For the past few months I've been seeing that people have just become too 'nice' and giving glowing crits to EVERYONE. Some songs which I think aren't that good are getting crits like; "zomg maan thats soo awesome i luv evathing about it!! " Please stop. Giving flatering crits won't help that person one bit. Your job is to nitpick and find little faults which can make the song 'perfect'. When a song's posted here it's most probably 80-90% finished and refined. It's your job to make it that bit better. Crits like 'I can't find a single fault in it' is not going to help the person because there HAS to be something that can be made better.

Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to get that off my back.
Changed signature after 4 years.

Will take some time to make a new one.
...so? Who cares? As long as both parties are happy, let them be. Not everyone likes to hear "Your tab sucks!" cos they could have been working on it for ages. Also, you have to remember opinions n all that mate.

Theres always someone like you, isnt there?
Alright enough is enough! I've had it with these mother****ing snakes on this mother****ing plane!!!!

*ahem*

But yeah, it's kinda true. I think it's because of the Crit For Crit policy. People give really positive crits because they hope to get positive crits back. Positive feedback always makes people smile and feel warm and fuzzy inside. When someone gives you good crits you naturally don't want to sound like an ass so you praise their work too. Kinda like you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

But yeah people should be more critical. We're getting nowhere this way.

EDIT:

Not everyone likes to hear "Your tab sucks!" cos they could have been working on it for ages.

Saying "OMG this song is so cool!" is just as good as "Your tab sucks!". Crits like these won't get us anywhere. I think that the threadstarter meant that we need more constructive criticism. Really take some time to analyze and think about the song.
Last edited by Lendorav at Mar 14, 2007,
Exactly, he'll be happy, but he won't be gaining anything except an ego boost, and an inflated ego won't get you a record deal.

EDIT: V dude, they may like it, but they make it sound like it's the next Stairway to Heaven!

Last edited by siddyjain at Mar 14, 2007,
just cuz u dont like it , doesnt mean its bad. sum 1 else may like it u know.
member number 14 of the UG John frusciante fan club

Founder of the 'the John Frusciante ****ing sucks!Club!" sucks, club!
Quote by siddyjain
Exactly, he'll be happy, but he won't be gaining anything except an ego boost, and an inflated ego won't get you a record deal.

you actually think that half the people here who post tabs can actually PLAY what they made? I think of this forum as the "Stuff we WISH we could play" part, and most of it is true.

Also, if they want a record deal, they should RECORD their songs and not GP5 them.
Quote by gallagher2006
you actually think that half the people here who post tabs can actually PLAY what they made? I think of this forum as the "Stuff we WISH we could play" part, and most of it is true.

Also, if they want a record deal, they should RECORD their songs and not GP5 them.

that was just the first thing that came in my mind but you shoulda gotten the point...

GP5 is the first step, they record later, atleast that's what I do.

EDIT: by teh way..my 100th post!

Last edited by siddyjain at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by siddyjain
that was just the first thing that came in my mind but you shoulda gotten the point...

GP5 is the first step, they record later, atleast that's what I do.

Most people here will just want to make a nice sounding song on here to be acknowledged...just let them be, eh?
Yeah but everyone has to remember people differ in their opinions and what may sound horrible to one person may sound great to another. you cant look at someone and say, "hey i know theyre lying cuz it sucked" just because you didnt like it. and besides...whats the point of this thread anyway...we could be crtting some songs
Dude refer to my above post, it's not that I think they're lying, it's just that they're glossing over a few points and unnecessarily flattering the threadstarter...

btw, where are the mods? there is an unusually high number of irrelevant threads here today (not counting this one )

Quote by siddyjain
btw, where are the mods? there is an unusually high number of irrelevant threads here today (not counting this one )

Yeah they are usually like the A-Team springing into action when it comes to banning people
no i think they mostly ban people who come to previously irrelevant threads to say even more irrelevant things such as, "Thunderhorse is a fun song to learn to play".
Quote by gallagher2006

