I love slash's tone. Its just saturated with LP+Marshall goodness. The thing is, I can't really tell how much OD or distortion he has. My question is: would you guys consider slash's tone metal or just heavy rock. My EH metal muff is a bit too much I think for some GnR or VR, so I was thinkin about just running the gain on my amp+ts808 or something for a bit of a boost. I just can't tell if slash is using OD or just tons of gain.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
From the ultimate settings thread:

Slash of Guns N' Roses
Gain - 6.5
Treble - 4.5
Mid - 7
Bass - 7
Presence ? 8
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
I'm not sure how much I trust that. I don't trust it at all actually because those stats on a Fender Twin wouldn't sound the same on a JCM800...not even close.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
From the ultimate settings thread:

Slash of Guns N' Roses
Gain - 6.5
Treble - 4.5
Mid - 7
Bass - 7
Presence ? 8

Settings like that are almost completely useless, because every amp responds differently to the same settings. I guess it works as a general guide though (high presence, medium treble, etc).

EDIT:
^
look, you wont get slashes tone with out buying his amp and the rest of his gear, i have a pretty similar setup (lespaul > SD alnico pickup > dunlop wah > delay (DD_6) > chorus (boss) > talk box > marshall DSL and i still dont get an exact tone, but if you insist on copying other peoples tones turn the metal muff to a little over zero on the distortion (maybe 8 o clock) and the tone and volume to suit. use the setting that Cecil Gonzales gave you but turn the amps distortion to about 6 on the clean channel and that should be close-ish.
Those settings are just a guide to get somewhere close. Even if you played on Slash's actual rig you wouldn't be able to get his tone becuase the way he holds a pick and attacks the strings has a big impact on his sound.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
It's gain, I don't think he uses any distortion or overdrive pedals, though I could be wrong. My personal tone is really similar to a Slash tone, and I'd instead recommend these settings:

Gain: 6-6.5
Bass: 7
Mid: 3.5-4
Treble: 7

Slightly different from the settings given before.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
He uses a graphic eq in front of the amp too that his tech kicks in for solos boosting certain frequencies.
Quote by jonnyguitarman
He uses a graphic eq in front of the amp too that his tech kicks in for solos boosting certain frequencies.

Yup, graphic EQs do help towards getting his sound. And uh...Ernie Ball Slinkies. Not sure, but I think he uses... .11's? That sounds right. And heavy picks, Dunlop picks. Those small things help to imitate his sound.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
my buddy has a silver jubilee, along with a 1960 LP reissue loaded with pearly gates (or whatever slash uses) and it gets pretty darn near slash's tone.
thats about 4 grand worth of crap right there, i dont know of a cheaper way.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
People without a decent ear for tone usually think slash is fairly high gain. The truth is he doesn't use alot at all.

He uses a ton of mids so crank those to about 7...put the treble and bass around 5. Depending on the amp, put the gain at about 5 or so, if you have a more metal amp put it even lower.

For the faster more raw GNR songs use the treble pickup (nighttrain, double talkin jive, etc.)...for the slower stuff use the rythm pickup, rolling the tone off some, although at low volumes don't do this because it'll take all the presence out of your amp and that can only be fixed with massive amounts of volume.

BTW...no he doesn't use an OD. its all powertube distortion. He also uses SD alnico II pickups which are a lower output. This helps with his clarity when distorted and his cleans obviously.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals