I have done several threads about which guitar im goingto buy, but i still cant make up my mind. I would like an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, really nice guitar, but i cant afford it, and then we have the Epiphone G-400, also nice guitar althoght i like the Les Paul better, i can afford the G-400. I play variated kinds of rock and metal.

Which should i choose?
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
How much are the two different guitars, and how much do you have? How long would you need to save up for the Standard?
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
^The guitars arent very different, and it will probably take about 3 months or so.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
well first off the sg is solid mahogany a much better choice, the LP is a alder mahogany blend thats chambered i believe, not a true les paul sound, also the SG will be lighter and will have much better access to the upper registry of the fretboard, id say SG you get a better guitar at a better price, make sure you get a warranty though, we sell alot of Epis and almost 70% come back with wiring problems
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
more money doesnt mean it will sound better, i could make a guitar for $150 that will sound better than alot of entry to mid level guitars, you need to look at the materials, P/Us, and how they feel to you, Epi LP standards suck, the SG400s are good guitars at a fair price
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
I have been eyeing an SG400 so lets talk some more about it. I am looking for a metal sound... good choice? I have a Roland Cube 20x. How is the neck compared to my Strat, thicker, thinner, faster, slower?

More opinions about the SG400 please...
well the neck will be thicker, and the fret board will be flatter, little better for shredding, i honestly love mahogany for metal its got alot of bottom end and nice clarity, the P/Us are ok, id suggest changing them later, but ive used Epi Lps before for metal, back in my younger days, its also relatively light so it wont kill your back during a set
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
no one has suggested the les paul standard plain top, same price as the G-400 and all mahogany, besides the maple cap
I'd get the G-400. I'm trying to sell my LP now so I can buy a G-400 and put EMGs in it. Better sound to them and they are much more comfortable to play IMO. And upper fret access sucks on LPs. But it all depends on personal preference.

Go play both and see if it's worth saving for. If you want the LP save and get the LP. No use settling for a guitar you don't want.
In general. Epiphone pickups suck. They will be a little muddy for metal I find. There are a lot worse stock pickups though. But a pickup change usually makes an Epi into a great, affordable guitar. The pickups are really the only thing I would actually complain about with Epiphones.
Quote by thedude051
Les Paul Standard Plain Top. Made of solid mahogany.

So aren't the 400's. I don't like the feel of an LP at all.
Quote by Immortal_Hero
So aren't the 400's. I don't like the feel of an LP at all.

Ya, but he said he likes the LP better. The plain tops are a little cheaper than the standards depending on what finish you get it in.
Be cool.
yes but hes saving for the vintage 400, the plain top is not in his price range guys, ive already mentioned the plain top, but i would agree, epi pickups arent duncans or emgs but they also arent LH100s or ibanezs cheap PUs
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
^Cant get them in sweden.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2