Page 1 of 2
I've been thinking lately about metal music and its definitive characteristics and it's obvious that heavy amounts of palm muting are one of the key characteristics of metal and this got me thinking...When did frequent palm muting (ie - palm muting on every drum beat) in songs begin? My guess on why it became so popular is because it contributes to the "wall of sound" feeling that metal gives you. Its as if the music is saying, "I'm coming at you and there is no room to escape because even in between notes, there is gonna be palm muting" I think it also contributes literally to the "metal" feeling because the constant chugging rhythm makes you think of some kind of metal machine with an engine such as a train.

I'm sorry if this didn't make complete sense. I tried my best to explain. Please share your thoughts about this. It is actually kind of incredible how such a simple technique like palm muting can be so effective and definitive and I am curious why you fellow metalheads out there find it so appealing. (btw, I am in no way saying all you have to do to play metal is throw in some palm mutes, I have great respect for this genre and know there are several other key characteristics).

Thank you
i dont think that palm muting became a big part of metal untill the 80s and depending on what type of metal you are playing isnt really a requirement. I would say it came to prominence with thrash.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
good point, it is more of a thrashy element although I think its safe to say, the majority of metal bands nowadays do use PMing extensively
true, but i personally think its a bit overused, i prefer to play wthout palm muting because it usually sounds heavier to me that way, though sometimes you just have to do it to prevent your sound from muddying up at high speeds.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
true, but i personally think its a bit overused, i prefer to play wthout palm muting because it usually sounds heavier to me that way, though sometimes you just have to do it to prevent your sound from muddying up at high speeds.

what tuning do you play in?
Metal has a characteristic heaviness which compliments the chunky palm mute sound.

Also, wrong forum - this should be in the Metal forum.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
what tuning do you play in?

Eb (half step down)

Quote by Bazilisck311

Its about a guitar technique, so i would say it belongs here, the metal forum is for discussing bands and stuff.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Eb (half step down)

Oh, ok, thats not drastic downtuning...Well, I guess you must be a pretty talented metal player to sound heavy without palm muting. I wouldn't mind hearing a clip of you if you have any.
Quote by Bazilisck311
Metal has a characteristic heaviness which compliments the chunky palm mute sound.

Yeah, what Thorazine said...I am discussing a technique used on electric guitar that applies to metal. I'm not talking about metal bands or the metal scene.
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
Oh, ok, thats not drastic downtuning...Well, I guess you must be a pretty talented metal player to sound heavy without palm muting. I wouldn't mind hearing a clip of you if you have any.

im working on it, and Id say tony Iommi sounds pretty damn heavy and doesnt palm mute, a lot of Doom metal guitarists dont palm mute a lot either and that stuff sounds really heavy. Too me heavyness is about having a really thick sound, not a sharp percussive one.

Last.fm
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
im working on it, and Id say tony Iommi sounds pretty damn heavy and doesnt palm mute, a lot of Doom metal guitarists dont palm mute a lot either and that stuff sounds really heavy.

true, but don't Doom metal bands usually play in like Drop D all the way down to Drop A
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
true, but don't Doom metal bands usually play in like Drop D all the way down to Drop A

yeah, but i really dont think you need to do that to sound heavy, its more about how you play, and like i said getting a really thick and sometimes agressive guitar tone.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah, but i really dont think you need to do that to sound heavy, its more about how you play, and like i said getting a really thick and sometimes agressive guitar tone.

agreed, it really is how you play more than anything
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Its about a guitar technique, so i would say it belongs here, the metal forum is for discussing bands and stuff.

It's a guitar technique used by bands of the Metal genre and he's questioning why these Metal bands use it extensively. It belongs in the Metal forum.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311
It's a guitar technique used by bands of the Metal genre and he's questioning why these Metal bands use it extensively. It belongs in the Metal forum.

