Yes, I realize there is already a Photoshop thread. However, it does not answer my questions. Which are ; What IS Photoshop? What does it do, exactly? Is there a downloadable version? If so, where can I download it?
Thanks.
Sars
It's an image rendering application, one of the best on the market. It's really quite advanced and I can barely use it.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
It's really quite advanced and I can barely use it.

me either

and smokey, i demand that you change your avatar back to link! it was cute
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Photoshop is an image editing piece of software :P
It lets you edit images =P
Haha. There are a million different versions. Which one do you reccomend?
Quote by samuwel
me either

and smokey, i demand that you change your avatar back to link! it was cute

Nah, I like my new one.

Quote by sars
Haha. There are a million different versions. Which one do you reccomend?

Well, CS3 is the most recent, so I suppose you should get hold of that. They're all inherently the same anyway, they just have added effects and textures.

I have CS2.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Since I'm a graphic designer and I use it everyday I can prolly help you out with this.

Its actually made by Adobe, used for editing photos. You can color correct, brighten/darken, sharpen the picture, or add effects to the photo.

Howerver, Photoshop isn't just used for photos. You can pretty much do anything in it that comes to mind, its more of just an Artshop than a Photoshop. For lots of stuff I've done in the past I have just done outline drawings in ink and then scanned it, thrown it into photoshop and colored it. You can also use it for designing websites since all internet images are 72 resolusion. - Thats another good thing about photoshop, you can do resolusions so when you print it won't look bad quality. If your going to print something you always want the resolusion to be 300.

Another good thing about photoshop is it comes with image ready which is another great program for doing website stuff. Also you can do animations with it. You just do all the design work in photoshop then hop over to Imageready and then you can manipulate layers ( see more about layers at the bottom ), to make animations.

More about layers - Layers are what you can use in photoshop to make even more extravagant pieces of work. Layers have certain options such as Shadows, strokes, glowing effects and more. Also they have blending options so that it changes the appearance of what you see by changing the way the bottom layer shows through.

Well anyway, I could go on and on about this but anyway Photoshop sells for about $600 however, if you are a student in college you can get a variety pack for about $300 and that comes with Photoshop, Illustrator, and something else I think but I can't remember, Maybe its Adobe Primer or something. Oh well, hope this helped ya out.

BTW if you end up getting it, a great place to learn how to use it quickly is tutorialized.com

Oh yeah, btw here is an example of what can be made in it

GL man
My Music
[thread="475365"]My Fender Strat[/thread]
Starter of the Caught my Guitar on Fire club.
Cloud said most of it. I love the program, I use it for editting and creating new graphics, and it's totally awesome. I use version 7, though I've been thinking about getting a more recent one.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
it's expensive as hell, i know that much
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
I use GIMPshop.

its free, a lot easier to use, and allthough it has nowhere near as many features as PS, it does what I need it to.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I'm old school, I use photoshop 6 lol. I have Photoshop CS but I need a new CD key for it.
My Music
thanks a lot for the help!
considering i am a cheap bastard.. i wont be paying 600$ for a computer program any time soon..or ever, for that matter
Quote by CloudOne

Except that cant be made in Photoshop. Adobe ImageReady is for animated gifs.

But dont buy either CS2/3. Its a waste of money. Unless youre a proficient user, I wouldnt reccomend spending all that money on either of them. 7 is good, and Elements is a scaled-down version of it, although there arent as many features. If youre looking at buying, get Elements instead to learn.

But although it is coplicated, its not that hard. I am completely self taught, and I got good at it within a few months, although it took about 6 months to really get good.

Me = 100 of my Graphics Design teachers. Pfft. He hardly knew what a layer mask was...
Last edited by umop-3p!sdn at Mar 14, 2007,
I mentioned above that Image Ready is for Animating =P
My Music
my friend owns at photoshop... he made a planet from scratch... that's probably one of the best things he has done

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=71188840&MyToken=f5c15b2c-1ca1-4364-baea-5eebfbb992d4

the planet is his profile picture... you can't look at the rest though, he has some other good ones, though
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Photoshop is actually, like the name says, a photo manipulation program. Lots of people use it for original designs, but for that I recommend its brother, Illustrator.
Quote by SOADrox429
my friend owns at photoshop... he made a planet from scratch... that's probably one of the best things he has done

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=71188840&MyToken=f5c15b2c-1ca1-4364-baea-5eebfbb992d4

the planet is his profile picture... you can't look at the rest though, he has some other good ones, though

Im pretty sure you can get a tutorial for that. It wouldnt be hard, given some custom brushes.
would you guys mind posting a few pictures of each of the programs you reccomend? could turn into a cool thread
he has an account here... i don't know what his username is, or if he even gets on that much, but i'll ask him
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Quote by rabidguitarist
I use GIMPshop.

its free, a lot easier to use, and allthough it has nowhere near as many features as PS, it does what I need it to.

Can anyone send me a link for GIMP?
Quote by toxicity33
When I was like 3(4?) My friend and I hatched a plan to murder the easy-chair in my living room. We ran in there tipped it over and stabbed it a bunch(with previously aquired steak knives) and left it for dead.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/family.html

Theres the link for the Adobe Photoshop Family.

Hmm... I might get the CS3 beta...
So if I wanted to edit photos, create my own graphics and do animations I could do it all on just photoshop? or would I have to get something else as well.

Also, is it available on limewire?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
So if I wanted to edit photos, create my own graphics and do animations I could do it all on just photoshop? or would I have to get something else as well.

Also, is it available on limewire?

Yup. I think you get an animation programme if you get photoshop

Download the CS3 trial beta from their site then PM me
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Download the CS3 trial beta from their site then PM me

It only has the CS2 for free download.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
It only has the CS2 for free download.

It's right here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/family.html

click "get photoshop CS3 beta"
Oh yea, how the hell did I miss that?

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I have CS, the computers at school have CS2 and I thoroughly hate that version. Can't see CS3 being any better...

edit: alex, y the hell did you use the movie render lens flare?
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
I used photoshop to create my fake ID, its pretty perfect, all i had was the expired 30 day trial but i tricked it by scanning a piece of black paper on my comp and opening it with photoshop, when you save it and try to reopen tho it wont let you. so you have to repeat the process of rescanning.
Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time.
Quote by mister389
I have CS, the computers at school have CS2 and I thoroughly hate that version. Can't see CS3 being any better...

Trust me, it's alot better
Quote by Smokey Amp
It's an image rendering application, one of the best on the market. It's really quite advanced and I can barely use it.

don't feel bad.... my mom's a graphic design teacher and i don't know how to use it very well.....
its a layered paint type program.

paint.net at www.paint.net is a free software just like photoshop and Ive heard photoshop is coming out with a free version of their software.

also if you want to learn photoshop there are some GREAT video tutorials out at this site.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_home.php

you have to register for the site but they don't spam you or anything like that...really helped me learn the program.

after you go to that link the "Video training" area has the videos.

you'll also need something other than winamp to play with video/audio...for some reason winamp only plays the audio. K-lite media player works well and has a basic user interface.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

click the "Download K-Lite Codec Pack" and then click the " Download [ K-Lite Codec Pack 2.85 FULL ]" pack...(5th down on the list)

go though the install on that and open the photoshop videos.

good luck.