As youve probably guessed from the title of this thread i suk at tapping, so can anyone give me any good advise?You See the problem is i dont even really know what frets to hammer and also i cant get it loud enough
Last edited by TokaiRocker2000 at Mar 14, 2007,
practise slow, keep distortion up, and it helps if you can already legato, and yeah, toha33, over funk is awesome.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
practice the tapping part of eruption... and just practice it alot, like slow at first and then build up speed
i had trouble with tapping when i first started attempting it. Make sure your tapping finger is striking the string at an angle, and not perpendicular to the fretboard. When you release your tapping finger, kind of give the string a light strum upon release. This will keep the sound going. Check out the March 2007 issue of Guitar World for an in depth and excellent lesson/discussion on tapping. There are great explanations on how to effectively tap.
don't change your settings at all. You shouldn't have to mess with ANYTHING to get taps to sound correctly. thats just bad technique

as to what notes to tap, practice scales on one string only, and just hit random notes in the scale to you get a feel for it.

when you tap, you want to hammer hard enough to sound the note, then pull off hard enough to sound the note, and both notes should sound even and consistent.

You could practice hammer, then flicking/pulling in a downward motion (to the floor) or an upward motion (towards you). It really depends on preference.

Metronome really is the way to go here
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
Quote by PissedOffGerman
practice the tapping part of eruption... and just practice it alot, like slow at first and then build up speed

I agree with this alot, this is how i developed my tapping. I now use eruption as a warm up exercise - has made my fingers stronger like no other.
really the biggest part of tapping (and kurrpt pretty much has this dead on) is that you make sure you hit the string hard enough with your fingerand you are pulling off/tapping on, with your fret hand with a decent bit of force. When done properly you should be able to tap an acoustic and have it be at a fairly audible level.
I'ts about where you hit and what way you hit it rather than how hard you hit it. Make sure your legato is nice first.
There is always a sweet spot when doing legato or tapping but you need to experiment with how you hit the fret to find it. You'll know you have it when you can hammer on with little or no strength and still get it to sound clear and accurate without gain.
Once you have found that sweet spot using legato, develope it so you can play long legato phrases and then move on to tapping.
Practice EXTREMELY slow at first to find the most economical way of doing it and then speed it up.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
i think finding that "sweet" spot as you call really does take more force than most people realize at first...

once you get a hang of it, sure, you realize it doesnt take any more force than say, doing a hammer-on from no where.
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
^ is correct, really where you hit isn't that important as long as you're not hitting the metal part of the fret. really you don't need to beat on the strings but it does need to be a good firm pop. much like your hammer ons should have a bit of force as well.
Turning gain up is redundant.

You should be able to hear it with gain or not.

What happens if you want to tap in a clean solo?

Anyway, just keep practicing, eventually your fingers will strengthen and you will be able to tap
Bugger distortion. Learn how to get tapping done well on a clean channel, or even unplugged. That way your technique and any mistakes will not be masked by distortion, so you know exactly what's wrong and how to improve it.