I use the technique. I am not a metal band. Please unclench your buttcheeks man. Is it really killing you that this thread is in here? It's not like I asked "So, what do you think of _______'s latest album. And what do you think of their new techniques?"
Gee whiz.
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

was he saying there is no palm muting in that song?
Quote by Lumpelope

nah, I think he was saying that song is where the origins of heavy palm muting can be found
Quote by Bazilisck311

then by your logic everyone asking about good guitars/amps/effects for metal should also post in the metal forum? the only other forum that i would think might be suitable for this is musician talk.

Last.fm
Ok, because i turned it on and listening to it in the verse sections it is very heavy palm muted. I would agree then that is the beginning of palm muting. I really like it, i think it adds something to a song the a regular open or fretted note might not have. Also agree with the guy how said it helps when playing high speed stuff. I agree you can be heavy without it, but it a critical element of metal modern or older.
Quote by Lumpelope

No I was saying that that's the first metal song I can recall with extensive use of palm muting.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
I use the technique. I am not a metal band. Please unclench your buttcheeks man. Is it really killing you that this thread is in here? It's not like I asked "So, what do you think of _______'s latest album. And what do you think of their new techniques?"
Gee whiz.

Good for you. Your ability to palm mute while not in a metal band had nothing to do with why you started this thread. Please stop eating paint chips.

Yes it is, my whole life's existance is to make sure LordBattlecrisp doesn't post in the wrong forum.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
then by your logic everyone asking about good guitars/amps/effects for metal should also post in the metal forum? the only other forum that i would think might be suitable for this is musician talk.

No, because that's not by my logic. Think it over.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Mar 14, 2007,
dude...like it makes a ****ing difference it applies to both, now you're on some ego power trip. You're not even contributing to the thread. Please leave.
Quote by Lumpelope
dude...like it makes a ****ing difference it applies to both, now you're on some ego power trip. You're not even contributing to the thread. Please leave.

Right - Nice contribution
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311
Good for you. Your ability to palm mute while not in a metal band had nothing to do with why you started this thread. Please stop eating paint chips.

Yes it is, my whole life's existance is to make sure LordBattlecrisp doesn't post in the wrong forum.

Listen asshole, the main reason I created this thread was to discuss the technique of palm muting and its application to metal music. For that, it belongs in this forum. Did I say it was your life's goal to keep me from posting in the wrong forum? No. But its obviously important enough to you that you would come in here and post the crap response that you did just so you could add in "btw, this is in the wrong forum. I'm a UG security guard. Respect me." You're not a moderator, chap.

Piss off.
Quote by Bazilisck311

No, because that's not by my logic. Think it over.

Seems like it, you said that because its about something used by metal artists, and its talked about in the context of metal, it should go into the metal forum, that would also logically extend to gear and whatnot.

Last.fm
Black Sabbath had some sort of Palm muting in each song.
The Led Zepplin Song Communication Breakdown has Palm Muting.
The First Time some one has done it alot would be Blizzard of Ozz, Most of the songs have palm muting in some solos or Rythmn Parts.
Quote by Bazilisck311
Right - Nice contribution

He actually did contribute a few posts earlier, and it was a much better comment than what you originally said:

"Metal has a characteristic heaviness which compliments the chunky palm mute sound."

Yeah, brilliant response....
Quote by Guitargod12345
Black Sabbath had some sort of Palm muting in each song.
The Led Zepplin Song Communication Breakdown has Palm Muting.
The First Time some one has done it alot would be Blizzard of Ozz, Most of the songs have palm muting in some solos or Rythmn Parts.

cool, thanks for that...I will check those songs out. I'm not very versed in the classics...
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
Listen asshole, the main reason I created this thread was to discuss the technique of palm muting and its application to metal music. For that, it belongs in this forum. Did I say it was your life's goal to keep me from posting in the wrong forum? No. But its obviously important enough to you that you would come in here and post the crap response that you did just so you could add in "btw, this is in the wrong forum. I'm a UG security guard. Respect me." You're not a moderator, chap.

