boost channel, for overdrive, are dependent on the master volume knob, for example:

clean = 3 or 4 on normal volume, 7 or 8 on master volume

overdrive = 7-10 on top boost, 2-4 on master volume

So you see, both are dependent on master volume so I don't know if switching would work too well, off course you could look for the sweet spot but your options would be limited in my opinion.
^ I haven't tried it, just my way of thinking since the two channels share the master volume knob.
The wharfedale speakers are really good. They are slight more bassy with less definition than the Celestion Blues, they sort of remind me of greenbacks. The Blues are really REALLY good. They are rediculously detailed and smooth and never harsh. Easily the best speaker for cleans I've ever played. But both speakers can get tones the other can't get as well. If you were getting an AC30 for more modern/indy/higher gain tones the Wharfedale might be better. Each speaker holds their own. I own both kinds and have a lot of experience with both.
As for AC30 and AC15's. They both sound similar but the AC15's have solid state rectification while the AC30's have GZ34 tube rectification which IMO is much better for these amps. And as for 2x12 vs 1x12, "real" AC30's should have 2x12 IMO but if I had a AC30 1x12 I'd change the speaker to a 30w Weber Blue. With all of the AC30's I'd switch out the tubes for higher quality ones and keep the originals for backup. I'd also solder spade-terminals onto the speaker wires (www.northcoastmusic.com does this for you),
IMO this is how I'd rank the whole VOX AC line
1- AC30 2x12 with Celestion Blues
2- AC30 2x12 with the Wharfedales
3- AC15 with celestion blue
4- AC30 1x12
5- AC15 with whatever the hell other speaker comes with it

I purposely left out the head because it's the same amp as the rest of the AC30's

And for the JCM 900 or DSL, they are totally different amps than an AC30, but of the two I'd recommend the JCM 900 for tone and versatility albiet slightly less gain
Last edited by Gutch220 at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by Gutch220

5- AC15 with whatever the hell other speaker comes with it

For some starnge reason I lol'd at that...

Thats some good info man!! Thanks So I should possibly change the stock tubes asap then?
personally I use JJ's (EL84's, ECC83S's, and a GZ34)

EDIT- I mean EL84's
Last edited by Gutch220 at Mar 15, 2007,
Nice! tho first I must get a Ts-9 and bring it to a shop to test it with a a/b box to make sure I wont be wasting my money....
Quote by False_God
^really? Hmm Im not far from their haha... I knew you lived in cork for some reason.. Did you set up a a/b so you can switch channels or do you just use the ME-50?

Really? where do you live? I didn't try the a/b yet, at the moment im trying to get my hands on a Maxon OD9 and maybe a rangemaster clone....the ME-50 is absolutely crap with it, i plugged it in once and it sucked my tone so now im selling it
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Live in tralee, which is about an hour drive lol... Ya Im getting a Ibanez TS-9 for I think 95euro from gabe, brilliant timing ay!! Ya I couldnt see the boss working with the Ac.

Sure if you ever can will you try the a/b (Cos I wont have the amp for a month or so unfortunly, but still gives me time to change my mind!!
Quote by False_God
Live in tralee, which is about an hour drive lol... Ya Im getting a Ibanez TS-9 for I think 95euro from gabe, brilliant timing ay!! Ya I couldnt see the boss working with the Ac.

Sure if you ever can will you try the a/b (Cos I wont have the amp for a month or so unfortunly, but still gives me time to change my mind!!

Cool, im often down around Tralee, the Aquadome is pretty cool. I'l try to get my hands on an A/B switch and try that out....i'd imagine it should work alright, can't see why it wouldn't
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90