I dont know how many people this goes for but i only write stuff i can play i dont see any point in writing what you play. This is also true for everone i personaly know that writes music. im just guessing goes for most people on UG
Quote by Pieceofmind019
I dont know how many people this goes for but i only write stuff i can play i dont see any point in writing what you play. This is also true for everone i personaly know that writes music. im just guessing goes for most people on UG

I write all my rhythms so I can play em, usually I make my solos hard so I can learn to play em. It's what the band Protest The Hero did, they couldn't play the music they wrote so they forced themselves to learn it.
Quote by Eddy Hitler
just cuz u dont like it , doesnt mean its bad. sum 1 else may like it u know.

You've completely missed the point - you can still be positive, but just pick out the tiny things that make a difference. Constructive criticism is so much more useful than:

"OMG that's like so amazing!!! 10/10!!!!

...crit mine?"

Just go through the tab a few times and try and pick out the slightest things that you think could be better - even if it's just your personal taste (e.g. i'm not a fan of the dissonant chords that give the creepy effect that lots of people use on here - they may not agree with my opinion but they'll at least know what someone else's opinion is)

...right, back to that essay i've been avoiding
i agree with you 100% when i post a song on here i want to know what i can do to improve it, thats why i put it on here. i always try and tell people ways to improve and i would like people to show the same courtasy
I write things and then i learn to play them, i think it's the best way to learn to play the guitar.
Same here i get pissed when i see songs that are clearly not that good and you get ppl saying 'OMG thatz likzzthe bestestest song ive evrs heardszzz, CRIT MY SONG' they may aswell just come into the thread say the threadstarter has a big 20inch **** ask for a crit and leave. All your doing is boosting their ego instead of nit picking the imperfect parts to help make them good, just because you give someone a bad review shouldnt mean that they wont crit your piece or say your is crap because theyre bitter, it doesnt happen, (i hope )
Good to see people agree...remains to be seen if this makes any difference...

I'll give my opinion if someone asks for it. But I will not say it is good just to make them feel better. I don't even do that with my friend face to face. He does some really good stuff, but some things are not good an I say that. But he actualy likes it when I say no I don't like how that goes because it gives him insight on how other people react to his stuff. Granted it may sound good an I'll say that, but I might not personally like it so I also say that too.

Then you are on a forum so what is wrong? Are they going to get mad at you? Oh no, he might flame me!
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.
Quote by siddyjain
For the past few months I've been seeing that people have just become too 'nice' and giving glowing crits to EVERYONE. Some songs which I think aren't that good are getting crits like; "zomg maan thats soo awesome i luv evathing about it!! " Please stop. Giving flatering crits won't help that person one bit. Your job is to nitpick and find little faults which can make the song 'perfect'. When a song's posted here it's most probably 80-90% finished and refined. It's your job to make it that bit better. Crits like 'I can't find a single fault in it' is not going to help the person because there HAS to be something that can be made better.

Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to get that off my back.

I think you should get a life and worry about more important things.
yea, also people go " i like it so much, it flows great!! 10/10"
crit mine? www.ultimate-guitar.com/****

thats not even a crit

also, not many people crit back, ive crited like 10 people, only 1 has did it back
My Music
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
For a second I thought the title said "I swallowed my dick".

my gear:
fender stratocaster american deluxe SSS(s1)
G-DEC 30W amp
custom carrying case
jasmine by takamine acoustic
silvertone acoustic

AMAZING GUITAR SOLO!!!
Quote by TonicShredder
I think you should get a life and worry about more important things.

What a moron.

Just because I'm on this forum means I have no life? That took precisely 5 minutes to type up

oh i lurrve irony : you're the one making joke threads on a forum, i think YOU should get a life.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545390

Dumbfuck.

i agree most people add there music on hear only to see if people like the song they have created. ( Id rather be able to create and play the music i love then just be the guy who makes fun of people online and not to their face so he can feel better about his own)

and 99% of people dont spend their whole day sitting in front of the comp. looking through forums. ( i hope at least cause that would be pathetic)