Piss off.

I won't deny that I'm asshole. Otherwise, it was a fucking afterthought, you could have just as easily ignored it. All three of you are making a bigger fuss than I ever was. Is it possible I thought perhaps you would have gotten a better response if it was in the right forum instead trying to brown nose a forum that's not even in the same country?

Crap response my ass, read artist interviews. A majority of the Metal Bands that write metal music which incorperate heavy palm muting have said the same thing.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Seems like it, you said that because its about something used by metal artists, and its talked about in the context of metal, it should go into the metal forum, that would also logically extend to gear and whatnot.

Dude, you are right. Don't mind him. He is just choking on the Ham & Elite sandwich that he's currently eating for lunch.
Quote by Bazilisck311
I won't deny that I'm asshole. Otherwise, it was a fucking afterthought, you could have just as easily ignored it. All three of you are making a bigger fuss than I ever was. Is it possible I thought perhaps you would have gotten a better response if it was in the right forum instead trying to brown nose a forum that's not even in the same country?

Crap response my ass, read artist interviews. A majority of the Metal Bands that write metal music which incorperate heavy palm muting have said the same thing.

Well, ya know what? I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt cause this dispute has gone on too long anyway. Assholes, however, tend to not be interested first and foremost in helping others.
Why do you exist? Do you have penis envy, what makes you think you need to come in a thread that is actually pretty cool and trying to fins out where it came from and what it's importance is. I imagine you pimple faced with a D&D shirt on (nothing wrong with D&D) and living in your mom's basement how wrong am I? not very I bet.

Ok now to palm muting.
How doesn't use it? Why do some act like it is bad thing? It is just another technique in a guitar player's arsenal.
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
Dude, you are right. Don't mind him. He is just choking on the Ham & Elite sandwich that he's currently eating for lunch.

Considering lunch was three hours ago, I must have pulled through, huh? Right now, I'm munching down on a bag of Fuck You.

Quote by Lumpelope
I imagine you pimple faced with a D&D shirt on (nothing wrong with D&D) and living in your mom's basement

That's because you have no imagination.

Quote by LordBattlecrisp
Well, ya know what? I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt cause this dispute has gone on too long anyway. Assholes, however, tend to not be interested first and foremost in helping others.

You know what? I'm think I'm going to say one thing to end an arguement with the last blow even though I used a defense based entirely on the culprit's supposidly large ego.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Lumpelope
Why do you exist? Do you have penis envy, what makes you think you need to come in a thread that is actually pretty cool and trying to fins out where it came from and what it's importance is. I imagine you pimple faced with a D&D shirt on (nothing wrong with D&D) and living in your mom's basement how wrong am I? not very I bet.

Ok now to palm muting.
How doesn't use it? Why do some act like it is bad thing? It is just another technique in a guitar player's arsenal.

I guess some people think it is overused. Me? I can't get enough palm muting. Gets me pumped up. I think because of it's percussive effect, it really makes the guitarist and the drummer become one juggernaut of an instrument rather than two separate instruments.
Quote by Bazilisck311
Considering lunch was three hours ago, I must have pulled through, huh? Right now, I'm munching down on a bag of Fuck You.

How does **** You taste? I bet its kinda bitter, eh?

Why don't you just leave the thread. Nobody in here respects what you're saying. You lose. Go pump your pork to a talk show or something...Shouldn't you be doing that anyway now?
Last edited by LordBattlecrisp at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by Bazilisck311
That's because you have no imagination.

^Bazilisck say as he removes his D&D shirt, and cries to mom for another bag of **** you
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
How does **** You taste? I bet its kinda bitter, eh?

I've had worse that night with your sister.

Quote by Lumpelope
^Bazilisck say as he removes his D&D shirt, and cries to mom for another bag of **** you

You keep workin' on that - The more you post it, the more it will sound less like half the internet has used it.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Page 1 of 2