I'm a self taught musician and I'm looking to learn a few guitar solos to help with my speed. You guys are always pretty awsome with your advice so I thought I would ask here: What are some of the solo's that are recommended to learn first, or what solo did you learn first?

Thanks in advance!
Andrew
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
learn solos that will help you gain speed learn to alternative pick first even if the solos arent fast as hell learn then and it will help and try to learn some musical therory it helps sooo ****ing much
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
My first solo was Smells Like Teen Spirit, but you could learn the November Rain solo, not to easy, not to hard and sounds awsome.
And i also recommend you to learn scales, start with the pentatonic ones.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
Highway to Hell by AC/DC...Smells Like Teen Spirit is TOO easy, you don't learn much about soloing from it whereas Highway to Hell teaches you loads for such a short solo.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try this website:
http://www.theorylessons.com
they help out alot. Go through the beginner lessons. Im self taught too and its really easy to understand how he words everything. Learn the pentatonic scales and just make sure you go slow so you understand everything thoroughly. Also, just as the person before me said, learn to alternate pick.
The more picking styles you learn the better. Just keep at it and youll get it. Practice it slow w/ the scales on that site and itll teach you what you need to learn to solo, and eventually itll get faster and better.
I hope this helped a little
hmm. first solo i ever learned was he first in beverly hills by weezer. although im n ot sure if thats on a guitar or not, but it still sounds cool. smells lke teen spirit is good. heres a really good website with a lot of songs u could learn. i learned alot from it http://www.freeguitarvideolessons.com/
The first solos I learnt were Holiday and American Idiot by Green Day
Cort M800 - £320
Cort MR780FX - £220
i learned how to solo from just knowing scales, learn your theory like relative minors and modes and you can do some inventive things with solos
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
well i`m stuck with solos to! but i think you should learn songs like November Rain or some bluesy stuff- Red House....that`s because i think feeling is more important then technic or speed. you can sit all day and you`ll learn everything, but feeling is somethin` that`s hard to learn.
The first Comfortably Numb solo and Knocking On Heavens Door (GNR) should be easy enough to tackle. Also, the Sweet Child O Min solo should be easy enough up to the really fast lick. BTW, I believe the first solo I learned was Achilles Last Stand by Led Zeppelin.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
To be honest, learning solos note for note is pointless. Learn as many licks as you can, then improvise and make your own style.
The first solo i learned was knocking on heavens door by GNR and from there i learned stuff like Whole lotta love, Hey Joe, nothing else matters, november rain, sweet child o mine, stairway to heaven. They are pretty good solos to try. The have hard parts and easy parts but they are really good for developing your technique - especially fast licks in sweet child o mine and parts of stairway.
sweet child of mine was firts solo i ever learnt, try this site, www.freelicks.net, its kristopher dahls site with tons of free stuff on, helped me alot when i was just starting off
Quote by Jonjy2
Haha! You are awesome Bucketbotman!! Lolz!!

+100

I CAN PUT MY FOOT BEHIND MY HEAD!

Gear
Ibanez RG370DX special edition!
Tanglewood Oddessy Acoustic
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960's A slant cab
Fender 40W amp
Dunlop Crybaby
My first solo was Stairway to Heaven. Ive been playing guitar for a bit and as a typical 13-14 year old, i played lots of blink 182 and the likes to get started, and theyre pretty easy. Then I decided to learn the whole of Stairway to Heaven cause I thought itll jsut make me a better guitarist. Took me a few hours to get to a decent speed and getting the solo to sound right but I managed it =)
The first solo's I learnt were:

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit,
The Strokes - Last Nite,
The Strokes - Reptilia,
The Libertines - Time for Heroes and
the main parts of Sweet Child O' Mine.

Try them out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Well, the first solo I learned was off course SLTS, and after that stuff like Californication and the first Knockin on Heavens Door solo. But it's good to learn pentatonic scales, as long as you don't depend to much on them and develop your own style. Once you play some scales, the solo in 'Even Flow' by Pearl Jam is great because it's just in one key (D).
Along with learning solos, I feel it's just as important to learn to improvise your own solos. When I was first learning, I would learn to use pentatonic scales and how to improvise over the chord progressions.

It's also important to learn solos, though, to learn about how solos are constructed and how they fit the chord progressions.

As for some easy ones:
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
Audioslave - Like A Stone (easy to play, sounds great if you have a Whammy pedal)
Fleetwood Mac - Black Magic Woman (easy solo, & progression is easy to improvise over)
Jimi Hendrix - Foxy Lady
Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (slight return)
Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower [1st solo]
Robin Trower - Day Of The Eagle
Boston - Don't Look Back
Boston - Long Time
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Pride And Joy
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Crossfire
Wolfmother - Love Train
ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man
ZZ Top - Cheap Sunglasses
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
Lynyrd Skynyrd - FreeBird
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Three Steps