Im currently doing a 12 bar blues piece and need a little help. I've got some nice shuffle rhythm guitar, but I am a little tuck on the solo. I just wondered if anyone could give me some shapes to play around with in the key of E. Any blues scale would do.
try to play the right pentatonic licks on the chord changes, like when you go from the E to the A play some licks in A (fifth position i think) and resolve them back to E when you get back to the E chord, it's a nice touch rather than just playin in E, try mixing the major and minor blues pentatonic too as well as the natural minor
Quote by cris9288
try to play the right pentatonic licks on the chord changes, like when you go from the E to the A play some licks in A (fifth position i think) and resolve them back to E when you get back to the E chord, it's a nice touch rather than just playin in E, try mixing the major and minor blues pentatonic too as well as the natural minor

It's not necessarily good to switch with the chords all the time.

When you're playing in a different key than the song it builds up tension that gets relieved when you move back to the I chord, that's what music is all about.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
It's not necessarily good to switch with the chords all the time.

When you're playing in a different key than the song it builds up tension that gets relieved when you move back to the I chord, that's what music is all about.

yeah i didn't mean all the time, it kinda messes up the flow, but just a small phrase on one of the chord changes doesn't hurt, like on SRV's Little Wing, but i see what you mean, personally i don't do it too often, but he seemed kinda stuck so it was just a suggestion
I just want to kind of throw this out there, it's not really the blues pentatonic. Pentatonic implies 5 distinct notes in the scale. The blues scale has 6.

But yeah, use that.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.