My wrist got raped yesterday. Hardcore game of dodgeball.

My ulna was chipped, but my radius was split clean in two up top, with the broken piece going above and on top of the other part. The inner "ball" of my wrist went under, and my hand raised about an inch from it's normal position, and pointed inward.

They put me under (which was trippy; I was in the pediatric ward, and they had Disney movies on), then yanked until muscles pushed everything back in place.

I swear I almost cried thinking about not being able to play.

So, what should I do in my spare time?
I thought I'd read up on my theory a little, and try and improve my bass clef reading.
Theory is about all you can do, really.

Time for a classic UG joke:

Well, I guess you could always wank. Just use your good wrist!
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Ouch. Which arm?

I would recommend reading up on your theory and spending time listening and expanding your exposure to all sorts of musical genres. Also, work on developing your musical ear and the ability to hear intervals, scales etc and easily identify them. Jazz_rock posted a site on one of the threads a while back, http://good-ear.com/, that has a slew of interactive ear training exercises.

And listen to the physical therapist and doctor as far as what you can and can't do. Even with a cast you may be able to do some finger crunches soon, but listen to their advice and recommendations. I managed to play clarinet with a half arm cast (shattered left wrist) but each case is different.
Quote by Revalk
Theory is about all you can do, really.

Time for a classic UG joke:

Well, I guess you could always wank. Just use your good wrist!

Hahaha.
I'm refraining from that until the other arm loses the initial bruising.
Which, by the way, is teh suckage.
Quote by anarkee
Ouch. Which arm?

I would recommend reading up on your theory and spending time listening and expanding your exposure to all sorts of musical genres. Also, work on developing your musical ear and the ability to hear intervals, scales etc and easily identify them. Jazz_rock posted a site on one of the threads a while back, http://good-ear.com/, that has a slew of interactive ear training exercises.

And listen to the physical therapist and doctor as far as what you can and can't do. Even with a cast you may be able to do some finger crunches soon, but listen to their advice and recommendations. I managed to play clarinet with a half arm cast (shattered left wrist) but each case is different.
It'd be my left, which I figure isn't as bad as my right.

I can move fingers, but one wrong step hurts the tendons, and they're quite swollen.
And I'll definitely listen to the doctors. I can't afford to screw with this.
Sorry to hear that about your arm. Dodgeball is a serious game. None of that red rubber ball bulls***, the regulation tournament balls weigh next to nothing and is imposible to throw without it floating off course. I threw out my arm last time and will never do it again. Its not worth it.

If I had the patience to brush up on theory, I'd be all over it. Good luck. You might even be a better bassist after you heal.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
Yeah do theory.

You could also practice tapping maybe? And right hand speed if you feel up to it.
Great time for mastering theory, see this as an oppurtunity.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
What hand? either way, now is a good time to get your tapping technique down like a ninja

But yeah theory always good to know too, so definitely read up on as much as you can. try transcribing things from piano scores, that helped me quite a lot..
If it's your fretting hand try practising tapping. If it's your picking hand practise styles of fingering. Also learn some more theory.
Dodgeball? I never knew it could get so hardcore =/
I agree with everything already said, start catching up on your theory and practice tapping with the good hand.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
You should work on your right hand technique and try to improve your plucking speed and various positions. That is if you do infact pluck....... because you better.......
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Yeah improve your right hand technique in tapping and plucking, and the theory idea would be very good. Especially learning your modes and all their intervals
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Drink more milk?

but do a ton of listening, you know like bumming every cd off your friends then copying them for yourself. Just let your wrist/arm/hand heal. Although you wont be able to practice with your hands. Your brain will be working on bass sobconciously (sp)

Love the Low end
that sucks man. my right hand is broken right now n the first week or so after i broke it i couldent play. that was hard, but i can play now so its all good.
wow, that sucks.

dodgeball? did you fall on your arm?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
You can always go by the less professionally accepted method of mental practicing. If you spend the whole time convincing your brain that you can play certain songs or whatever and imagine your fingers playing them over and over, it convinces your subconscious you can and then its easier. Slightly debatable but worth a try.
Get one of those hand exersize things off of musicans freind, and play with that if you can.

Besides that, use this time to lisen to some music.
Alot of music.
WERID music!

Seriously! Go lisen to electronica, Jazz, classical, explore music more during this time where you won't be as distracted with playing Bass!